PDA

View Full Version : Questions........

TacomaZAG
01-20-2011, 08:25 PM
How do you defend a team with one D1 level player???

Do you get the ball to the post when all three opposition bigs are in huge foul trouble with lots of tiime left???

Apparently those questions are too difficult for us to answer.

That was an unforgiveable loss, an embarassing loss. Too many things to list.

Gotta win the WCC Tourney now, or it's NIT.

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
one D1 player? that frosh pg is better than the 3 GU has....

GrizZAG
01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
How do you defend a team with one D1 level player???

Do you get the ball to the post when all three opposition bigs are in huge foul trouble with lots of tiime left???

Apparently those questions are too difficult for us to answer.

That was an unforgiveable loss, an embarassing loss. Too many things to list.

Gotta win the WCC Tourney now, or it's NIT.

Go ZAGS

When Rob and Harris are sitting on four fouls each, you know driving into the bigs would draw a charging foul so that is kind of easy to take ### shots at.

Our guys were getting phantom fouls all night, so like ice water is is going to make us look lackluster when you know the whistle is just waiting.
I wonder if MF will mention this on his show. He did after one other game. Yes, Foster was amazing. Guess what? SMC has Three Fosters!

bigblahla
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes, Foster was amazing. Guess what? SMC has Three Fosters!

None are as athletic not even Jones who is not 6'6" he's the same size as Matt Dorr at USD 6'4".

Go!! Zags!!!

BigTymeONIONS
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Our guys were getting phantom fouls all night, so like ice water is is going to make us look lackluster when you know the whistle is just waiting.

Is it the refs fault that their best player was able to shoot 14 threes? How is that even possible? At some point you just gotta deny him, box and 1, anything to try to stop him. No one in this conference should score 36 and get that many shots against Gonzaga, our athletes should be able to guard people. It doesn't make sense to me....

Pargo the Destroyer
01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Harris had the worst game I've seen him play, zero inside play, stupid fouls, stupid passes. He's not an effing 3, he is our 4. And the guy couldnt guard a corpse tonight. EXPLOITED.

GrizZAG
01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Granted you are likely correct, but you do know that SMC has three very capable quick release three point shooters I hope. I am sure MF knows...

adoptedzag
01-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Is it the refs fault that their best player was able to shoot 14 threes? How is that even possible? At some point you just gotta deny him, box and 1, anything to try to stop him. No one in this conference should score 36 and get that many shots against Gonzaga, our athletes should be able to guard people. It doesn't make sense to me....

We ran the box and one quite a bit, three times that I saw, he shot over Keita, came off a screen and hit another 3, and the other time, he drove the lane when KO was late getting over and hit a layup.

TacomaZAG
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
The entire SCU team, minus Foster, made a TOTAL of 14 field goals, including a whopping 2 from behind the arc. If the box and one doesn't work, what about a triangle and 2. Deny, Deny, Deny........Do something, anything to make someone else beat you. SCU has one.......and only one offensive threat. Everyone knew it before the game even started, and he went for a career high.

That's why this loss was embarassing and unforgiveable. Stop with the complaining about the officiating, that's the way it is in every gym in the WCC, including ours. The officials didn't take the game away, we gave it away.

Forget the talk about SMC, I hope we can get by USF.

Go ZAGS

BigTymeONIONS
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
We ran the box and one quite a bit, three times that I saw, he shot over Keita, came off a screen and hit another 3, and the other time, he drove the lane when KO was late getting over and hit a layup.

I saw that too and it honestly looked like we had never ran a box and 1 before. I was more thinking about denying him I guess when I wrote that because we should be able to guard the guys in the league with our athletes IMO. Just frustrating that he got 14 threes off...

adoptedzag
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I think the Box and one is something that's relatively new to us as a team. I don't remember seeing it until recently. I'm not even sure the team has a triangle and 2. I guess we'll see. :)

But, I digress. I totally agree that the name of the game should be deny, but Foster really moved well without the ball and our defenders couldn't keep up.

Baseline
01-21-2011, 12:54 AM
I have watched SMC play several times this year, I think they are better than last year with Sanham. Jones is very athletic and I think he will beat Harris in the dual. SMC passes like mad and really move the ball, from what I've seen of GU's defense I think it could get ugly. I hope I'm wrong and the guys prove me to be an idiot.

MDABE80
01-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Turnovers and defense. It's been the plague all year...cept in a few games.
And here's the thing: 71 pts should win games...unless the defense falters and then the to's become large. Giving theball right back is never a good thing.
An old coach years ago told me follow a guy into the can if need be. If he's not locked down....it's YOU who loses your spot.

It is sometimes best to put your best on him...and if you need two...make that work.
I fear GU's just not focused enough to win this title. SOmethings wrong. Defense and TO's are things we can control but for some reason, we took a big step back tonight.

Few must be beside himself tonight.as he should be. Sutting down one guy shouldn't hard with our talent , size and speed. What ever happened to denying someone the ball?

Well...we need to win more games. This one was plain embarrassing. SCU shouldn't be within 20 pts of the Zags..but then again , I wrote that same thing last year. My new Ipad dropped out sooner than expected and I didn't see the whole game. I might be worng a little but ......I think most saw it too. Just a death by 1000 cuts. Next time....the kids must be tougher and avenge this one...I do hope that somebody learned something from this silly loss.

MDABE80
01-21-2011, 02:29 AM
From the Spokesman.."The Bulldogs shot 47.6 percent, but their 19 turnovers were converted by Santa Clara into 22 points. The Big Three of Gray, Sacre and Harris were 9 of 24 from the field, with Gray and Harris combining to go 1 of 8 on 3s. Beyond the numbers, Santa Clara seemed to win most of the hustle plays."

Looks like we need work . Bad game all the way around. But this happens and whenit does, it's good to play the toughest defense. Save points from them. But when the kids give the ball back for 22 pts, it's impossible to win.

Timspo14
01-21-2011, 03:28 AM
None are as athletic not even Jones who is not 6'6" he's the same size as Matt Dorr at USD 6'4".

Go!! Zags!!!

I played soccer with Matt Dorr. That kid is an athlete! :p

Birddog
01-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Dorr, Matt? parents had a sense of humor.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2011, 09:03 AM

thought so, w/ Manny as the 1, too; was not effective imo

Zag4Hire
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
That defensive set, Diamond 1, was not working along with the rest of half-cooked schemes. As has been pointed out, GU didn't even look comfortable in the set as more missed assignments were apparent, at least more than usual. Was SCU a mystery? I mean I think the board here has the scouting report: Make Foster uncomfortable, get Dowdell and Tras in foul trouble, etc. I always thought GU was great at neutralizing a team with a player shooting the lights out like Lafayette and Xavier by answering on the other end. When Foster did miss, GU didn't make SCU pay on the other end. When a player starts missing and the other team capitalizes, doubt starts to creep in. GU looked weak on both ends of the floor.

One other thing: GU went on a run when SCU temporarily stopped shadowing the inbounds pass after a SCU made basket. Keating yelled at Dowdell to keep doing it. Forcing GU to work primarily in the half court set worked to perfection.