PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye At-Large Bid

UberZagFan
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Any chance at an at-large bid was kissed goodbye tonight! Despicable.

Everyone should be rooting for wins in Vegas now. Otherwise, it's NIT here GU comes!!!

sullyzag66
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Defcon 1.

MJ777
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Climb down from the ledge and try some Kool Aid.

UberZagFan
01-20-2011, 10:40 PM
There is no one on the ledge. It's reality.

Realistically, this team is not "winning out". How can one think that after losing at SCU and witnessing that performance tonight???

Realistically, this GU team loses 2, maybe 3, maybe more conference games.

Realistically, without the auto-bid, this GU team does not get a bid. Period.

DCZag
01-21-2011, 03:31 AM
C'mon man! One game does not a season make! Our margin for error is now razor thin - but I'll reserve my gloom and doom for after Saturday's game - swept in the bay, then I climb out the window too....

U Zig, I Zag
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Defcon 1.

I believe we, as civilians, use some kind of color system. It's glowing, bright red right now.

ZagMan
01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
C'mon man! One game does not a season make! Our margin for error is now razor thin - but I'll reserve my gloom and doom for after Saturday's game - swept in the bay, then I climb out the window too....

No... one game does not a season make, I agree, but they have lost 6 now, not one. UberZagFan may have a point.

:fingergun:

229SintoZag
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
No... one game does not a season make, I agree, but they have lost 6 now, not one. UberZagFan may have a point.

:fingergun:

We got a bid last year. With 6 losses.

And this year right now we have better wins and fewer bad losses.

Last night was our first "bad" loss of the season.

Last year we got in with two "bad" losses.

Just win and GU will be fine.

webspinnre
01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I think we're allowed 1 loss the rest of the way, and it'd better be to SMC. If we sweep in the regular season, we'd probably get in if we lost to them in the tourney again. Otherwise, we need to win the tourney.

Pure
01-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Last night was simply embarrassing. However I am not yet going to jump on the " thats it " bandwagon.

SMC looks on paper like they will give us a smack down. But I still have some faith.. Not betting the farm mind you just simply believe in GU.

Should we overcome the lethargy displayed in last night games, and play to our potential. I believe we can win out in the WCC, which will get us an at large .

But I truly am puzzled by this team. I don't know if the talent is just not as good as my Homer eyes See it. Or if we are as good , just don't seem to give a hoot.

How do you motivate this team to give it all every night ?? The fact that the league teams get psyched to play us is no secret . Its that way every year. Suck it up boys and start to kick some ass .

DO NOT LET this LOSS roll of your back. Take it personal , get mad and get to work !

Colbyspapa
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Nope, we have to win out. 13-1 in conference play is the only autobid record which will be accepted with this loss. If we go 13-1 which will be very tough now that we have given the rest of the wcc confidence, we won't have to win the tourney.

Wow, that was a horrible effort by most of our team. Rob, Meech, Keita and David, I'm giving you credit for playing hard. The rest of the team looked lazy. Sorry Steven, it wasn't a game you should be proud of even with 17 points.

cbbfanatic
01-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Beat SMC/Memphis/Portland will get you in.. even a split with SMC will do it.

Agreed if there are no other losses, but not because the memphis or portland wins will carry significant weight (they won't), but bc the overall record will get it done w an expanded field.

No more than 8 total losses to have a chance

SanDiegoZag
01-21-2011, 09:11 AM
According to Joe Lunardi's bracket math (ESPN Insider) released today, he has GU safely in the tourney as the 11th to last team to make it in. He claims that his projections are up to the minute or date (meaning to include last night's game), but I'm not sure that is the case as he seems to drop teams in the 2nd release after a loss.

Clearly GU is not a GREAT team, but keep in mind that Santa Clara should have beaten the Cougs at home back in December too. WSU got lucky thanks to some bad mistakes by Santa Clara down the stretch that allowed WSU to take them to overtime and eventually win. And that was without much of the student section...

Anyways, it certainly won't be the last regular season conference game the Zags lose this year and it likely won't be the 2nd to last game either. How they rebound against a USF team that beat them on their home floor last year will be very telling.

NovaZag
01-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Much of it will depend on how teams like Marquette, Baylor, Xavier finish their seasons, in addition to how we finish of course. Most tourney teams have at least one bad loss. Louisville, Florida, Tennessee, etc. It's not in jeapordy yet, but no more losses to teams not named St. Mary's.

When in doubt, win the WCC tourney.

MDABE80
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Nope, we have to win out. 13-1 in conference play is the only autobid record which will be accepted with this loss. If we go 13-1 which will be very tough now that we have given the rest of the wcc confidence, we won't have to win the tourney.

Wow, that was a horrible effort by most of our team. Rob, Meech, Keita and David, I'm giving you credit for playing hard. The rest of the team looked lazy. Sorry Steven, it wasn't a game you should be proud of even with 17 points.

I agree with this. I don't like to beat up the kids after a loss. Steven's head hasn't been in basketball for the past several games. I've wondered where his tough defense went. I still dunno..he's just not the same player. Love the kid but maybe his adventures have altered his dedication.

Rob's just plain tough and he's working SO hard.seemingly by himself. He's doing AA work. Elias is pretty much out of it.

So..we have 2 of our big 3 doing average work. New kids like Keita, David, Meech, etc are dug in. We need to take the rest of this season one game at a time. Hope Few prepares these kids intensely for each game. It's about th e only way to focus them.

REMEMBER! We haven't played St Marys yet. IN some ways, it's a new season. Games like last night cannot be repeated. I wonder what's happened to Eli and Steven though.....can't figure it out. Anyway, if we cannot beat SMC, maybe we set our sites a bit lower for the post season. Hey..if it's not there, it's just not there;)

gamagin
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with this. I don't like to beat up the kids after a loss. Steven's head hasn't been in basketball for the past several games. I've wondered where his tough defense went. I still dunno..he's just not the same player. Love the kid but maybe his adventures have altered his dedication.

Rob's just plain tough and he's working SO hard.seemingly by himself. He's doing AA work. Elias is pretty much out of it.

So..we have 2 of our big 3 doing average work. New kids like Keita, David, Meech, etc are dug in. We need to take the rest of this season one game at a time. Hope Few prepares these kids intensely for each game. It's about th e only way to focus them.

REMEMBER! We haven't played St Marys yet. IN some ways, it's a new season. Games like last night cannot be repeated. I wonder what's happened to Eli and Steven though.....can't figure it out. Anyway, if we cannot beat SMC, maybe we set our sites a bit lower for the post season. Hey..if it's not there, it's just not there;)

wake up call or death knell ?

I believe and hope it is a wake up call. And as you point out, the conference season is really just getting started. and frankly, as a fan of the game, besides being a fan of the Zags, it will be more interesting and could be much more exciting as well.

To all those who have been wishing for parity in the WCC, well, as far as I'm concerned, we're about halfway there. And we have raised the hopes of every other team several notches, too. All because of the SCU game.

Now it's time to settle down and plan to break their hearts.

DixieZag
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I said last week that we did not know enough about how far we have come until we have played some road games in the WCC.

I am in total agreement about Rob being a man among boys. I am a little less worried about Steven/Harris b/c they played well against LMU (especially Harris) and both got hit right in the "mind" (to quote slapshot) by weird foul calls early and seemed unsure of how to play.

It really is about the PG position. Few needs to make a big decision, the only offensive flow we got last night was with Stockton/Keita in the game, both of them should have some confidence now. I really hope that Few sees this as the ultimate "wake up" and tries a starting lineup of Stockton/Keita/Gray/Harris/Sacre.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Love the kid but maybe his adventures have altered his dedication.

Really???? this %#%#^^# again? Reality check Abe.... Ppg up highest in his career. Same with assists and steals. Shooting over 41% from 3. YOU may not like his choices in life... But seems to me it AIN'T impacting his game. Oh that is while averaging less minutes. In fact his numbers were stratospheric until he hurt his back. Give me a {#^}}* break.

sittingon50
01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Doesn't all your time on this board take away from your true calling?

Just sayin'.

RenoZag
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us to give you positive rep

JPtheBeasta
01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I wonder what's happened to Eli and Steven though.....can't figure it out.

I heared they were both limited in practice today due to splinters from riding pine last night. I'm personally giving them a pass on this one because 4 fouls and limited playing time can take away your rhythm and your aggressiveness on defense (and offense for that matter).

GUDan07
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Last night was our first "bad" loss of the season.

What do you call the WSU game?

ZagMan
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
But I truly am puzzled by this team. I don't know if the talent is just not as good as my Homer eyes See it. Or if we are as good , just don't seem to give a hoot.

How do you motivate this team to give it all every night ??

I don't think last night showed a lack of talent, or that they didn't give a hoot and weren't motivated. Well, maybe a little more motivation can't hurt, but I was more troubled by the lack of control of the ball. I yelled more at my tv when they dribbled into the middle of the pack and lost the ball, or threw a lazy pass, or otherwise lost control of the ball. They have talent, they 'pretty much' hustled (could have been better) but they had real trouble hanging onto the ball and making crisp passes except maybe stockton, his passes are amazing.

ZagMan
01-21-2011, 03:05 PM
What do you call the WSU game?

A very BAD game against a good opponent.

:agreed:

CDC84
01-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Although they are struggling (they don't have their 2nd best player), WSU is not a bad loss. The Cougs are 14-5 with an RPI of 58. That's not bad. The margin of their victory over GU was bad, but their team isn't.

Santa Clara, even with the GU win, has a RPI of 193.

kclubfounder
01-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Everyone should be rooting for wins in Vegas now. Otherwise, it's NIT here GU comes!!!

Funny stuff.

After Notre Dame we literally had no chance of getting an at-large bid. Then, 3 weeks later, the debate was how to avoid the dreaded 8/9.

Now, after our 1st loss since Notre Dame, we literally have no chance of getting an at-large bid.

My 5-year-old uses more logic and less emotion than Zag fans.

ellenvega
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I thought the 8/9 debate was wishful thinking......

I agree with those who've said we have to win out conference-wise; maybe, MAYBE we could afford one loss and it would need to be to SMC. But there's a way to go and other teams in similar situations can crash and burn.

It is what it is. We can't change it. If it ends up being an NIT year it's not the end of the world.

UberZagFan
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Uh, what was that again?

Here's hoping for 3 wins in Vegas!!!

spudzag
01-23-2011, 11:40 AM
No doubt that it's all about Vegas baby.

kclubfounder
01-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Uh, what was that again?

Here's hoping for 3 wins in Vegas!!!

Of course it is looking worse after yet another loss. Your "it's all over" statement was unfairly made prior to the USF game.

We still don't have to rely on Vegas if we put it together right now.

Win out and we are obviously in without Vegas.

Lose 1 more and we will still probably be in.

Lose 2 more and we still have a chance - I certainly wouldn't like our chance, but with the right odds I'd take a bet.

Lose 3 more and I'm absolutely in agreement.

We still have St. Marys twice, Memphis, and at Portland.

3 Extra teams get in this year, the Pac-10 and ACC are way down, and we have several wins over likely bubble teams.

It's easy to say "it's over" after every loss, but that doesn't make it true.

"It's over if we keep playing the same" is a statement I would not argue.

UberZagFan
01-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Of course it is looking worse after yet another loss. Your "it's all over" statement was unfairly made prior to the USF game.

We still don't have to rely on Vegas if we put it together right now.

Win out and we are obviously in without Vegas.

Lose 1 more and we will still probably be in.

Lose 2 more and we still have a chance - I certainly wouldn't like our chance, but with the right odds I'd take a bet.

Lose 3 more and I'm absolutely in agreement.

We still have St. Marys twice, Memphis, and at Portland.

It's easy to say "it's over" after every loss, but that doesn't make it true.

"It's over if we keep playing the same" is a statement I would not argue.

The statement that losing to SCU meant GU's at-large chances were over was not made in vacuum and was not "unfair". That was a game GU could not afford to lose because other losses (like at USF who is a much better team than SCU, IUHO) would be coming. And the statement was made with the reasonable prognosis, based on watching this team all season, that 2-3 more losses would be forthcoming. And Uber would have said @USF, @UP, @SMC, along with Memphis were all possible suspects for the Ls.

Sure, Uber would have agreed that post SCU, if GU won out and then loss in the championship game of the WCC, GU would still get an at-large. But based on past performance, no reasonable onlooker could have seriously believed GU would win out. The point was SCU was a bad loss and combined with GU's past losses, and expected future losses, was a loss GU couldn't afford to have on its resume.

And two more losses, not 3, will have this team playing at home March 15th and not in Dayton...