PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs Dons for 2nd place.

bigblahla
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
The USF Dons beat the Pilots tonight so Saturdays game is for 2nd place.

The Dons will give us everything they've got so the fellas need to step up.

We control our own destiny it's time to put together another win streak.

Go!! Zags!!! :D

Zag 77
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
There must still be a full moon out. The Bay Area trip is looking a lot tougher.

Baseline
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow, Portland being beat and GU playing for second place. how fast things change in life, this being one of them.
GU needs to pick up the intensity in their play and play more like a team, they don't have much time to get it together either.
I try and watch a lot of teams and usually can count on how they will play and how each player will do, but with GU they are all over the map and each game is like a new team. Somehow they need to jell.

EuroZag2010
01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
We absolutely cannot drop both of these games!! All of the St marys fans are grinning, we have to fight and contend we cannot lose this one !

MickMick
01-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't care how intense you play, giving the ball away 20 times will get you a road loss.

Indeed, it may have been misdirected intensity that contributed to all of those giveaways.

You can't maintain defensive intensity when you are forced to defend 20 extra possessions.

All this moaning about defense. The giveaways put way too much pressure on the defense.

Further, giveaways lead to a different type of defense. Transition defense. This involves much more running, much more chaos, and many more instances of players out of defensive position.

On top of that, Foster played extremely well when SCU was in the half court offensive set and he was going to get his points regardless of how well the Zags played defense. Hell...he was knocking down contested shots 7' beyond the arc and pulling crossover dribbles like Tim Hardaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0HRPIu02Xo). So giving him 20 free possessions isn't the real problem here?

The real problem was giving Foster all of those extra shots.

MDABE80
01-21-2011, 12:48 AM
TO's and defense...once again. Cannot win giving the ball back.

DCZag
01-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Along with MDABE80, I've been harping on this all season ---- TOs will kill us in league. They kill momentum ad stop runs. I had a bad feeling when we opened with 6 TOs in the first few minutes - never had a flow, never made a run, never had an ounce of energy.

This is the second year in a row that the Bay Area trip has bitten us in the butt. Only saving grace is that Portland lost to USF. We need to learn from this, move on and get ready for the Dons.

NEC26
01-21-2011, 04:29 AM
I don't care how intense you play, giving the ball away 20 times will get you a road loss.

Indeed, it may have been misdirected intensity that contributed to all of those giveaways.

You can't maintain defensive intensity when you are forced to defend 20 extra possessions.

All this moaning about defense. The giveaways put way too much pressure on the defense.

Further, giveaways lead to a different type of defense. Transition defense. This involves much more running, much more chaos, and many more instances of players out of defensive position.

On top of that, Foster played extremely well when SCU was in the half court offensive set and he was going to get his points regardless of how well the Zags played defense. Hell...he was knocking down contested shots 7' beyond the arc and pulling crossover dribbles like Tim Hardaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0HRPIu02Xo). So giving him 20 free possessions isn't the real problem here?

Mick I couldn't agree more. Turnovers have killed us in every loss. Foster hit some crazy threes at the end but for the most part(minus a couple times) the zags played pretty good D.
Their point total just kind of shot up right at the end there when the game was pretty much already decided(because of our complete lack of ability to score).

bigblahla
01-21-2011, 04:40 AM

+1

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Turnovers have killed us in every loss

Not true. Two losses had TOs of 11 or less. Not conjecture... Fact. That being said, turning the ball over is not going to help a team win games.

gamagin
01-21-2011, 06:53 AM

well said. Spot on.

ZagLawGrad
01-21-2011, 07:02 AM
It's not about X's and O's for this team. While far from the most talented Zags' team, they know what it takes to win.

It's an effort issue, plain and simple. You sometimes wonder if they know and understand what everyone else talks about----namely, GU get everyone's best shot.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2011, 07:05 AM

agreed, and don't forget those offensive boards! just killers. talk about giving up extra possessions

MDABE80
01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
LIZ....AND add that we didn't rebound or defend in those .
It's the defense, rebounding and those TO's sometimes one or two or all three. It's what's causing the losses.
Big switch is needed. Something is wrong when these gifted kids cannot get stops.

Gufan
01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
TO's and defense...once again. Cannot win giving the ball back.

I completely understand the role TO's have in losing ball games, but we gave it back 18 times to SCU's 15. Not a whole lot of difference there. Our offensive effeciency stunk, rebounding was very poor, and the defense was uninspired. In order to have won this game from a TO standpoint, the Zags would have had to limit it to about 6. Not very realistic for this team. Why couldn't the Zags capitalize on the 15 turnovers of SCU is my question. Thankfully they only missed 4 free throws (87%) or that would have been reeeaaaally ugly.

webspinnre
01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
LIZ....AND add that we didn't rebound or defend in those .
It's the defense, rebounding and those TO's sometimes one or two or all three. It's what's causing the losses.
Big switch is needed. Something is wrong when these gifted kids cannot get stops.

I'm going to disagree with you here. Yes, our defense wasn't great, but last night our offense was absolutely terrible. The turnovers were just one of the problems. We showed very little ability to effectively move the ball and move without the ball, to force the defense to adjust to us and give us easy looks.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm going to disagree with you here. Yes, our defense wasn't great, but last night our offense was absolutely terrible. The turnovers were just one of the problems. We showed very little ability to effectively move the ball and move without the ball, to force the defense to adjust to us and give us easy looks.

Like I said elsewhere. They were missing no brainer 3 ft shots. Make half of those mostly uncontested shots and the outcome is different. Oh and hold on the the damn ball.