PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Game

El Voce
01-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Santa Clara is not a very good team that is coached by a not very good coach. That said, the Zags have had a ton of problems playing there, pulling out many late second half wins.

What I hope to see tonight is that the Zags play with the defensive intensity they have shown lately at home - no easy threes, contest everything, control the defensive boards, etc. If the Zags do this, it should be an easy win, and portends well for the rest of the season.

If not, then strap up for the same roller coaster ride we Zag fans go on every year.

Reborn
01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm looking forward to our first conference road game. These are always some of the toughest games of the year. We learned that last year. I think this is when Gonzaga really benefits from the tough out of conference schedule that they have, where they travel to places like Notre Dame, Baylor, Kansas St., and WSU. I think the most important thing to Mark Few is winning the conference championship, and I believe it's why he schedules tough OOC games away from K2.

The Zags are now being chiselled into the champions we know they are. I really like road victories and playing in those arenas/gyms, especially those in conference play. Playing games on the road is part of the chiselling process. Santa Clara has always been a tough game for the Zags. Few will have the boys ready to play.

ZagMan in Philly
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I think we will come out strong in the first half, and will coast the rest of the way to win by +15 plus.
Best thing about tonight's game is it will look good in HD.

Go Zags!!!

primal23
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a feeling I will not be able to watch most of the game, just because games at SCU are always so close, I get close to swearing, and with a 2 yr old, not a good thing. :doh:

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Kevin Foster again. Also, the Broncos landed a couple of players that the Zags had looked at in John McArthur and Yannick Atanga (although I believe he's either injured or redshirting).

Is anyone else looking forward to the day that Keating is fired?

EuroZag2010
01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Haha I know the bronco fans are fed up with Keating and the same striped suit at every game :)

FlyZag
01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Foster leads the league in scoring (18.7/gm) and in made 3pt baskets/gm (4). If we contain him to a reasonable number of made 3pt baskets (2-3)... then we improve our chances to win.

Trasolini had a good game against us LY. So far this year his is averaging 9pts and 5rbs. So as long as we hold him to his seasons averages... it improves our chances to win.

SCUm seems to always be a tough place to play for us. I hope we completely embarrass them so KK rethinks his assessment of the best team in the league.

I hope we show our "road toughness"

gamagin
01-20-2011, 08:19 AM
a hostile, sometimes nasty and personal, crowd is what SCU has greeted the Zags with in the past.

It shouldn't matter, but sometimes it does. We need to stick to what we do best and ignore everything else, assuming flying objects will be discouraged.

One of my favorite SCU student section signs read: "At least I don't have to go back to Spokane . . . "

I thought it was quite clever. Then I thought whoever produced it knew going in to the game that SCU was going to get whipped & decided to try and slap the Zags on the way out of the gym because coming in, SCU was in trouble.

I hope to see that sign again tonight.

Nevtelen
01-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a feeling I will not be able to watch most of the game, just because games at SCU are always so close, I get close to swearing, and with a 2 yr old, not a good thing. :doh:

You only get close to swearing? You're a better man than I, sir. :clap: My 18 month-old has probably picked up a word or two during the odd Zag game I watch before he goes to bed.

We *should* win by 15+. @ SCU though and also our first conference road game? I'm predicting a nail-biter with late-game heroics needed for us to come out on top (possibly along with foul trouble on one or more of the big 3).

BobZag
01-20-2011, 09:27 AM
If the guys come out sleepwalking again, I'll personally hold El Voce fully accountable and ask that he is denied his doughnuts for a week. :boxing:

zaguarxj
01-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Is that the 2 yr old practicing his new vocabulary in your avatar? My kids have flown the nest but my dog gets very concerned when I start yelling at the TV.

El Voce
01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
If the guys come out sleepwalking again, I'll personally hold El Voce fully accountable and ask that he is denied his doughnuts for a week. :boxing:

OK, but if they play well I get extra chocolate frosting on them!

TexasZagFan
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Don't feel too bad...I have been banned from babysitting my 4 MO grandson until March Madness has run its course.

I tried telling my daughter it wasn't my fault that David Stockton hit that half court shot at the buzzer against OSU.

When that didn't work, I tried telling her I woke him a bit early for his 11PM (CST) feeding.

Nahhh...I didn't throw the kid. He was merely awakened by my son and me letting out a big whoop after Stockton hit the shot. "Awakened" may be a bit of an understatement, I have to admit... :lmao:

TexasZagFan
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM

About...damn...time...

primal23
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
You only get close to swearing? You're a better man than I, sir. :clap: My 18 month-old has probably picked up a word or two during the odd Zag game I watch before he goes to bed.

We *should* win by 15+. @ SCU though and also our first conference road game? I'm predicting a nail-biter with late-game heroics needed for us to come out on top (possibly along with foul trouble on one or more of the big 3).

No, although she might be at the end of the season. She is actually doing her scary face, aka scary face by Jack Skellington from one of her favorite movies Nightmare Before Christmas.

siliconzag
01-20-2011, 10:05 AM
It is a formidable and hostile place. The Zags have had many narrow escapes, and even during the Dickau era lost there. As most of you know, I have a soft spot in my heart for Dick Davey, but this is a new era.

The Roughriders bring a lot of intensity and are easily the most amusing and intense student rooting section we play in the WCC. They will give the home team a good 10 points. I would consider any win at all, even by say 3 to 5 points a good win. Expect them to shoot hot, expect them to play very aggressively, and expect some homer refs.

I am in Rome right now. Roma beat Lazio last night and the town went nuts. I will be sending the Zags long distance good vibes. It is the first game I've missed at Santa Clara in over a decade. We've seen some great struggles there. When DD was coach and we bit the dust I never felt bad. If that happens with KK, sara schiffozzo.

Tanti saluti a tutti, da Roma,
Sili

dazags
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
"Best thing about tonight's game is it will look good in HD."

Best thing about tonight's game is there should be no Heister/Ehlo being that it is on ESPNU.

stretchlimo
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Foster leads the league in scoring (18.7/gm) and in made 3pt baskets/gm (4). If we contain him to a reasonable number of made 3pt baskets (2-3)... then we improve our chances to win.

Trasolini had a good game against us LY. So far this year his is averaging 9pts and 5rbs. So as long as we hold him to his seasons averages... it improves our chances to win.

My biggest concern is our defending of ball screens that involve either/both of those guys. Teams w/ good-shooting bigs who can space the floor have posed problems (Illinois & ND to name a couple). We haven't had to face that threat in awhile, so Tras & Co. make me a little nervous. Hopefully the fellas are up to the task.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-20-2011, 11:57 AM

My four year-old told me that he really doesn't like Gonzaga. That's because daddy gets too grouchy when the Zags don't play well. I'm trying to learn to be slightly less expressive of my feelings about these games...with mixed success.

Nevtelen
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
My biggest concern is our defending of ball screens that involve either/both of those guys. Teams w/ good-shooting bigs who can space the floor have posed problems (Illinois & ND to name a couple). We haven't had to face that threat in awhile, so Tras & Co. make me a little nervous. Hopefully the fellas are up to the task.

The thing about that is that we *should* be one of the best in the country at defending ball-screens for bigs with the way Rob defends out on the perimiter. I think earlier in the season Rob felt too chained to the inside defensively because of Elias' non-presence, but I'd have to actually rewatch those games to be certain (I also remember a good portion of the Illinois 3s coming due to transition, which we should be able to stop, too). Vs SCU, if we can hold Foster and Transolini below their averages, the game's over. SCU doesn't have other significant scoring threats that I'm aware of. So Rob doesn't have to worry much about any other inside players except Tras and our guards can focus on Foster.

Colbyspapa
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm predicting a blow out win where SC doesn't come within 10 of us after the first half.

Zags are really moving in the right direction. We have had 3 days of practice to prepare for this game. Our upperclassmen will bring the intensity. Elias is one week healthier. Rob is playing the best ball of his life and SG doesn't have to be the focal offensive player of our team (which is where he is most comfortable IMO). Gray may go for 30 if Harris and Sacra get off early. SC cannot defend our players. They just aren't as good.

NotoriousZ
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I got in trouble when my 4 year old son repeated an S.O.B. that he heard from Daddy :) while experiencing some mild road rage. It's not easy watching the Zags sometimes with the kids in the room!

gamagin
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I got in trouble when my 4 year old son repeated an S.O.B. that he heard from Daddy :) while experiencing some mild road rage. It's not easy watching the Zags sometimes with the kids in the room!

after a weekend of watching sports on t.v. with grandpa.

His mother reported back that out of nowhere, her son started declaring "Dog Dammit" whenever he became frustrated about anything, especially while playing.

The child was 4 at the time. Grandpa was much older, but not too old to get a good old fashioned scolding.

ZagLawGrad
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Gotta give SC credit. Looked like a pretty good coach and a pretty good team.

Bulldog
01-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Outplayed, outcoached, outreffed. = loss

GrizZAG
01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I want to say HOMERED, but it was just awful ref work down there in general. It killed our MOJO at some point. Our guys played poorly too much of that game.
SC played hard and earned it, especially in the end.

Back to the drawing board Mark...

gamagin
01-20-2011, 07:27 PM
outplayed, outcoached and outhustled, too.

one announcer I thought, pegged it. this is going to make the WCC race much more interesting.

The Zags either figure out their strengths and turn them loose, or suffer more nights like this one. we have the horses but they need to pull together,

1973Zag
01-20-2011, 07:29 PM
I think this ends the "When will we get respect" debate.

TexasZagFan
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
I think this ends the "When will we get respect" debate.

If I'm an SCU fan, I'm wondering "how come Keating can't prepare his teams like that every night?"

I'm glad I'm not an SCU fan.

I'm with those who say "flush it...it's over...win at USF on Saturday."

A dozen eggs were laid tonight. Forget about rankings, NCAA seeding, etc. Stick to worrying about the next opponent, and only the next opponent, or else you'll be remembered as the team that ended the WCC streak at 10.

RenoZag
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Santa Clara is not a very good team that is coached by a not very good coach. That said, the Zags have had a ton of problems playing there, pulling out many late second half wins.

What I hope to see tonight is that the Zags play with the defensive intensity they have shown lately at home - no easy threes, contest everything, control the defensive boards, etc. If the Zags do this, it should be an easy win, and portends well for the rest of the season.

If not, then strap up for the same roller coaster ride we Zag fans go on every year.

You want the front of the coaster or the back ?

hooter73
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
it really is the same thing every year. Keating is still an ass, WCC Refs overwork themselves, individuals still have career games against us, WCC teams who are not GU do only have two big games per year and we still struggle to get the motivation to play full games. We'll win some more and lose some bonehead games that we shouldnt lose but its the way of the world... until BYU enters the picture...

zagzilla
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Probably saved Keating's job tonight.

WccSoph
01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm predicting a blow out win where SC doesn't come within 10 of us after the first half.

Zags are really moving in the right direction. We have had 3 days of practice to prepare for this game. Our upperclassmen will bring the intensity. Elias is one week healthier. Rob is playing the best ball of his life and SG doesn't have to be the focal offensive player of our team (which is where he is most comfortable IMO). Gray may go for 30 if Harris and Sacra get off early. SC cannot defend our players. They just aren't as good.

LOL,LOL,LOL.......LOL....and more lol.....

bigblahla
01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
LOL,LOL,LOL.......LOL....and more lol.....

Out Trolling? :confused:

Go!! Zags!!!

MJ777
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
If I'm an SCU fan, I'm wondering "how come Keating can't prepare his teams like that every night?"

I'm glad I'm not an SCU fan.

I'm with those who say "flush it...it's over...win at USF on Saturday."

A dozen eggs were laid tonight. Forget about rankings, NCAA seeding, etc. Stick to worrying about the next opponent, and only the next opponent, or else you'll be remembered as the team that ended the WCC streak at 10..

If I were Keating or one of the other coaches in the conference other than SMC's Bennett, I would be wondering why the students and the other fans can't show up in force for EVERY home game to give their team the added boost like they do when the Zags are in town.

I watched the LMU-UP game last week and the building looked half empty, which I thought was strange since UP has a pretty good team this year.

Did SCU rush the floor after beating an unranked team to payback Zag fans for rushing the SCU floor to celebrate a WCC tourney win?

sullyzag66
01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Just before tipoff, the camera caught Few and Lloyd conversing. I thought at the time that they look concerned about something--more than normal pre-game jitters. Probably reading too much into it, but it made me wonder.