PDA

View Full Version : How do Spangler & Dower compare?

Kiddwell
01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
People in the know, any thoughts? Seems they're both scorers, shot-blockers, and rebounders. (Though, yes, Spangler's an inch shorter.) Is Spangler projected to be more of a "banger" type? And Dower more of a finesse type? In what types of situations would Dower be the better choice? In what types would Spangler be the better choice?

:]

U Zig, I Zag
01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I am hoping for Ying/Yang to be perfectly honest.

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
#'s wise, it's not even close; RS is putting up cartoonish like stats, actually quite similar to Kevin Loves. Sam put up very good numbers as well, but nowhere near what Ryan is doing. That being said one would also have to compare the talent in the Minneapolis metro vs the talent in OKC.

cjm720
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
#'s wise, it's not even close; RS is putting up cartoonish like stats, actually quite similar to Kevin Loves. Sam put up very good numbers as well, but nowhere near what Ryan is doing. That being said one would also have to compare the talent in the Minneapolis metro vs the talent in OKC.

Sam played with and against many D1 players in his HS league.

CDC84
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Sam needs to become more like Spangler. Sam has got the tools, but he needs the attitude.

HillBillyZag
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
They are both Zags and both will have an important role to play in the continued success of this program . Sam has already shown what he is capable of and is still developing and improving . While Ryan is touted by many as a Casey Calvary boarder type with the skills to be a big time scorer ? If Sam keeps improving and Ryan even remotely lives up to his hype and work ethic ?, there will be plenty of minutes for both !

Pargo the Destroyer
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I want to see a big who plays above the rim. Sam doesn't, rob rarely does, Kelly rarely does, and E, well, no complaining bout him. I would like a guy who wants to tear the rim down everytime he touches the ball. Not sure if Ryan is that guy. Guess we will find out soon enough.

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
TOP QUIZ

Would you guys rather Spangler came in and was more comparable to:

OPTION A: The one guy who rides the bench for the West Virginia School of Farmacology Technology and Lab Techs (he averages like .9 ppg).

-or-

OPTION B: Blake Griffin on steroids.

I'll post my answer soon.

HillBillyZag
01-18-2011, 02:12 PM
As my old high school coach always said ? a layup or a dunk , its still two points !

U Zig, I Zag
01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
As my old high school coach always said ? a layup or a dunk , its still two points !

What was the weight limit on the peach baskets back those day, HBZ?

;)

kitzbuel
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
TOP QUIZ

Would you guys rather Spangler came in and was more comparable to:

OPTION A: The one guy who rides the bench for the West Virginia School of Farmacology Technology and Lab Techs (he averages like .9 ppg).

-or-

OPTION B: Blake Griffin on steroids.

I'll post my answer soon.
I am against the Blake Griffen on steroids. Steroids would get him suspended from the team if not kicked off.

FuManShoes
01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
How does Spangler compare to where Violette was at this point?

ZagNative
01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
How does Spangler compare to where Violette was at this point?Do they call Ryan "Chunk" down there in Oklahoma, like they did Cory in Idaho?

From "Chunk" to "Chisel" (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sp2-nDSKb_0ZLxeZWNM07QXEuRm-pyB63zIF1E6MpQI?feat=directlink)

DixieZag
01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Do we need to worry that Spangler might still be tempted by a football offer? It has happened before, though I kind of think the guy might regret it now.

ZagNative
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Do we need to worry that Spangler might still be tempted by a football offer? It has happened before, though I kind of think the guy might regret it now.Ryan's said he likes basketball better. Beside that, he's already signed his letter of intent, unlike the previous case.

crockdaddy
01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I want to see a big who plays above the rim.

I agree. I"m thinking that the next class is the one for that. Somebody like Skylar Spencer, Richard Longruss, or (yikes) Anthony Bennett would be perfect for some high-elevation rim work.

hooter73
01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
So far I dont see Dower as a finesse guy or a brute. Hes a player. Hes going to have a few years of understanding D1 on Spangler who no matter what will have to get used to this level and style. I do want a Calvary type again and hope Ryan will be in that image but am really waiting for a big ATHLETIC post or forward again.

maynard g krebs
01-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Calvary really wasn't a great rebounder (6+ rpg) except in the NCAA's, when he averaged 10. Sounds like Ryan rebounds like the NCAA tourney Casey all the time. Hope so.

MickMick
01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Who knows?

Spangler is putting up crazy numbers. You gotta love that.

Any D1 player on scholarship typically represents the best player on his high school team (not always though). The next level is best player in the conference. Then, best player(s) in the state. Then, best player(s) in the country.

I think Ryan falls somewhere in between best in his conference and best in his state.

ZagNative
01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I think Ryan falls somewhere in between best in his conference and best in his state.You know about the other talent in Oklahoma, Mick?

I'm not saying he's the best, because I haven't followed the other talent, but I've seen him referred to several times as the best HS player in Oklahoma. I wouldn't hazard a guess, because I don't know.

MickMick
01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
You know about the other talent in Oklahoma, Mick?

I'm not saying he's the best, because I haven't followed the other talent, but I've seen him referred to several times as the best HS player in Oklahoma. I wouldn't hazard a guess, because I don't know.

I put him in a window. Somewhere between best in his conference and best in the state. The upper and lower boundries, if you will.

Some guys are a level higher. Somewhere between the best in the state and the best in the country. A somewhat plural reference here. More of a grouping than individuals. Those are the guys that the traditional national powers have 1 to 3 of on their roster ie. Kentucky, Syracuse, etc.

Just "off hand" speculating. I haven't seen Spangler play, but some reports are calling him a solid "mid major". On the other hand, a couple of major conference schools offered him on short notice. He seems to have a habit of making good "first impressions" on the coaches that take a look.

I think he will be a solid player at a minimum, and may even have some star potential for GU. Especially if he can rebound as well as Mark Few has indicated. You gotta love the numbers he is putting up.

FuManShoes
01-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Can't find much video of Spangler playing, but this vid has some QB action and a touch of basketball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nex-uP1a-U#t=1m50s

bigparb
01-18-2011, 10:29 PM
....aside from the silly, innocent or funny stuff....it's full of nothing but rank amateur speculation that is based on zero, zip, nada........

its beyond me why some zag fans are so willing to flat out dis and trash a kid whom they've never seen play......no offense MM but you don't know sh?t (pardon my French) about Spangler so why even but that bull-hit (dang, there I go again) out there......I've got respect for you as a contributor here on the board, but this is below u.....

This Thread asked for someone in the know to say something......I'm still waiting.....

this threads got my blood boiling......but after typing this up I've calmed down a bit and will actually post an opinion about the topic.....

how do they compare? no idea......can't say how a kid will translate from HS to GU? will the kid blossom under the bright light or wilt? will be able to pontificate with an informed opinion once I get to see Spangler in a GU uni...........

PS: I may be wrong , but if my memory serves me, it seems that Spangler did play on an elite summer league team this last summer and did quite well.........that's all I've heard about his experience outside of Bridge Creek conference play....

Birddog
01-19-2011, 03:40 AM
Mick is right, Spangler is somewhere between best in his conferenc(Most likely he is) and best in state. This Senior Oklahoma class is considered weak. From memory, I think Only Spangler and 1 other guy in the Ok Super 5 are seniors. The best player in the state is likely a Junior down in Ardmore (Kansas is courting) and the next best are kids in Tulsa and OKC. The OKC kid is a Soph CG. Spangler could see him in playoffs as he is on the best 4A (Douglas) team in the state. That Douglas team has 1 D1 commit, the Soph and 3 kids that are getting D1 attention. Spangler's gaudy stat line might put him into the top. I think a lot has to do with tournament play when he will likely face stiffer competition. According to OK-Zagfan, Spangler lost his PG to injury last week. That might affect his stats too.

Bigparb is also right, this thread should be eliminated. How can you compare a kid who plays in a smallish school with a redshirt Freshman that is playing in a reserve role on a solid D1 team?

Lastly, Mal where do you get your information? Is it off the internet and boards like this? or are you involved in some "socially interactive" websites with the kid? You come out with these rock solid statements but without citation. I remember Ryan saying BB was his first love (A Scott Wright article IIRC), but I think that was a relatively recent development (within the last year) when interest from D1 Football schools waned.

All: why can't you let this kid grow and mature as a HS Senior. Is it really necessary to try to compare him to Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? It's PMFC to make these comparisons. Enjoy the ride, revel in the gaudy stats, and wish him well. Leave the hype alone. Remember KONG!

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2011, 05:33 AM
All: why can't you let this kid grow and mature as a HS Senior. Is it really necessary to try to compare him to Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? It's PMFC to make these comparisons. Enjoy the ride, revel in the gaudy stats, and wish him well. Leave the hype alone. Remember KONG!

Just to clarify to everyone, (which...after as many years as I have been on this board, I'm surprised that I have to), but that was a complete and total joke.

BroncoZAG615
01-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Former Zag comparisons, random NBA comparisons, inside information into his personality and loves, and claims that his attitude is better than current players.

There is no way this can go wrong.