PDA

View Full Version : SMC cracks the top 25

Angelo Roncalli
01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
21 in coaches' poll

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

Nevtelen
01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Good for them. Hopefully they're still there when we play them (and they beat Vandy, too).

AK457
01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Good stuff; hopefully facilitates Gonzaga getting back in the top 25.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-17-2011, 08:57 AM
The Zags are sitting at no. 30 in the others receiving votes category. That sounds about right where they should be. It is hard to argue that the teams in front of them should not be there.

If the Zags keep their record clean for the next few games, they'll be in a great position to move back into the Top 25 with a win over St. Mary's. I hope that it happens.

ronh_pm
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
It would be interesting to see the voting breakdown; particularily how Randy Bennett voted.

If one was cynical it could be concieved that having a favourable ranking would help in obtaining an at large bid in case winning a tourney did not pan out..

Nevtelen
01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
It would be interesting to see the voting breakdown; particularily how Randy Bennett voted.

If one was cynical it could be concieved that having a favourable ranking would help in obtaining an at large bid in case winning a tourney did not pan out..

I would hope it does (it may or may not) and I would hope that SMC needs one and that they get one. I'd love to see 2 WCC teams in the tourney again this season (and Portland in the NIT or one of the other small tourneys again).

Baldwinzag
01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
In the three games I've watched, they certainly look the part.

I realize many have stated their competition has been lackluster compared to ours -- this is true -- yet don't discount the fact the Gaels are dominating their opponents as well.

They've only laid one egg this season; a road game at surging SDSU. They should have beaten BYU and they're ranked in the Top-10 nationally in every statistical category imaginable.

Simply put: they are a Top-25 team and deserve such rankings, yet I believe the Zags are as well. We're just realizing it on the court & in our minds...it'll show soon enough.

Good for St Mary's. Above all else, they're right where we want 'em. :)

zagzilla
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Beat Memphis and then knock off SMC on the 27th (assuming they don't stumble) and we should move in to the Top 25.

Would sure like to Baylor stop screwing up and get back on track. Our Top 10 win is looking pretty shabby at present.

People can say Top 25 d/n matter in Jan but is does in terms of exposure which does translate into seeding.

ZZ

TokyoZag
01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
In the three games I've watched, they certainly look the part.

I realize many have stated their competition has been lackluster compared to ours -- this is true -- yet don't discount the fact the Gaels are dominating their opponents as well.

They've only laid one egg this season; a road game at surging SDSU. They should have beaten BYU and they're ranked in the Top-10 nationally in every statistical category imaginable.

Simply put: they are a Top-25 team and deserve such rankings, yet I believe the Zags are as well. We're just realizing it on the court & in our minds...it'll show soon enough.

Good for St Mary's. Above all else, they're right where we want 'em. :)

That was a revenge game for SDSU. St Mary's beat them early last season and it knocked SDSU out of the media for almost the entire season.

Angelo Roncalli
01-17-2011, 09:48 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls?poll=1

TokyoZag
01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls?poll=1

Nice,

Zag's 4 back in the others receiving votes behind Temple, Georgia and KState.

I hope we crack the T25 and St. Mary's takes care of Vandy by the time we meet. Losses by Cincy, Temple and Georgia might do it. Cincy's got ND up next and temple plays Xavier on Sat. Georgia's got Tennessee and Miss St, this week... both teams with multiple personality disorders.

I would LOVE to see an injury-free top 25 showdown with the Gaels.

ID ZAGFAN
01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
SMC in at 24
Zags one behind at 25

ZaGranny

Zagdawg
01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Media Voting breakdown

http://www.pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php?r=T&s=14&p=29&w=11&t1=124&t2=0&v=0

stretchlimo
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
AP by conference

Big East: 9
Big Ten: 6
Big XII: 4
Mtn West: 2
ACC: 1
SEC: 1
Pac Ten: 1
WCC: 1

Zagdawg
01-17-2011, 11:05 AM
It's nice to see the Gaels in the top 25-- give our guys a little motivation when they come visit.

I just hope our students don't get the overrated chant going when we beat them.

CDC84
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
The Gaels have an extremely important stretch of games coming up. They have a Wednesday night game vs. USD, and then they have to fly across the country to Nashville to take on Vanderbilt on Saturday. Then they fly home and go out on the road again the following week to play at Gonzaga and Portland.

U Zig, I Zag
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
The Gaels have an extremely important stretch of games coming up. They have a Wednesday night game vs. USD, and then they have to fly across the country to Nashville to take on Vanderbilt on Saturday. Then they fly home and go out on the road again the following week to play at Gonzaga and Portland.

Sort of sounds like a typical Nov/Dec for GU.

MJGoGaels
01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Sort of sounds like a typical Nov/Dec for GU.

Yes, and then, in February on Saturday the 19th host a BracketBuster, then follow that with GU on the 24th and UP on the 26th. I suspect will draw one of the top 2 teams selected to play a road bracketbuster... I recall one being Cleveland State, somebody, quickier and better can likely tell who might be the best given current RPI, etc.

DixieZag
01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
SMC should not be considered a "bracketbuster" type team, if the season ended today they would be a lock for a birth and a good seed, I for one think they are "under-rated" - their wins have been incredible, I am still having trouble figuring out how they came out and thumped LMU like they did - unless the Lions were a different personality in LA - regardless, I hope they continue to have success in every game except against us.

MJ - one thing you guys might have to get used to, now that you are a WCC power team, is to be prepared to be ranked 15-20 and get an 8-9 seed. The committee loves those first round upsets, loves them, but the sweet sixteen is SUPPOSED to be by "invitation only" and they do not like non-BCS schools in there, and I am expecting it to be much much worse this year since Butler "spoiled" everything last year. So, your most likely scenario is an 8 seed (unless you win out) and a game against say, Cincinatti- blow them out, and then welcome Kansas or Duke to your second round party.

Same as what happened to us last year. I think SMC is probably a 3 or 4 seed by play - but, it'll never happen. Good luck, beat Vandy.

U Zig, I Zag
01-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes, and then, in February on Saturday the 19th host a BracketBuster, then follow that with GU on the 24th and UP on the 26th. I suspect will draw one of the top 2 teams selected to play a road bracketbuster... I recall one being Cleveland State, somebody, quickier and better can likely tell who might be the best given current RPI, etc.

Don't get your feelings hurt. Flying around the country on quick turn arounds between games is what you have to do. That's the nature of WCC basketball.

MJGoGaels
01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
SMC should not be considered a "bracketbuster" type team, if the season ended today they would be a lock for a birth and a good seed, I for one think they are "under-rated" - their wins have been incredible, I am still having trouble figuring out how they came out and thumped LMU like they did - unless the Lions were a different personality in LA - regardless, I hope they continue to have success in every game except against us.

RB, likes doing the BB event, especially hosting it, and giving a return game the next year. It's one way SMC tries to increase scheduling. Something a few complain about the Gaels.

Re: LMU - Besides unbelieveable shooting in the first half made the first 13 out of 15 shots, Rob Jones defense took Viney out of the game and, then, Steindl finished him off. Viney had 4 points for the game.

MJ - one thing you guys might have to get used to, now that you are a WCC power team, is to be prepared to be ranked 15-20 and get an 8-9 seed. The committee loves those first round upsets, loves them, but the sweet sixteen is SUPPOSED to be by "invitation only" and they do not like non-BCS schools in there, and I am expecting it to be much much worse this year since Butler "spoiled" everything last year. So, your most likely scenario is an 8 seed (unless you win out) and a game against say, Cincinatti- blow them out, and then welcome Kansas or Duke to your second round party.

Yes, I understand and accept those things out of my control or the team's. The 7-10 gets #2, and not much better, but heck, even Villanova knows a #2 can lose.

Same as what happened to us last year. I think SMC is probably a 3 or 4 seed by play - but, it'll never happen. Good luck, beat Vandy
Wednesday warmup with the Toreros (will they go 0-14 in WCC?), and off to Tennessee. I guess if the Gaels win the roadie, some on this board would be less scornful at the present SOS of SMC.

Zag4Hire
01-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes, I understand and accept those things out of my control or the team's. The 7-10 gets #2, and not much better, but heck, even Villanova knows a #2 can lose.

Not so much that a #2 can lose but not every #2 is going to have a Reynolds/Fisher girlfriend debacle.

ronh_pm
01-18-2011, 02:18 PM

As I mentioned elsewhere if Gray, Sacre and Harris averaged the same minutes as McConnell (averages 35) , Dallavedova (averages 32) and Rob Jones (averages 30) I'm sure Gonzaga would be "dominating" (also known as running up the score) thier same RPI oppenents as well.

ZagHouse
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Tongue in cheek: If we win on the 27th, do we storm the floor? http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

MJGoGaels
01-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Not so much that a #2 can lose but not every #2 is going to have a Reynolds/Fisher girlfriend debacle.

Yes, and that is exactly what coach Jay Wright of Villanova blamed the loss on, too. Was the team on a skid going into the NCAA tournament? Yes. But also the same team ranked #1 and undefeated for weeks before. Same talent? We matched up well and hit shots when we had to. let's not make an issue where there is none in a vain attempt to devalue the win. I promise to change my avtar if you acknowledge the lunancy of that comment.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2011, 06:20 PM
UGA lost tonight... as long as the boys hold serve this week against SCU and USF... then they should move up and possibly break in depending on what else happens this week.

Oh, and congrats to SMC for hitting the top 25.

MJ you going to Vegas again this year?

MJGoGaels
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh, and congrats to SMC for hitting the top 25.

MJ you going to Vegas again this year?

If the Pontiff is Catholic! look forward to seeing you and breaking bread and washing it down with a tall one.

sittingon50
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Don't worry about changing your avatar, MJ:

1. You guys earned it.
2. You're a class act.

Bowser
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Gaelic overlords.

ZaggyStardust
01-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Wow, I'm sorry but this St Mary's love fest is making me nauseous!

:vomit-smiley-007:

LongIslandZagFan
01-20-2011, 08:00 AM
If the Pontiff is Catholic! look forward to seeing you and breaking bread and washing it down with a tall one.

Likewise. Got room at Orleans and tix... Just need to figure out transport.

VinnyZag
01-20-2011, 08:11 AM
They may be ranked, they may have been to the Sweet 16 last year, but St. Mary's will never live this down: "Gaels Gone Wild." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZI7zVzUpWk)