PDA

View Full Version : The Zags Bench Dominate Again

Reborn
01-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't know how many games the Zag's bench has dominated it's opponent's bench, but I think a lot. I don't know if this is the best bench Gonzaga has ever had, but it certainly has to be one of them. Tonight the Zags bench outscores LMU's bench 25 to 14.

Tonight it was Stockton with a brilliant game. In just 8 minutes he turned the game around and got the Zags going in the right direction....AGAIN. I was shocked when I saw he only played 8 minutes. Because of the impact that I felt he had on the game I really would have guessed he played 12 min in that second half.

And Keita comes in and plays 21 minutes and finishes with 7 points, and he could of had 11. He plays so tough and rugged that he is really needed against the tough physical atheletes that LMU has. What I like about him is that he seldom turns the ball over, and yet he is a creator on offense, quite unlike Meech.

And what can you say about Kelly. His stats just blow my mind every game. In 10 minutes he gets 7 pts and 3 boards, and he missed 4 free throws. And Dower added 4 with a couple of nice shots, and a very good finger touch pass on the fast break to Keita I think. I also believe his defense is getting much better. Much better. The Zags are loaded in the post positions, and the guards are improving.

BobZag
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Definately a strength of this team. Always good to see. Becoming quite dependable, too.

kitzbuel
01-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I think it is getting harder for teams to game plan against the Zags. They are never really sure who the core starters will be and if they are right then the Zags can switch up and the opponent's plan can come discombobulated.

bballbeachbum
01-16-2011, 09:10 AM
how about the distribution of minutes game to game? can't remember GU ever playing it like this, so many players playing significant minutes every night...10-11 guys each game

Ezag
01-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Our bench is by far the best in the WCC, when we switch it up, there is no let up

ID ZAGFAN
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't know how many games the Zag's bench has dominated it's opponent's bench, but I think a lot. I don't know if this is the best bench Gonzaga has ever had, but it certainly has to be one of them. Tonight the Zags bench outscores LMU's bench 25 to 14.

Tonight it was Stockton with a brilliant game. In just 8 minutes he turned the game around and got the Zags going in the right direction....AGAIN. I was shocked when I saw he only played 8 minutes. Because of the impact that I felt he had on the game I really would have guessed he played 12 min in that second half.

And Keita comes in and plays 21 minutes and finishes with 7 points, and he could of had 11. He plays so tough and rugged that he is really needed against the tough physical atheletes that LMU has. What I like about him is that he seldom turns the ball over, and yet he is a creator on offense, quite unlike Meech.

And what can you say about Kelly. His stats just blow my mind every game. In 10 minutes he gets 7 pts and 3 boards, and he missed 4 free throws. And Dower added 4 with a couple of nice shots, and a very good finger touch pass on the fast break to Keita I think. I also believe his defense is getting much better. Much better. The Zags are loaded in the post positions, and the guards are improving.

+1
Love the bench!!!

ZaGranny

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2011, 05:33 PM

reborn...agree with everything and like others i really like how the bench has developed and is still developing every game...however, can't you praise keita without taking a shot at meech??? not really necessary here and meech has played very well recently...this is a reason some posters complain about the negativity on this board even in an overall positive thread.

GoZags
01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
how about the distribution of minutes game to game? can't remember GU ever playing it like this, so many players playing significant minutes every night...10-11 guys each game

This year's squad has 11 guys averaging double digit minutes per game. Add to that Mike Hart -- who averages 4 minutes a game, but some of his minutes have been crucial (i.e. not garbage time) minutes.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/cumulative-stats.pdf

The closest I could think of was the Elite 8 team of '98/'99 -- when all 10 guys averaged at least 8 minutes.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/092999aab.html

GUDan07
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
It seems like every time a player comes in off the bench, I know that they're gonna come in and contribute. Definitely not the case in past years when players would come in to spell the starters and there was a noticeable drop in production.

bballbeachbum
01-17-2011, 08:45 AM
This year's squad has 11 guys averaging double digit minutes per game. Add to that Mike Hart -- who averages 4 minutes a game, but some of his minutes have been crucial (i.e. not garbage time) minutes.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/cumulative-stats.pdf

The closest I could think of was the Elite 8 team of '98/'99 -- when all 10 guys averaged at least 8 minutes.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/092999aab.html

nice similarity, and wasn't aware how much so on this :)

zaguarxj
01-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Two true freshmen, two redshirt freshmen and a sophomore are in that group.

JPtheBeasta
01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
With all the talk about "gelling" as a team, the bench was a major factor. We all knew reasonably well what we would get out of Rob, Meech, Gray, and Harris, but all of that youth on the bench was scary. I thought foul trouble would spell doom for this team. I'm glad they have started figuring things out, because this would have been a long season otherwise. Can't say enough about how Stockton, Keita, MM, et al have done this year. Hart needing to play big minutes early on in the season tells you how far these guys have come. I'm disappointed Hyland didn't pan out, but other than that this group has exceeded my expectations and have been a lot of fun to watch.

roxdoc
01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
In past years when a sub would come in there would be the hope that we could at least keep the status quo while one of our "main men" got a blow. Now when a sub comes in it has a specal feel. I look forward to some new energy, some excitement, and a change in the game flow. For the most part I have not been disappointed.

ronh_pm
01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
One of the things that has been puzzling me is why are the Gaels ranked so high.

The only thing I can come up with, as they are not facing any signicicant competition, at least till WCC play, and other than BYU being a "good loss" and St. Johns being a "good win" is that thier margin of victory is generally high. Sometimes very high.

They average 84 points while allowing only 61. They lose small and win big.

So how do they do this? By using a very small rotation off thier bench.

They have five players that average over 20 minutes including three starters that average over 30 minutes a game. McConnell averages 35, Dallavedova 32and Rob Jones 30. Thier other starter, Steindal averages 25. The fifth starter looks to be by commitee. They run an 10 man bench.

I gotta believe that Gonzagas average point differential of 11 points would be much greater if Few had the same philosophy and was not using the bench as he is; that is with only Gray averaging over 30 and only 30.6 at that.

The bench will be the factor in this game. If Gonzaga can physically wear them down they have nothing after the starters whatsoever.

I was thinking a split would be a decent result but after seeing how they are winning I feel much better about the Zags taking both games.

scott257
01-18-2011, 06:15 AM
It is like a switch was turned on at the Baylor game. This team is much improved over the earlier games and I actually look forward to seeing some of the bench rotate in. The team is really fun to watch and the teamwork as a whole is clearly evident. Sometimes I just sit and smile.