PDA

View Full Version : Hudson, Daniels post mortem

Section 116
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Tom Hudson noted the Boncos closed the game on a 25-10 run. And Santa Clara started off 7-0, the energy in the building was high and stayed high. There was a lack of road experience for the younger players, but as Coach Daniels noted later on there were enough guys who had been here before, like Meech, Sacre, Gray, Harris for that to be no excuse. Plus Keita played well and had not been there before. Hudson noted first time the Zags trailed at half for the first time since WSU. Daniels came on and said it was an amazing game, I think there were 64 free throws on 45 fouls called. Said we need intensity, toughness, we can't let their guy (Porter with 36) go off on us. But you have to give the Bronco's credit. Hudson noted the flow of the game was tough with all the fouls and the Zags weren't able to get out and run. Daniels said it was a tale of two halfs. We can't take this loss and let it turn into two. We gotta step up Saturday. Our guys, who have been on the road before need to play well. Daniels said I don't have the stats with me but I bet the Broncs had more deflections than we did, they just played better. Noted USF was at Santa Clara recently and won so don't expect an easy time Saturday night. Hudson mentioned the remark about the Zags and the bullseye on their backs and Daniels said that is a nice thing to have rather than the other way around. "I guarantee you we will play better Saturday"!

bballbeachbum
01-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Tom Hudson noted the Boncos closed the game on a 25-10 run. And Santa Clara started off 7-0, the energy in the building was high and stayed high. There was a lack of road experience for the younger players, but as Coach Daniels noted later on there were enough guys who had been here before, like Meech, Sacre, Gray, Harris for that to be no excuse. Plus Keita played well and had not been there before. Hudson noted first time the Zags trailed at half for the first time since WSU. Daniels came on and said it was an amazing game, I think there were 64 free throws on 45 fouls called. Said we need intensity, toughness, we can't let their guy (Porter with 36) go off on us. But you have to give the Bronco's credit. Hudson noted the flow of the game was tough with all the fouls and the Zags weren't able to get out and run. Daniels said it was a tale of two halfs. We can't take this loss and let it turn into two. We gotta step up Saturday. Our guys, who have been on the road before need to play well. Daniels said I don't have the stats with me but I bet the Broncs had more deflections than we did, they just played better. Noted USF was at Santa Clara recently and won so don't expect an easy time Saturday night. Hudson mentioned the remark about the Zags and the bullseye on their backs and Daniels said that is a nice thing to have rather than the other way around. "I guarantee you we will play better Saturday"!

thanks for the write up. Saturday is HUGE!

that WCC foes get up for Gonzaga is a heck of an understatement.

http://www.thesantaclara.com/se/the-santa-clara/news/ruff-riders-give-members-free-tickets-to-gonzaga-game-1.1842437

gamagin
01-21-2011, 07:17 AM

nice report, scoop ! thanks

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Good post, as usual.

And you are so right about the bullseye. It's funny...the zags will ALWAYS have a bullseye on their backs in the WCC, no matter what kind of year we're having.

For example....even though they haven't beaten us at home in 10 years, Santa Clara rushes the floor after beating us, an unranked team? Thought it was a little humorous, but hey, at least they still respect us.

Birddog
01-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Here's the autopsy report;
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/gonmb19.html#GAME.BOX
Zags held foster to 12 pts in the first half, 7 from FT's and only a single trey. Keating made some good adjustments in the 2nd half,Foster heated up, Zags stayed with the TO spree, officials continued disrupting game flo, Zags never played with any urgency till it was too late.

DADoZAG
01-21-2011, 08:49 AM
...Zags never played with any urgency till it was too late...

...and ended the game with three unused timeouts.

Team loss, including staff.

Go ZAGS!

jazzdelmar
01-21-2011, 09:04 AM
the next honest insight any zags coach utters will be the first...

zagray
01-21-2011, 09:15 AM
The Zags have had more fouls called against them then any other WCC team thru the first four games, 78 fouls to be exact with 3 of the 4 at home! St. Mary's has 75 fouls in 5 games! The Zags first away game in conf 26 fouls whistled, second behind the 27 called in the ND game. Can't win many games on the road that way. KK cries every year the Zags get special treatment when it comes to fouls. I sure hope Libby is not trying to make a statement, nothing like costing the league big big money by making it a one bid league! Whistle some early cheap fouls on Harris, RS, SG, and the whole complection of the game has changed. All the fouls being called reflects on the ability to play aggressive defense, no way should the Zags give up 85 to a one man show! The Zags inside out game should reflect more trips to the line then all these jump shooting WCC teams. If this continues be prepared to loose a few more road games in this league!

Kiddwell
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Kiddwell would respectfully submit that Santa Clara is not a one-man show. Foster is great, but Trasolini, Dowdell, Cunningham, Roquemore, and Harrison are no slouches (among other quality contributors). Plus, they've a lot of youngsters.

After trying and trying and trying, Coach Keating's Broncos finally beat us fair and square, which makes Keating for a while anyway a SoCal superhero, after all.

Disappointment, but no sour grapes here.

:]