PDA

View Full Version : Despite win, RPI dropping: out of top 50

FlyZag
01-16-2011, 11:55 AM
ESPN daily rpi has us at 52 this morning.

BobZag
01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Just keep winning.

Rio Runner
01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
The RPI ratings seem totally out of whack. Georgetown (#8, 13-5) ahead of Duke (#9, 16-1)? Cal (#44, 9-7) ahead of us (#52, 12-5)? Please.

The Pomeroy ratings seem much more logical. We are #35. That seems about right. For now.

http://www.kenpom.com/

primal23
01-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Wow Kenpom now has GU getting swept by SMC.

spudzag
01-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow Kenpom now has GU getting swept by SMC.

Have they been talking to Keating?

DixieZag
01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
If the same LMU team that played us last night was the same LMU team that got absolutely flattened at home by SMC - - then I can see why it has us losing to them 3 times.

It is not logical that SMC is that good, they lost one of the best college big men last year (when we beat them 2 out of 3) but they are blowing the doors off of everyone, LMU looked like a H.S. team against them - - LMU looked like a team that could beat GU in L.A. last night. I thought that Portland was a really really good team - - and then LMU takes them to double OT - - so, I would really like to know if LMU played far better on this road trip than they did against SMC, if not - then I think SMC is really one of the top 15 teams in the country and we are one of the top 30.

It really is a mystery to me, SMC has to play at Vandy before they come to the Kennel, and they do not have a long bench. I am hoping that they cannot handle how big we are, I am hoping that we keep a string of fresh guys coming off the bench to keep Delly/Mickey company and that their legs tire and the shots start to clank off the rim and we get some transition baskets. Our bigs will have to have their game of the year and our wings/points will have to have the defensive effort of their lives, I think they are that good. Anyone who wants to talk me off the ledge, please do, though facts will be appreciated.

Last thing, I have seen Portland/LMU in person, and from what I saw, both of them could beat Xavier, any thoughts?

229SintoZag
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
This is just the start of a temporary slide. It should get worse after next weekend's Bay area games.

But then it should rebound. We still have three WCC games against top 50 RPI teams. And as long as we keep winning we should finish between 35 and 48 in the RPI by my math.

It does not help when Marquette blows a 17 point lead to Louisville. Or when Memphis loses to SMU.

cbbfanatic
01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
It does not help when Marquette blows a 17 point lead to Louisville. Or when Memphis loses to SMU.

marquette loss hurt them (marquette) badly. could be the type that keeps them out of the field (but i expect they will pick up a lot of losses in conference and not even really be on the proverbial bubble). road wins against a solid team are hard to come by for that type of team.

memphis... well, i wouldnt get your hopes up about them. they are one of the worst teams i have ever seen that spent about 5 or 6 weeks in the top 25. they are terrible. they have recruited well, on paper, but its a broken mix of guys and pastner cannot coach

agree with your sentiment on the upcoming RPI movements of GU. if you look at the schedule, its actually fairly easy to predict these general movements, assuming the team keeps winning the majority of the games it should win

kclubfounder
01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
As long as SMC and GU keep winning the games they are supposed to win, both will be invited to dance in a year when 3 more teams are invited and the Pac-10 and ACC SUCK big time. In fact, if Portland doesn't lose any non-GU or non-SMC games they will probably get an invite also.

75Zag
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I forget the year, but 10 - 12 years ago I was in San Francisco working and watched GU beat Stanford on TV in the NCAAs. I think GU had a very low seed, and the brainy mighty Stanford team was a high seed. GU won. Also, I think it was that year or the next year when I was in San Francisco working again (can you tell where my job takes me?) and I watched GU beat St. Johns on TV as an underdog. Again, my mind and memory are pretty well gone, but I think GU has thrived as an underdog.

Quit worrying about rankings or respect or who has the biggest reproductive organ (because I do).

Just win.

MickMick
01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Last thing, I have seen Portland/LMU in person, and from what I saw, both of them could beat Xavier, any thoughts?

Xavier has that kid they call "Tu". The team seems to stand around and watch him make plays. Xavier could turn it around if just a couple others would step forward. As it is, "Tu" can carry that team on his back on any given night. Not something they can consistently rely on though.

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Xavier has that kid they call "Tu". The team seems to stand around and watch him make plays. Xavier could turn it around if just a couple others would step forward. As it is, "Tu" can carry that team on his back on any given night. Not something they can consistently rely on though.

xavier is similar to notre dame in that they are "home-heavy" teams...they are a much different team at home then on the road. x is not as talented this year and they need homer refs that allow them to play their super physical style of defense. for what it's worth, the a-10 is also very down this year as their marquee team temple also keeps losing to inferior teams. xavier did just beat dayton for a nice win though...

john montana
01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Smc is very good. I wouldn't be surprised if they sweep us and I wouldn't be surprised if we sweep them. Total toss up games in my opinion.

That said, smc stats are skewed by the powderpuff schedule. If we swapped schedules gu would be ranked very high right ow (courtesy of their preseaon ranking).

Rio Runner
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
I find it interesting that the Gael fans still storm the court on those occasions when they do beat us. They act like Chaminade beat Virginia (an old school reference for those of you over age 40).

We, on the other hand, expect to win.

gaels87
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Rio - these are easy to remember because we have only beaten GU a handful of times in your 12+ year run... I do know, for a fact that we didn't "storm" the court when we beat you in 2008 - I was fortunate enough to be there... we DID storm the court last year in the WCC Championship.... but I am going to go out on a limb and say we stormed the court because it was our first conference title since '97, and guaranteed a spot in the tourney...not because we beat GU. If SMC is fortunate enough to beat GU in Moraga, I doubt the students will rush the court. By any stretch, I am not saying that SMC is a better team, but I do know that the attitude for the SMC fans is very different now than it was 4-5 years ago. We very much expect to hold serve at home against the Zags or any team, for that matter, that comes into our garage.

Terrifteacher
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
You guys play in a garage? lol

EuroZag2010
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
More like a middle school gym in the projects that has been neglected for decades :) jokes!!

Nevtelen
01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Rio - these are easy to remember because we have only beaten GU a handful of times in your 12+ year run... I do know, for a fact that we didn't "storm" the court when we beat you in 2008 - I was fortunate enough to be there... we DID storm the court last year in the WCC Championship.... but I am going to go out on a limb and say we stormed the court because it was our first conference title since '97, and guaranteed a spot in the tourney...not because we beat GU. If SMC is fortunate enough to beat GU in Moraga, I doubt the students will rush the court. By any stretch, I am not saying that SMC is a better team, but I do know that the attitude for the SMC fans is very different now than it was 4-5 years ago. We very much expect to hold serve at home against the Zags or any team, for that matter, that comes into our garage.

I think you could see that change during the Mills seasons. After a few big victories in McKeon (OR, one GU game IIRC), the court stormings stopped. Makes sense - I assume the fans felt like they'd arrived at that point (which they basically had - SMC hasn't dropped off significantly since).

Bogozags
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I find it interesting that the Gael fans still storm the court on those occasions when they do beat us. They act like Chaminade beat Virginia (an old school reference for those of you over age 40).

We, on the other hand, expect to win.

Wasn't there a Willie or Will Pounds (6'7", 260lbs+), who played in the post on that Chaminade?

cbbfanatic
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
In fact, if Portland doesn't lose any non-GU or non-SMC games they will probably get an invite also.

not a chance.

sure, their RPI is currently in the at-large neighborhood, but its as empty a resume as you will see.

they are 14-4, 44rpi, 81 SOS (all of that is ok, so far)

their best win is at home vs Florida Atlantic (100), they have no bad losses

their other wins are over teams with the following RPI ranks:

outside of their one top 100 win (against a team that is a tossup to stay top 100, at best), they have played 4 top 100 teams... here's how they fared

31 pt beatdown by Kentucky in the Rose Garden
16 pt thrashing by Wazzu (looks like it was a neutral court game?)
22 pt beating @ UW
13 pt loss @ Gonzaga

with only 3 remaining opportunities in the reg season for solid wins, and almost zero prospects for any of their wins in hand to mature into anything of value, i'd go as far as to say that portland needs 3 wins against GU/SMC in reg season or wcc tourney (with no bad losses in there) to have a CHANCE for an at large. even then, they'd be sweating profusely. teams like this have no business being in the tournament

they are complete frauds at this point, but a good lesson in RPI manipulation

kclubfounder
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
"They have no bad losses".

That is saying something in a year when there are 3 extra teams added to the Dance and the Pac-10 and ACC are having historically bad years.

I probably should have said they need to win at least one GU or SMC game (and I'd bet they do win at least one at home) in addition to not losing to anybody else for it to be likely. If that happens then I think they will get in.

Should they lose all games to GU and SMC then I agree their chances are not good, but I don't agree that there is no chance.

Bogozags
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Just keep winning.

Winning is the cure for all ills...

cbbfanatic
01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
"They have no bad losses".

That is saying something in a year when there are 3 extra teams added to the Dance and the Pac-10 and ACC are having historically bad years.

I probably should have said they need to win at least one GU or SMC game (and I'd bet they do win at least one at home) in addition to not losing to anybody else for it to be likely. If that happens then I think they will get in.

Should they lose all games to GU and SMC then I agree their chances are not good, but I don't agree that there is no chance.

Absent those good wins, they SHOULD not have a chance. The reality of it all may be different though.

Avoiding bad losses is meaningless, to me, if you do not have multiple good wins. Would a team from a major conference have a snowball's chance with as weak a slate of wins as portland stands to have, even if they hold their home court?

The answer is no