PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Mercury: Gonzaga Basketball Returning to Form

Zag4Hire
01-19-2011, 07:53 AM
More of a collective summary of hoops but GU hoops gets the article title and opening nod. Funny how all the quotes are from Reveno. I am sure Keating had no response. Some notes:

"I'm not sure they were hitting on all cylinders early on, like some of their teams in the past," said Portland coach Eric Reveno, whose team lost at Gonzaga two weeks ago. "But they keep getting better. You can see them figuring it out."

"They're a little different this year in that they're bigger," Reveno said. "But their athleticism is still at a different level."

It appears also a BCS team can complain about a tough non-conference schedule. I guess when you play in the Pac-10 you will need some quality wins that the conference slate will not provide.

The honest answer of the week comes from Cal coach Mike Montgomery, when asked about the benefits from playing a rugged non-conference schedule.

In addition to Kansas, a perennial powerhouse, the Bears have faced New Mexico (13-5) Temple (12-4), Notre Dame (14-4), Iowa State (14-4), Boston College (13-5), Southern Mississippi (14-3) and San Diego State (19-0).

"I don't know if we have benefited," Montgomery said. "In retrospect, it wasn't very smart. We didn't do our homework and research how good some of those teams would be."

http://www.mercurynews.com/scu-broncos/ci_17131558

DCZag
01-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the club Mike - we do it every year. I think the guys we recruit look fwd to playing the best. But seeing this years OOC schedule made me scratch my head. I believe there is a point of diminishing returns with how tough the sched is. The SDSU game is the one that we wouldn't have done on our own - at least that early

primal23
01-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Guess since Harris has struggled with injuries and lack of explosiveness Wilner has given up on his quest to have EH into trouble w/ the NCAA. LOL sorry just that still makes me laugh.

hooter73
01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Honestly with what our rankings currently are i dont know if we'd be in a much different spot now if we had have won two or three of our losses. Every year we are stuck with 7-9 seating no matter how many wins, who we play, OOC,...