• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Loyola Marymount...

The Zags had better be ready for a bloody war!!!!

I'm glad that Portland beat Loyola Marymount last night in double overtime. LM may be a little tired, and they may be a little down after the loss. Gonzaga, on the other hand should be pretty rested. They cruised through the second half last night.

Loyola Marymount is a tough team. The game last night in Portland was a real war. I really enjoyed the game. Expect a very tough game tomorrow night against them too. They really played defense last night against Portland, which they did not do against St. Mary's. Or Mabybe St. Mary's is just that good that they made it look like Loyola Marymount didn't play D. Viney may be first team all conference, and they have a Freshman pointguard, Ireland, who is really really good.

I'm not sure that Elias can guard Viney. I think we're going to see Manny Arop guarding him quite a bit. Talking about Manny, what a game he had last night, and I loved the way he guarded Bell. He will need to do the same thing against Viney. Meech will have to be ready to play his best against Ireland. This is a game where Meech will a big role to play.....on Defense.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • thickman1
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

GU by 20...

Comment

• bballbeachbum
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Manny was good last night, he can really bother guys w/ his length and desire. enjoying watching him evolve this year from a tentative guy out there, for whatever reasons earlier, to a more comfortable and confident player right now. fun watching Few and co. mix and match game to game, too, lots of contributors to choose from, different guys they can go to depending...and guys keep stepping up into those opportunities.

got to get on top of LMU early tomorrow, can't let them believe anything except a loss is in the cards, then that double OT loss they suffered last night can be our ally, too

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

The Civil War was a bloody war.

This is a basketball game.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
          The Civil War was a bloody war.

This is a basketball game.
          In all fairness, Reborn said that line with a Sean Connery accent, so its alright.

GU by 15-20 or so.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

HOW did LMU guard Portland well enough to get it to double OT???

I think that Portland is a very good team, is this a case of a team being complacent on their home floor after losing to GU? Or is it a case of LMU having everything go right and playing out of their minds. And please do not tell me that LMU is just that good every night, I saw the way they played against SMC, no energy, missed assignments, not contesting shots. Maybe they have come up here with a mission.

I hope the guys hear ALL about how tough Portland had it, b/c Portland gave us all we wanted in the second half - and if we play LMU like we played UP in the second half, we will be battling for our lives. Play like we played in the first half and we win by 20.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

for the stretch of this game I saw, the middle half of it, LMU looked to be trying to do what GU did defensively, basically get after the perimeter and make PU make contested 2s; LMU had 11 steals. also, Mitrovic was missing open 3s he's been draining, and Waterford was stifled into a non factor. the commentators said something about LMU looking totally different energy/effort wise as opposed to the listless team that showed up vs. St.Marys. maybe Coach Max Goode ripped'em one after they lost the game to St.Marys in the parking lot before tipoff?

also looks like Viney went off late, as he was not doing it while I watched, but the stat line says he did

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dim4sum
                The guy Meech was guarding on Pepperdine was a step ahead of him on every possession and had no problem scoring. His defensive capability is vastly overrated. Let's hope he brings it against LMU. As well as a modicum of basketball IQ. The leadership this year is coming from Rob, no one else.
                that was not his best effort last night, but vastly overrated is very dramatic

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post

also looks like Viney went off late, as he was not doing it while I watched, but the stat line says he did
                  Viney did. He became a worry for me, the more I watched. He is good, but he is also a 'baller'. Likes to shoot and thinks he can make them - which he often does.

Ireland is going to be good too... little guy. Fast though. I see Keita playing more on Sat. Play some hard-nosed D and get some home cookin' and we will be alright.

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Believe me, I never invented the concept of basketball being like a war of battle. I'm not that creative.

If you don't believe that basketball games are often described as "bloody battles" or "wars" then maybe you haven't been around the game very long. and most likely you never played the game in an atomosphere of intense competition. If you believe the game isn't called a war in the rocker room and on the court during practice, then most likely you've never been in either before. If you think the game hasn't been called a battle or a war by TV analysts, commentators and play by play announcers then maybe you don't listen to them during games.

Try telling Meech that it's "just a game" after he's ran down court in lightening speed and goes up high to put the ball in the basket and he has his head ripped off. I wonder if he would agree that it's just a game. I know for a fact that the big men on many basketball teams are taught to make any guard who penetrates the defense down the middle pay for his attack. They are told to punish him. I know because I have been down that lane before, and believe me I have been hit hard. Some of you may not know that basketball is more like playing football without pads then it is like playing tennis.

My post was not intended to be offensive to soldiers who have fought or are currently fighting in a war. I think we all know that basketball is a game, and although it is a tough game, and that for a player to compete in Division I basketball he or she must be tough, the intention of coaches or players is not to kill other players. If I have offended any soldier or veteran by using war as a metaphore for the game of basketball, I apologize, and I am sorry.
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bigparb
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                      HOW did LMU guard Portland well enough to get it to double OT???

I think that Portland is a very good team, is this a case of a team being complacent on their home floor after losing to GU? Or is it a case of LMU having everything go right and playing out of their minds.

anyone can watch the game on replay for themselves on www.espn3.com ; if you watch a game there, when it goes to commercial, skip forward 2 minutes and you should be right about where the action starts up again.....

Portland didn't play very good.....they turned the ball over 15x, Stohl wasn't hitting and LMU hung with them on the glass.....then again LMU did this with Teel going 0-10 from the floor, so who knows....fun game to watch though.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                        Believe me, I never invented the concept of basketball being like a war of battle. I'm not that creative.

If you don't believe that basketball games are often described as "bloody battles" or "wars" then maybe you haven't been around the game very long. and most likely you never played the game in an atomosphere of intense competition. If you believe the game isn't called a war in the rocker room and on the court during practice, then most likely you've never been in either before. If you think the game hasn't been called a battle or a war by TV analysts, commentators and play by play announcers then maybe you don't listen to them during games.

Try telling Meech that it's "just a game" after he's ran down court in lightening speed and goes up high to put the ball in the basket and he has his head ripped off. I wonder if he would agree that it's just a game. I know for a fact that the big men on many basketball teams are taught to make any guard who penetrates the defense down the middle pay for his attack. They are told to punish him. I know because I have been down that lane before, and believe me I have been hit hard. Some of you may not know that basketball is more like playing football without pads then it is like playing tennis.

My post was not intended to be offensive to soldiers who have fought or are currently fighting in a war. I think we all know that basketball is a game, and although it is a tough game, and that for a player to compete in Division I basketball he or she must be tough, the intention of coaches or players is not to kill other players. If I have offended any soldier or veteran by using war as a metaphore for the game of basketball, I apologize, and I am sorry.
                        War! huh-yeah
                        What is it good for?
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Uh-huh

War! huh-yeah
                        What is it good for?
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Say it again y’all

War! huh good God
                        What is it good for?
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Listen to me?

Ohhh? War! I despise
                        Because it means destruction?
                        Of innocent lives

War means tears
                        to thousands of mothers eyes
                        When their sons go to fight
                        and lose their lives

I said – War! Huh Good God y’all
                        What is it good for?
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Say it again

War! Whoa, Lord …
                        What is it good for
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Listen to me?

War! It ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker
                        War! Friend only to the undertaker
                        War! It’s an enemy to all mankind
                        The thought of war blows my mind

War has caused unrest in the younger generation
                        Induction then destruction-
                        Who wants to die?

Ohhh? War Good God y’all
                        What is it good for?
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Say it, Say it, Say it

War! Uh-huh Yeah – Huh!
                        What is it good for?
                        Absolutely nothing
                        Listen to me?

Comment

• thickman1
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thickman1 View Post
                          GU by 20...
                          hopefully a sign of things to come...I need to get to Vegas.

Comment

Working...
                          X