PDA

View Full Version : Santa Clara's Keating says Gaels are best

BobZag
01-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Meehan's twitter--

SCU's Keating on Saint Mary's: "The best team in our league right now. I don't think anyone would debate that."

sittingon50
01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Anything about KK being the worst Coach in the league?

BroncoZAG615
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Kerry Keating is the Rex Ryan of the WCC without the results or foot fetish.

sullyzag66
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Meehan's twitter--
May be. Only one way to settle that.

gamagin
01-16-2011, 12:59 PM
quote of the week is created.

thanks, coach !

MDABE80
01-16-2011, 01:07 PM
They have the record to show it. I wonder what Keating has against GU. This isn't the first time he's made this unflattering type of remark. Most coaches restrict comments to their own team when assessing value.

What would prompt a coach to say something like this. I suppose we should dispose of him by 40. SMC...well that'll test us as fiercely as a swt 16 game. We'll see them 3 times this year. I hope we get a sweep but it'll be tough.

El Voce
01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Kerry Keating is now (and always has been) an a$$. What he thinks matters not at all to me.

RenoZag
01-16-2011, 01:23 PM
You're the newest member of the

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs229.snc1/7626_101207643230236_100000230029068_31369_2579245 _n.jpg

ID ZAGFAN
01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
They have the record to show it. I wonder what Keating has against GU. This isn't the first time he's made this unflattering type of remark. Most coaches restrict comments to their own team when assessing value.

What would prompt a coach to say something like this. I suppose we should dispose of him by 40. SMC...well that'll test us as fiercely as a swt 16 game. We'll see them 3 times this year. I hope we get a sweep but it'll be tough.

This.

I guess a lot of coaches might say that if they had just been beaten by 30. Trying to keep his job??? :mad:

ZaGranny

Pargo the Destroyer
01-16-2011, 01:37 PM
An irrelevant team, coached by a guy who's head barely fits in the building, thinking he should be bigger than what he is. He is just trying to make waves, to get noticed, to hopefully find that bigger better job more suited to fill that giant ego he carries around. Kinda like Rex Ryan the loud mouth vs the quiet, confident Patriots.

gu03alum
01-16-2011, 01:52 PM
http://ororke.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/haters-gonna-hate1.jpg

gu03alum
01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Kerry Keating is the Rex Ryan of the WCC without the results or foot fetish.

Are you sure about that?

jazzdelmar
01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Kk will on the next train to ucla pretty soon...a jerk....ask Rahon

zag buddy
01-16-2011, 02:57 PM
We have two really good teams in the WCC this year. Who wins? That's what makes horse races. Hopefully we will both go far come march. With BYU coming in that would be excellent for our conference and recruiting.

kclubfounder
01-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey, anyone who will take the time to give us bulletin board material is OK with me. Thanks dude.

cggonzaga
01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey, anyone who will take the time to give us bulletin board material is OK with me. Thanks dude.

I doubt Few, staff and players give a crap what Keating has to say. Just take care of business Zags, don't buy into irrelevant matters.

Ezag
01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
good fuel for the fire, bon fire that is

jaydee77
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
maybe he is sending Randy Bennett a message. If Bennett leaves, maybe he will take Keating with him. Not a bright idea to say something like this with the Zags playing them on Thursday. Which player will he run off this week?

BobZag
01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Keating, the gift that keeps on giving. :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank SCU for firing Dick Davey in favor of Kerry Keating. Thank you so much! :clap:

Nevtelen
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Not a bright idea to say something like this with the Zags playing them on Thursday. Which player will he run off this week?

That was my first thought. If that's his opinion, sure, he's entitled to it. I think it'll be a very very close call this season and he might be right when all is said and done. We'll find that out on the court, probably 3 times.

But why say this 5 days before you play the team you just called 2nd best? Just doesn't make sense to me.

MickMick
01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Has he faced this version of GU yet?

The answer is no.

So is he in a position to judge?

I dunno. Maybe he looked at tape/TV broadcasts of GU. He is, after all, a coach. That would qualify him better than us I suppose.

For me the big mystery is.....

What does he gain by going public with this? Why not let it quietly play out?

Now I'm hoping that GU "curbstomps" SCU. I really didn't feel that way before. Not just win by double digits, but blow them out of the gym.

webspinnre
01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Keating, the gift that keeps on giving. :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank SCU for firing Dick Davey in favor of Kerry Keating. Thank you so much! :clap:

Indeed. Boy is it a good thing they ran Davey out of town. :rolleyes:

Rio Runner
01-16-2011, 07:13 PM
It sounds to me like he is just paying his respects to Saint Mary's. But even if Keating also intends to slight us, who cares?

Maybe he is still bitter about Brody Angley's bonehead foul on Steven Gray with no time on the clock.

kyle dixon
01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Keating is just searching for something. Came in to SCU as this was his spring board job to better things. He could coach at SCU and then move on to a Pac 10 job soon. He just cannot get it done, but throws out the "I was the lead asst at UCLA" so I will land on my feet somewhere.

Great question. Is GU better than SMC? I do not know. SMC is damn good. McConnell, Delly, and Jones can seriously play. Off the bench Holt is tough as a guard. The bigs are better than they look. I can see the Zags having some trouble at the end of this month at home. Particularly in that the Gaels have not won in Spokane since 1995.

kyle

Kiddwell
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Keating's kind of fun to pick on, but maybe he's right, maybe not. Basing one's opinion solely on W's & L's, SMC's the league's best team right now. Plus, what was the full context of Keating's judgment? Perhaps prior to the comment noted above, Keating gave props to GU but opined that (to him, right now) SMC just looks better.

Kiddwell is really impressed with SMC's margins of victory over our conference mates, by the way. Plus, they beat Mississippi State by 22, New Mexico State by 20. They lost a one-pointer to BYU and beat a decent St. John's team by 5. The Gaels really do look formidable. On the other hand, if we can consistently dog their outside shooters, we're gonna win all three games against 'em.

Anyway, and back to the topic at hand, God bless the Broncos and their coach, except when they're playing GU, UP, SMC, Pepperdine, USD, LMU, and, um, USF. :)

<Kiddwell's 1.4 centavos worth>

Radbooks
01-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Kiddwell is really impressed with SMC's margins of victory over our conference mates, by the way. Plus, they beat Mississippi State by 22, New Mexico State by 20.

You do realize that Mississippi State was missing two starters when they played SMC and that New Mexico State is 10-9, don't you? Those particular wins don't impress me too much...

I'm just looking forward to watching the games and finding out who is the best team. :) I think we'll split the regular season ones and then take them in the tourney, although I'm hoping for a sweep.

caduceus
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
but he has a point. St. Mary's is #1 in the nation in effective field goal %, #4 in offensive efficiency, #3 in 2pt %, #7 in 3pt %, and #7 in limiting turnovers. They beat the Zags in blocks, assists, and turnovers per game.

The Zags are #294 in 3pt. defense, and hovering in the 40's rank in both offensive and defensive efficiencies.

Their RPI is 10 better than ours.

However, their SOS is nowhere near ours (#148 to #26), and they haven't beaten a top 50 RPI team.

I think the jury's still out, and will be until we play them. I hope the Gaels keep winning (except when they play us, of course).

NovaZag
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
It's like Keating wants us to beat him badly. It's easy to see why he's a poor coach.

Mantua
01-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Poor Jennifer Mountain. She must miss the camaraderie and the ambience of Gonzaga.

EuroZag2010
01-17-2011, 02:46 AM
There are three threads where the bronco fans are fed up with Keating hes just miserable !!
Check "coaching" "new coach " and the St marys thread

http://scufanscom.yuku.com/forums/2/BroncoHoops-com

GoZags
01-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Just like to point out you arent hearing anything at all about the Gaels being alot better and such from the Gael fans, the players or the coaching staff. Its just other conference team fans, media and you guys worrying about it as far as I can tell.

So all I can say is, worry about your next 2 conference games first, and wait and see how the Gaels do against Vanderbilt to see just how good they are/arent

Agree completely. Nice post, Sir.

titopoet
01-17-2011, 06:43 AM
My view is that Keating is not the brightest bulb on the planet. Yes, he made the statement after getting blown out, but he had to know GU was coming to town. He just gave the Zags motivation to prove him wrong. If he would have said something more generic like SMC is a great team, but to call them the best when GU is heading into Bronco land and his team demoralized, is there any wonder why he wil be looking for a job come March?

primal23
01-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Sad thing is, if history stays true then GU will escape scu with a 2-5 point win after trailing most of the game. That might be what the a$$hat Keating is thinkIng

EuroZag2010
01-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Speaking of motivation I wonder if coaches or the players pay attention or even know about the remarks ?

rijman
01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Meehan's twitter--SCU's Keating on Saint Mary's: "The best team in our league right now. I don't think anyone would debate that."

He doesn't think anyone would debate that?!? Does he really believe the Zag team and fans are resigned to the fact that SMC is the better team? Keating should just put down the crack pipe and walk away.

U Zig, I Zag
01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Just like to point out you arent hearing anything at all about the Gaels being alot better and such from the Gael fans, the players or the coaching staff. Its just other conference team fans, media and you guys worrying about it as far as I can tell.

So all I can say is, worry about your next 2 conference games first, and wait and see how the Gaels do against Vanderbilt to see just how good they are/arent

It's all speculation at this point, but that's the fun. I follow some other conferences and rivalries in both football and basketball and other than Omar/Adam jabs and hate there is really more respect between the WCC opponents than any place else. By far. We (collectively) may think that GU is better than SMC and will make our case for it but we are GU fans, after all. This board is way, way busier, so you see more of it - but there is plenty of SMC love/respect on this board. It's everywhere.

I think, in-conference, the only out and out hate might be between SMC and SCU, but that comes from a long standing rivalry.

I think SMC can take Vandy and I imagine, if all goes OK that we might have a top 25 matchup when we meet. If anything, SMC will be sitting there.

The way I see it, we need another top 25 win and GU aint a bad loss to have. ;)

Bowser
01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I am sure the Gonzaga Debate Team would. After all, that is the sole reason for their existence. Even a Santa Clara Man should know that.

That is all.

Your Pal,
Bowser

Bogozags
01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
It was rather foolish of Coach Keating to make that comment regardless of its accuracy. As many have said, Coach Few or his staff, will repeat those words at least once before Thursday night's game.

Many professionals believe SMC is a better ball club than GU. The polls have the Gaels are ranked 22 in the AP (we are ranked 29th) and 21 Coaches (we are ranked 30th). As we know, being ranked means nothing, absolutely nothing!

I for one, would like the Gaels to keep right on winning until they visit us so, when we beat them, our RPI will go up. I am rooting for the Gaels against Vandy and hope they get the win and would love to see them win by double digits. I don't care if we ever get ranked but feel if we keep winning, sports writers and coaches alike will eventually give us enough votes to be ranked.

I like our chances against SMC at home but in order for us to get that win, we must have our best defensive effort to date. It isn't enough to defend the 3pt shot but rather we need to do a super job of defending the pick-n-rolls, which is how SMC gets most of their 3pt attempts.

Portland and SMC are both stout teams and it will be tougher to win conference this year than in previous years....IMO.

bullzag23
01-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Meehan's twitter--

Sorry, but when I first saw the thread title I thought it said 'Santa Clara's Beating says Gaels are best. Makes more sense to me than the actual thread title. :roll:

hockeyzag
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
It's hard for me to take anyone who has a twitter account seriously. Maybe it's good for some things, but Keating shouldn't have one.
You don't see Mark Few and staff tweeting their little tweet opinions on their very own twitter pages. And it's because they're professionals.

gu03alum
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
It's hard for me to take anyone who has a twitter account seriously. Maybe it's good for some things, but Keating shouldn't have one.
You don't see Mark Few and staff tweeting their little tweet opinions on their very own twitter pages. And it's because they're professionals.

The quote is from Meehan's twitter account.

Angelo Roncalli
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I am sure the Gonzaga Debate Team would. After all, that is the sole reason for their existence. Even a Santa Clara Man should know that.

That is all.

Your Pal,
Bowser

Reminds me of why I always liked negative better than affirmative.

NotoriousZ
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
SCU's Keating on Saint Mary's: "The best team in our league right now. I don't think anyone would debate that."

It's all in the last sentence. Oh well, he might as well stick with the moronic comments, because he sure can't coach basketball.

Keating: the idiot a$$ clown of the WCC. I don't think anyone would debate that.

Kiddwell
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
You do realize that Mississippi State was missing two starters when they played SMC and that New Mexico State is 10-9, don't you? Those particular wins don't impress me too much...

I'm just looking forward to watching the games and finding out who is the best team. :) I think we'll split the regular season ones and then take them in the tourney, although I'm hoping for a sweep.

Margins of victory, Rad. Margins. The Gaels are scoring a lot of points on a lot of opponents. :)

:]

Angelo Roncalli
01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
The guy has never been on my radaar screen, but in so many categories the Gaels are better than we are. He isn't saying anything different than a lot of the national commentators are also saying. In our current state (with Meech getting 20 plus minutes), we might be able to eke out a win at home, but we'd be an underdog in Moraga and in Vegas. The offense turns in to a dead zone with Meech in there--wake up coaches before it's too late. There's still time to reverse the situation. Sit down with Meech and tell him--we've given you a shot, we have to go with a new plan now. A backcourt with Steven and Keita could be just the ticket that would stop Mickey and Della

Just exactly what galaxy is on your radar screen?

Birddog
01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Just exactly what galaxy is on your radar screen?

+1 My original thought wasn't quite as diplomatic.

john montana
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Keita and gray in the backcourt? Two of our worst ball handling guards. Both have game in many ways but ball handling and running a team aren't strengths for either player.

Zag4Hire
01-18-2011, 09:26 AM
I just took it as he was reminding everybody that he was still employed by SCU. Funny but didn't he put LMU as #2 over SMC in the Preseason WCC ballots?

cjm720
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
The guy has never been on my radaar screen, but in so many categories the Gaels are better than we are. He isn't saying anything different than a lot of the national commentators are also saying. In our current state (with Meech getting 20 plus minutes), we might be able to eke out a win at home, but we'd be an underdog in Moraga and in Vegas. The offense turns in to a dead zone with Meech in there--wake up coaches before it's too late. There's still time to reverse the situation. Sit down with Meech and tell him--we've given you a shot, we have to go with a new plan now. A backcourt with Steven and Keita could be just the ticket that would stop Mickey and Della

Our most effective defensive backcourt is a 3 guard rotation and it begins at the point with Meech, then Gray and Keita. So you in part have a point, but your primary premise to bash Meech (on offense then finish on defense, weird) doesn't hold up to what truly matters, and that's what the coaches do. Meech has started every game and gets approx. 25 min/game (and proportionalely more in the more difficult games).

If Meech wasn't on this squad and we had to rotate Stock and Carter as the primary points, I'd certainly wager that we'd have more losses than we do now. But I guess some people don't meausre success the way I do...

MJGoGaels
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
and they haven't beaten a top 50 RPI team.

I think the jury's still out, and will be until we play them. I hope the Gaels keep winning (except when they play us, of course).

I think St. John's is in everyone top 20 RPI wise and SMC beat them early at home.

U Zig, I Zag
01-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Our most effective defensive backcourt is a 3 guard rotation and it begins at the point with Meech, then Gray and Keita. So you in part have a point, but your primary premise to bash Meech (on offense then finish on defense, weird) doesn't hold up to what truly matters, and that's what the coaches do. Meech has started every game and gets approx. 25 min/game (and proportionalely more in the more difficult games).

If Meech wasn't on this squad and we had to rotate Stock and Carter as the primary points, I'd certainly wager that we'd have more losses than we do now. But I guess some people don't meausre success the way I do...

The ONLY player we have that plays traditional, heads up-style point is Stockton. You sort of get the same thing, on the offensive side with all the others - and lately less scoring from Stock himself (but he generates offense). It is not unreasonable to play Keita/Gray, Manny, Harris, Rob and be able to get the ball up the court. Keita plays pretty conservative and despite his jack-rabbit skittishness he is quite good with the ball. The goal here would be Rob and Harris with Gray floating for looks and Manny doing the same and cleaning the glass. On D (assuming Gray gets into form again) that trio would terrorize WCC guards.

Meech is playing well, as of late. He is taking that little jumper a bit more, and hitting it. Carter has let a couple guys sit for a few minutes and seems a little sturdier, including hitting some 3's lately.

PG by committee, for the rest of the year I would imagine.