PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's preview and more

ID ZAGFAN
01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/14/gonzaga-expects-tough-game-loyola/

Beginning of the story:

Gonzaga and Loyola Marymount Saturday night resume a series that went from one-sided to interesting last season.

The Bulldogs won two of the three meetings, but each game had intriguing storylines. GU defeated an injury-depleted LMU in Spokane, and then lost to a healthier Lions’ outfit in Los Angeles. The Zags beat LMU by 15 in a physical WCC Tournament contest that ended the Lions’ season.

“They gave us a lot of trouble last year,” Gonzaga senior guard Steven Gray said. Gonzaga had won 29 of 31 prior to LMU’s upset victory a year ago.

Meehan linked to this in twitter:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/21162/the-numbers-you-need-to-kn

3. Gonzaga topped Pepperdine 92-75 while shooting 62.5 percent from the field. That’s the program's best shooting performance in a conference game in three years. The biggest reason was Robert Sacre, who put up a career-high 24 points. Not only was the 7-footer a perfect 8-for-8 from the field, but he also hit all eight of his free throws. The last player to attempt at least eight field goals and eight free throws and not miss any of them was Chattanooga’s Alphonso Pugh in 2005 against Georgia Southern. It’s just the fifth such game in the last 10 years, with Carlos Boozer the biggest name on that list. Sacre wasn’t the only Gonzaga player on the mark. Elias Harris went 8-for-9 from the field, including 3-for-3 from long-distance.

ZaGranny

gamagin
01-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Beginning of the story:

Gonzaga and Loyola Marymount Saturday night resume a series that went from one-sided to interesting last season.

The Bulldogs won two of the three meetings, but each game had intriguing storylines. GU defeated an injury-depleted LMU in Spokane, and then lost to a healthier Lions’ outfit in Los Angeles. The Zags beat LMU by 15 in a physical WCC Tournament contest that ended the Lions’ season.

“They gave us a lot of trouble last year,” Gonzaga senior guard Steven Gray said. Gonzaga had won 29 of 31 prior to LMU’s upset victory a year ago.

Meehan linked to this in twitter:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/21162/the-numbers-you-need-to-kn

3. Gonzaga topped Pepperdine 92-75 while shooting 62.5 percent from the field. That’s the program's best shooting performance in a conference game in three years. The biggest reason was Robert Sacre, who put up a career-high 24 points. Not only was the 7-footer a perfect 8-for-8 from the field, but he also hit all eight of his free throws. The last player to attempt at least eight field goals and eight free throws and not miss any of them was Chattanooga’s Alphonso Pugh in 2005 against Georgia Southern. It’s just the fifth such game in the last 10 years, with Carlos Boozer the biggest name on that list. Sacre wasn’t the only Gonzaga player on the mark. Elias Harris went 8-for-9 from the field, including 3-for-3 from long-distance. ZaGranny

You found those two singles you need for tonight yet ?

I'm still digging around but there's bound to be two strays out there by now. Anyone ?

FuManShoes
01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/14/gonzaga-expects-tough-game-loyola/

ID ZAGFAN
01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
You found those two singles you need for tonight yet ?

I'm still digging around but there's bound to be two strays out there by now. Anyone ?

Not yet. Two singles would be great---we could exchange them for an accessible and companion seat and still sit together..

But time is running out--we would need to know by about 1:30 in order to get ready and drive to Spokane.

gamagin
01-15-2011, 09:06 AM
have a bruising style. MA was injured trying to work his magic inside last year, if memory serves.

So while they can be sloppy and disorganized at times, they can also be dangerous.

and if they can intimidate, which is also their wont at times, and they are motivated, which they have been vs. us, well, it could also get dangerous.

I say we run em like rented mules and try to stay away from the street fight they generally present.

laszagas
01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Think Harris will gaurd Viney? and if so, he's going to have his hands full. He can fill it up from outside and can take it to the rim too. He is tough. Manny is a few inches shorter than the 6-8 forward, but I wonder if he will have the assignment?

I think Gray will shut down Teel...

Stop these two guys and we'll roll

DixieZag
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
It would be interesting to see us full-court press a few times a game in conference. Perhaps we could simply "out-athlete" a few teams and with our depth, it wouldn't necessarily compromise our starters legs. I know it is not our style to do so, but with the number of turnovers we had against Portland it might be worth trying. Especially on our Saturday games - it might work - b/c teams will be coming off a war against UP as LMU is.

roxdoc
01-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Don't think you want to have Harris guarding the nimble, hot hand. Either Manny or Kieta sounds better to me.