PDA

View Full Version : Come on KO, lets GO!!

kclubfounder
01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Kelly Olynyk needs to get going.

In my humble and unprofessional opinion, the player that is playing the farthest below his ability and/or potential is Kelly Olynyk.

It has not been my thing to call individual players out on this website, but I'm going to make an exception. I'm only doing it because I think Kelly Olynyk should be a star. And right now, Kelly Olynyk is NOT a star.

Come on! Be more aggressive! Take NO prisoners!

Stop playing like you aren't sure you belong. Trust me Kelly. You belong.

EuroZag2010
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Are we starting a bashing thread?

GUZagDenver
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM

In my humble and unprofessional opinion, the player that is playing the farthest below his ability and/or potential is Kelly Olynyk.

It has not been my thing to call individual players out on this website, but I'm going to make an exception. I'm only doing it because I think Kelly Olynyk should be a star. And right now, Kelly Olynyk is NOT a star.

Seriously. The kid is totally lost 80% of the time. I wish Sacre would punch him in the nose and wake him up. The kid is soft.

kclubfounder
01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Are we starting a bashing thread?

I suppose. I'm not a fan of the "bashing threads", but I couldn't help myself. I really want Kelly to take it to another level, and I'm getting frustrated.

EngineerZag
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
It's an "encouragement thread". :roll:

Seriously, I agree with the intent of this thread. Let's get going, big man.

allnet59
01-20-2011, 08:21 PM
harris would be second on my list. he looks awkward at times with his dribbling into the defense and jump stops also not getting away with his traveling like last year and certainly not aggresive on the boards considering his leaping abilities. i see him around another year......

Ezag
01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Harris is basically 1 dimensional with his drives, Kelly O is multi-dimensional but doesn't know how to put it together.

I agree, he looks completely lost in the offense and defense. This is no bashing just the truth. It's been a season an a half and he still lost. Keita has just started playing and though his defense is suspect at times, he looks more in tune then KO.

We can survive without KO if have to. Our biggest deficiency is point guard.
No one to run the offense or set plays.

Bombs over Zaghdad
01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
After getting the positive updates over the summer on how well Kelly was playing, I was really excited to see what he produced this year. As most of you, I have been a bit disappointed. I still think that Kelly will be a great player, but I wonder if....

He was playing with skilled players (Point Guards) who could run a team and set him up. I have to wonder if the bashing shouldn't be directed towards Kelly, but back towards our lack of skilled guard play.

Sincerely,
Missing Matt More than EVER.

MickMick
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I have been saying all along......

Spangler is going to seriously push KO next year.

Just a hunch.

Harris is just too physical with the ball in his hands. He could turn many of those offensive fouls into his own personal free throws if he could recognize when to pull up. A little less Brama Bull and a tad more clever contact would send him to the foul line often. He is great close to the rim or on a break. But you can often count on an offensive foul if EH is driving with the defense set.

adoptedzag
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
I have been saying all along......

Spangler is going to seriously push KO next year.

Just a hunch.

Harris is just too physical with the ball in his hands. He could turn many of those offensive fouls into his own personal free throws if he could recognize when to pull up. A little less Brama Bull and a tad more clever contact would send him to the foul line often. He is great close to the rim or on a break. But you can often count on an offensive foul if EH is driving with the defense set.

Remember, Pargo used to drop his shoulder like E does. It takes time and recognition. Hopefully he learns it before its too late :)

maynard g krebs
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Per the ESPN stat page, KO is 4th on the team in scoring(7.2) while 7th in minutes (15.8). He's averaging 4.9 rebounds, about the same per minute as Manny got last year and by far the best per minute on the team. Shooting 58% and 41% from 3.

While it's true that he's not a great defender or shotblocker for a big guy, double his minutes to 31 and the averages are 14.4 pts, 9.8 boards. I know it doesn't work that way, but still, the numbers suggest the bashing isn't really warranted.

bigparb
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Per the ESPN stat page, KO is 4th on the team in scoring(7.2) while 7th in minutes (15.8). He's averaging 4.9 rebounds, about the same per minute as Manny got last year and by far the best per minute on the team. Shooting 58% and 41% from 3.

While it's true that he's not a great defender or shotblocker for a big guy, double his minutes to 31 and the averages are 14.4 pts, 9.8 boards. I know it doesn't work that way, but still, the numbers suggest the bashing isn't really warranted.

all true...no doubt, but it is the hesitancy that he sometimes displays that is killing me....and not just with KO, but with Arop sometimes too and Carter as well.......its almost like the stage is too big and they won't just be aggressive and make a play.........and this kills me to say because I'm really high on both KO an Arop.....

I've been beating this drum to everyone I talk to.....our role players can't wait for Steven or Rob to make a play.....when they got an open shot....TAKE IT!!! When's the last time we saw Kelly or Arop create off the dribble in an attempt to make a play??

they need to take a page from Keita's book.....that kid isn't afraid of the stage or the moment........I hope his PT increases even more as the season moves along.....

Baseline
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Kelly is very frustrating in his style of play. His defense is soft, but its his offense that bothers me. I watched Videos of him bombing from 3 point land and being a real shooter. He gets the ball out high and does his pretend pump and dish, sometimes traveling in the process. He should take the 3 point shot when its there without hesitation. If he isn't going to do that then spend more time at the rim. When he is at the top of the key the lane to the baskit is wide open many times and he doesn't take it. Confidence aggression are needed in the game.

Harris needs to learn to pass!

WeSayZed
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I haven’t had a chance to see tonight’s game yet, but there are a couple of things to remember with Kelly. First, he’s already extremely productive. As MGK pointed out, he’s putting up very good numbers for only playing 16 minutes. If he was playing starting minutes he could easily be putting up 14 and 10 right now while shooting excellent percentages from both 2 and 3 pt range. Second, this is him about a year and a half ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYfHUkEmG0
and this is him less than a year ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjwLTYRF_hk

In the first one he’s listed at 6’10”, and in the second he looks close to the 6”11” 215 that the he measured at at the beginning of last season. His body is much different now. He’s over 7’ tall now and, what, maybe 250? He’s grown a HUGE amount, even just since last February, and there’s still a disconnect between his mind and his body at this point. There are things that he can’t do anymore at this size, like probably the 360 dunk, but there are other things he can do that he’s just learning. I agree that he has huge upside, but it’s going to take some time for it to be fully realized, because he’s physically just a very different player now than he was even less than 1 year ago ... and yet he’s still putting up 7 and 5 in only 16 minutes. Barring another 2” and 30 lbs growth spurt, he could easily be our best player next year.

WallaWallaZag
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM

i think the same thing needs to be said about manny arop...there's no way he should be playing 19 minutes and not put up a shot until an end of the game desperation 3. i don't even care if he makes his shots, he needs to be playing a lot more aggressively...we need him playing like keita on offense, either that, or keita needs to play like manny on the boards...since keita was just as bad from the boarding standpoint playing 23 minutes and not grabbing a single rebound.

U Zig, I Zag
01-21-2011, 06:39 AM
When's the last time we saw Kelly or Arop create off the dribble in an attempt to make a play??

Never. They always wait for it, sometimes they are there for putbacks, but that doesn't count. Manny can shoot, so can KO. Simple X-over or step back and shoot. Few must have the reigns on these kids unless it's an open three.

Birddog
01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
When's the last time we saw Kelly or Arop create off the dribble in an attempt to make a play??

Can't say about Arop, but Kelly has done it once or twice per game in the previous 2 or 3 games. He looked awkward as hell doing it, but he did. Personally, I don't want a 7'er creating off the dribble too much. Arop is a different story.

FuManShoes
01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Kelly should be playing like (motivated) Lamar Odom. He's a big with some handles, perimeter skills, decent passing ability and can rebound. He should be filling up the stat sheet both as a scorer, defender and facilitator. But that loping upfake crap at the top of the key is so predictable and drawn out that it's no weapon at all. He doesn't drive and when he does he lopes with no purpose.

In a way, the Zags are like the Lakers of a couple years ago and suffer from the same problems:

Gray = Our Kobe but no killer instinct
Harris = Playing like the "bad" Artest
Sacre = Bynum
Meech/Stockton = our Farmar; we have no Fischer
Olynik = Odom without the playmaking
Hoff = Radmonovic
Manny/Keita = Early, hesitant Shannon Brown with flashes of talent

FuManShoes
01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Wow, I hate the Lakers comparison so much! I think I'm going to vomit now.

It pains me, too, because I hate the Lakers, but the more I thought about it, the more similarities I saw in the mix of players we have and their strengths and weaknesses, a lot of it between the ears and in the heart. We have a bunch of role players but also a few guys who should be much more well-rounded by now. Harris should have been on the floor going after that loose ball. Kelly should be showing hard and going strong and kicking it out or dumping it off, not just swinging it around the perimeter. The image of those two letting their talents go to waste because of bad technique or lack of physicality and poise is an all-too-familiar theme.

Edited to say: Kelly shows flashes of great physicality and hustle. Perhaps the issue is he spends to much time on the perimeter. And honestly the team has far more obvious problems than KO's game.

zagitup
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Interesting comparison from last night's game, both players with 19 minutes each:

KO- 7 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 fouls
Arop- 0 pts, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 fouls

Just throwin' that out there....

zag buddy
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
It is very hard to build muscle memory when your muscles are growing all the time.

U Zig, I Zag
01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
It is very hard to build muscle memory when your muscles are growing all the time.

Yup. I think KO would have benefited from a RS. His HS moves are all gone, far gone. He still has the soft touch from deep (when he takes it) but everything else is weighed down it seems. The blocked dunk probably set him back 3 months. He won't try that again anytime soon. Too bad too. :(

WeSayZed
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Yup. I think KO would have benefited from a RS. His HS moves are all gone, far gone. He still has the soft touch from deep (when he takes it) but everything else is weighed down it seems. The blocked dunk probably set him back 3 months. He won't try that again anytime soon. Too bad too. :(
Bizarre post. Why do you think a RS year would have helped him? Do you think it would have changed his growth spurt? Also, while he has lost many of high school moves, his increased size obviously brings many benefits as well. Even now heís our best rebounder, one of our better scorers, our most efficient shooter, and one of our better 3pt shooters, and all but the last are due largely to his size and raw athleticism at this point. Strange that you donít mention any of this. I doubt that thatís an accident, however. I think sly is probably a better description of your post than bizarre.

sittingon50
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for lookin' up the stats, Maynard.

KO has been one of the most productive players when he is on the floor. To hell with how he looks while doing it! Really?

cjm720
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't mind the OP one bit, could have turned into a positive. But man what a bunch of babies posting here...one loss and the floodgates pour open.