PDA

View Full Version : 1/18/11 Bracketology - Winning is getting Zags nowhere

BobZag
01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Keep on truckin', I guess. What else can you do?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

U Zig, I Zag
01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Last four out lists WSU.

Like I tell all the 'Cougs that I have to deal with:
Call me in mid-Feb and we can discuss who is playing better and who is in better shape for the tourney.

Kiddwell
01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Good to see Saint Mary's in there. No Portland, though.

:]

Pleasant Peninsula
01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
It's simple:

Win out.

Get a good seed.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/smilies/adored.gif

El Voce
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
All the Zags can do is keep chopping wood.

zag67
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
We beat Saint Marys and that will change.

Reborn
01-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Can't expect much movement when we play LM, Pepp & Portland at home. We will have to see if we win two games on the road makes a difference, but I doubt that it will since we will be playing Santa clara and San Fran. I think we will have to wait until we play St. Mary's at home. If we win that game I woul expect to maybe make some noise, especially now since St. Mary's is at 7, and rated in the top 20 in both polls.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't like this bracket. My other alma mater is UMaine. If Maine beats Pitt in a monumental 16 v. 1 upset and Gonzaga upsets Arizona in an equally monumental 9 v. 8 upset, I'd have divided loyalties in the second round.

The Zags better keep winning. If they can get to a 6 seed, they won't have to face the dreaded UMaine Black Bear juggernaut until the Elite 8.

r92238
01-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Let's not worry for 6 wks.:cheers:

zagzilla
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Of the 4 current 1's, Pitt is the one I'd prefer but they are all daunting for a second round opponent.

I'd trade with any of the 10's and 11's in this bracket

ZZ

TacomaZAG
01-18-2011, 10:41 AM
we beat SMC and Memphis, plus Portland on the road. We have to get out of the dreaded 8/9 game, I don't care if it is higher or lower (5-7 or 10-12).

Go ZAGS

MDABE80
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
5 losses.......as the season wears on, more than 5 or 6 losses will be visited on other teams who have higher seeds right now.

We continue to win, we ascend....already we're seeing media reports that the "Zags, who had 5 VERY early season losses apparently have learned as they've run off an impressive streak.."...etc...

We win, others lose....we get a higher seed. We win one from SMC and run the table with the rest of the league...we'll be a 5 or 6. With some luck the WCC gets 3 in this year. UW's losses are just as bad as ours and their victories look hollow so far...not much to crow about.

Pac X merits higher consideration than the WCC .no doubt. BUT the "club" simply cannot ignore a nice 5 or 6 loss team who have mended their ways. Steven has GOT to return to being a defensive stopper. He's hardly in the conversation on defense anymore. He was our best defender at one time. It's a matter of effort.

We'll win with defense. Rob needs some serious help down low. Elias needs to be tougher.....Sam needs some more time. KO'sdong his part. Continued improvement is necessary. SO let's do it!

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2011, 11:36 AM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

That's fine, we match up very well with Pitt, way better than we did against 'Cuse last season.

bullzag23
01-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Andy Glockner at SI has us projected to be a 7 seed against UNC in the first round. He also has SMC winning the WCC auto bid as a 7 seed as well, and the Cougs(!) are a 10 seed. Keep in mind Lunardi's numbers show the season as if it ended today, not actual projections for end of season results.

Here's the link for SI's bracket:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_glockner/01/18/bracket.projection/index.html

titopoet
01-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess it is that time again.
Here is the link to the Bracketology matrix (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm) All the well known and little know Bracketologies. GU, overall, is listed as a the top nine seed with SMC right above them as the lowest eight seed. GU highest seed is from aa little guy at 6, (http://ocsmarchmadness.blogspot.com/), while neither realtime RPI and RPI forecast have GU in the bracket.

What to say. There is a lot of Basketball to play.

JohnOGU
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Its amazing to me the correllation with polls and seeds. Teams that keep beating cupcakes keep moving up and keep getting better seeds.

St. Mary's at a 7 is kind of a joke considering we're at a 9.

GoZags
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
5 losses.......as the season wears on, more than 5 or 6 losses will be visited on other teams who have higher seeds right now.

We continue to win, we ascend....already we're seeing media reports that the "Zags, who had 5 VERY early season losses apparently have learned as they've run off an impressive streak.."...etc...

We win, others lose....we get a higher seed. We win one from SMC and run the table with the rest of the league...we'll be a 5 or 6. With some luck the WCC gets 3 in this year. UW's losses are just as bad as ours and their victories look hollow so far...not much to crow about.

Pac X merits higher consideration than the WCC .no doubt. BUT the "club" simply cannot ignore a nice 5 or 6 loss team who have mended their ways. Steven has GOT to return to being a defensive stopper. He's hardly in the conversation on defense anymore. He was our best defender at one time. It's a matter of effort.

We'll win with defense. Rob needs some serious help down low. Elias needs to be tougher.....Sam needs some more time. KO'sdong his part. Continued improvement is necessary. SO let's do it!

Jerry Palm (www.collegerpi.com) updated his bracket today -- and he has SMC, UDub and Gonzaga all playing in 8/9 games (Washington as an 8 -- Gaels and Zags as 9's -- all different regions).

HillBillyZag
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
With all due respect , until we make a final four and/or win the thing , the NCAA Tournament Comittee will always connsider us interlopers . Like it or not ?, Fair or not ?, the darlings of the sports casters are the big BCS schools and even after we win it, we always be considered the country cousin crashing the royal wedding !

webspinnre
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Right now, we deserve an 8 or 9 seed. However, win the games we need to win SMC at least once, Portland again, Memphis, and the rest of WCC, and we go up. Get swept by SMC (or lose one of them badly) and have another loss or two in there, we've got serious problems.

NovaZag
01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Just win the WCC tourney. Don't worry about all the other games.

MickMick
01-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Just win the WCC tourney. Don't worry about all the other games.

Yep.

When you put yourself at the mercy of the selection commitee, there is always a bit of danger. Winning the conference tournament allows for a couple road "slip ups" in conference play. A team like USF jumped up and bit Colorado this year. SCU played Wazzu very tough. Zags could get caught sleepwalking a couple of times.

Reborn
01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Here is why I don't think the Zags will get caught sleeping like they did last year. The Zags have already hit bottom and are on their way up. They have not come close to peaking yet. They still have a lot to prove because they already have 5 losses, one loss at home and are not ranked in the top 25 in the polls. Everyone is clammering about St. Mary's and that's good for the Zags.

I think many people have already forgotten that GU's losses came when Elias was injured. He is just beginning to return to form. I honestly believe that the Zags are better this year than last year and will prove it.

THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!! I predict the Zags will end up a 6 or 7, and that's just where we want to be....in the bottom bracket. Stay away from the #1 seen until the Elite 8.

DixieZag
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
I agree with Reborn's logic about playing better and better. But, we will not know for sure until after we play St. Mary's. We have to beat USC and USF convincingly - something that we have not done on the road in quite some time. If we struggle in those games against teams that SMC man handled, then I will question whether we are really "peaking" or if our schedule just got easier.

We are not even a lock for the tournament. If we lose one of the games this weekend, then I think we are looking at having to win-out - to be assured that we have a birth. Our wins are looking less and less impressive and even our losses are looking less "good" - hell, K-State is playing terribly and Baylor didn't belong on the same floor as Kansas.

But, I think this team is more capable of pulling an upset in the tournament than many in the past. We have overcome a lot of adversity. There is no one that can push us around underneath. I guarantee that IF we get to the tournament, NO ONE will want to play us, b/c we play 10 guys and no one (least of all us) knows who is going to be "the guy" that day.

I don't know much, but I do know that THIS weekend is big, our first two conference road games, teams that SMC crushed, teams that we have struggled with in years past, - if we play well this weekend and win convincingly, we will know a lot more about how the season will play out.

Bogozags
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't think Joe really has a clue with his bracket at this point and time. Teams above GU keep losing and after looking at last weeks bracket, it seem GU would move up BUT in fact they moved down. Last week they were ranked 33rd and this week they moved down to 36 and the 4th nine seed.

It is just like the polls, they have no validity on determining who deserves to be ranked any more than Joe's bracket.

Selection Sunday will be the day we find out where we fit in! I will go way out on a limb and predict we will be somewhere between a six and ten seed.

Zags just need to keep winning and this weekend will be a really good test...IMO

Zagnificent
01-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Here is why I don't think the Zags will get caught sleeping like they did last year. The Zags have already hit bottom and are on their way up. They have not come close to peaking yet. They still have a lot to prove because they already have 5 losses, one loss at home and are not ranked in the top 25 in the polls. Everyone is clammering about St. Mary's and that's good for the Zags.

I think many people have already forgotten that GU's losses came when Elias was injured. He is just beginning to return to form. I honestly believe that the Zags are better this year than last year and will prove it.

THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!! I predict the Zags will end up a 6 or 7, and that's just where we want to be....in the bottom bracket. Stay away from the #1 seen until the Elite 8.

I'd prefer that seven seed, and hope to get BYU or UCONN as the two seed in the bracket. Both of those teams rely on one player heavily. Against a team like that with defenders like Gray and Goodson, I feel confident that the Zags would show up and have a great shot at winning.

FuManShoes
01-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Heard an interesting conversation on KJR this morning. Mitch was making the case that tonight's game for Washington against Arizona is the team's most important of the year because to this point UW has defeated no one who'd make the Dance if the season ended today. Lose against AZ and the Dawgs could slip 3-4 seeds if not more. They'd get in but get no favors in pod placement. Their projected 4 seed now is a sham until they actually beat someone, he says, and even then their resume will suck when the Committee digs into it. They may be a good team on the floor, but the resume isn't there.

This got me curious and I looked at Bracketology to see how the Zags measure up by the same standard:

Key wins:
Oklahoma State - projected as an 11 seed
Xavier - projected as a 12 seed
Marquette - projected as a 12 seed
Baylor - bubble out

Key losses:
SDSU - projected as a 2 seed
Notre Dame - projected as a 4 seed
Illinois - projected as a 5 seed
K St. - projected as an 8 seed
WSU - bubble out

To come:
At least two vs St Marys - projected 7 seed
Memphis - might make it
At least one more vs Portland - might make it (but only if they beat St Mary's and GU a couple times and win a WCC tourney game, which if it's against us could knock the Zags from the Dance altogether)

Basically the Zags haven't beaten anyone with a firm grasp on a ticket to the Dance. Win the WCC Tourney!

kitzbuel
01-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Winning is getting Zags nowhere

It is not getting them nowhere. If they win they do get into the tournament.

So....

Just win, baby.

MickMick
01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Here is why I don't think the Zags will get caught sleeping like they did last year.

Hmmmmm.................

Baldwinzag
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey, the good news is we are playing our way right outta of the 8-9 seed consideration and right into the range of a deserved 10-12 seed. Of course we still have to win the WCC Tourney to even receive a bid, yet at least we won't be stuck as an 8 or 9 seed again!