PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT is what I'm talking about

BobZag
01-16-2011, 09:16 AM
First off, LMU impessed me. There is some very nice talent on Max Good's squad, and I think we all realize how difficult it will be to win down in Gerston about a month from now.

But the way the defense turned it around and limited LMU to a shooting % in the 20's, then came out strong in the 2nd-half to ease out to a double digit lead was music to my eyes, not to mention encouraging for the future.

Harris is definitely back into attack-mode while Sacre continues to work efficiently, even though he'll tell you he was a bit subpar by his own standards. Gray continues to have a stellar senior sason. And all the others, very much incluing the bench, are doing their part.

It's great to see.

Last night's effort was our best of the 3-game WCC home set.

Now it is paramount that the team bottles up this effort and takes it on the road next Thursday/Saturday. Need to take care of business in the Bay Area.

Ezag
01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Sacre has proved many of us wrong including myself, Harris looking good, I'd like to see even more aggressiveness, Gray is amazing, Stockton cool. I think we have the best starting 5 in the WCC, though SMC may gives us a run for our money, but there is not doubt we have by far the best bench in the WCC.

MDABE80
01-16-2011, 09:43 AM
It's the defense that's the winner. Our offense isn't top 10 but we gain our advantage by preventing the other teams from scoring. Keita, Manny, Meech (even though he got turned around a few times last night)....lock down the SF and guards.

Our FT's MUST improve. Basic staples of a winning BBall team. Rounding into shape for the tournament. SMC will be the test. They take no prisoners.....no letdowns or distractions permitted. Solid in all phases. GU locks their guards down and hits the boards, we win.

ID ZAGFAN
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
First off, LMU impessed me. There is some very nice talent on Max Good's squad, and I think we all realize how difficult it will be to win down in Gerston about a month from now.

But the way the defense turned it around and limited LMU to a shooting % in the 20's, then came out strong in the 2nd-half to ease out to a double digit lead was music to my eyes, not to mention encouraging for the future.

Harris is definitely back into attack-mode while Sacre continues to work efficiently, even though he'll tell you he was a bit subpar by his own standards. Gray continues to have a stellar senior sason. And all the others, very much incluing the bench, are doing their part.

It's great to see.

Now it is paramount that the team bottles up this effort and takes it on the road next Thursday/Saturday. Need to take care of business in the Bay Area.

+1,000.000
Yep!

ZaGranny

DixieZag
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Whenever I am lucky enough to attend a game, like I did last night, and sit 9 rows up and see how physical / intense the conference games are, I am just stunned that teams like LMU have lost as many as they have. They were big, they played good defense and moved the ball very well.

I do love how we responded, we responded by being more physical, - it also is absolutely beyond me how officials call a game, they will call some touch fouls (on both sides) that leave you shaking your head, but then the ball will go inside or a rebound will come up and it is pro-wrestling with no whistle. I have noticed that we are really good when the game is being played at a highly physical level, Manny Arop plays with no fear, same with Rob, Harris, Sam. Even Kelly is starting to get it, his dunk at the end of the game where he went over the back of 3 players was ridiculous.

I sat in the same seats at the SDSU game and I truly think last night's game was more intense. I hope that we take the same intensity on the road, SCU got blasted by SMC last night, we don't normally play well at either SCU or USF - so the guys better bring it. We are going to have a tough tough last half of conference, trips to LMU/SMC/UP - wow.

I think SMC is still the team to beat in conference, they have no let ups, they went up by more than 20 in the first half against SCU, I think we need to keep getting better to beat them. I like that we are not turning it over nearly as much and we are forcing a lot of turnovers - we will need to force TOs against SMC - and we will need to really pound it inside and see if they get in foul trouble.

FTs have been good lately, last night regressed, but I still think we are a good FT team.

MDABE80
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Nice comprehensive post DIXIE.

bballbeachbum
01-17-2011, 08:20 AM

would say that the second half performance vs. LMU was on par w/ the first half performance vs. PU, and that those halves of basketball were as dominant as we've seen from this GU team, and some awesome basketball. Will they need to put 2 halves together in one game to win? Probably, and I believe they will rise to that challenge when it presents itself

since the WSU game, this team has been rising to challenges, addressing them and meeting/beating them: the team rebounding at the start; where is Manny??? Stockton is too small and weak; the team defense; KO plays without confidence; Rob has hands of stone and can't pass out of the double team; Keita??? Meech is _______; etc., etc., etc. All of those and more have been microscoped, and the growth can be seen in these areas from game to game, with sometimes a step backwards after 3-4 steps forward, true, but usually then quickly followed with a step in the right direction. The growth is clear, a tribute to the clear emphasis on addressing concerns from game to game...and then doing something about it on game day. Hope it never stops.

It's a completely different team than the one we saw in November because of it. Who will they be this weekend? I should be at both games, so I can't wait to find out in person!

GO ZAGS!!!