PDA

View Full Version : Pepperdine Factoid

Angelo Roncalli
01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
GU has won 18 consecutive games against Pepperdine.

primal23
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Doesnt seem that long ago that the Pepp game was the BIG rivalry game.

ZagMan in Philly
01-13-2011, 10:03 AM
That is a nice run.
On another note, is Bell playing tonight? He was unavailable with an ankle injury the last three games.

gamagin
01-13-2011, 10:08 AM
GU has won 18 consecutive games against Pepperdine.

view the law of averages here ? We looking at a repeal?

sittingon50
01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
One of the TV stations reported that Bell did make the trip.

Availability: unknown.

realtydog
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
I loved the Pepp games in the old gym--ESPN--I thought they would stick---great school, great location, ---needs new arena bad---might be the smallest gym in the conference

northsidezagfan
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
That is a nice run.
On another note, is Bell playing tonight? He was unavailable with an ankle injury the last three games.

I heard he is probable per Meehan's blog or one of his tweets. Can't remember which.

El Voce
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Doesnt seem that long ago that the Pepp game was the BIG rivalry game.

The rise and rapid fall of Pepperdine should serve as a cautionary tale for our brethren in Moraga. Despite playing in glorified high school gyms, both Gonzaga and Pepperdine were on a basketball roll ten years ago.

GU made a commitment to improve the program: salary hikes for Mark Few and his assistants, a new arena, increased budgeting, etc. The result is what's known around Gonzaga as the Decade of Excellence.

Pepperdine did not make the same commitment. They still play in their high school gym, and despite having a beautiful campus by the ocean, they have slipped to the bottom of the WCC.

The Gaels have a wonderful coach in Randy Bennett. He has pulled SMC from the dregs of the league to a legit Top 25 contender. So far, like Mark Few, he has stayed loyal to his school. But the question remains: If the SMC administration does not make a major commitment to upgrading facilities, will Bennett be willing to stay there long term?

Loyalty is a two-way street. Mark Few stayed loyal to Gonzaga, and Gonzaga stayed loyal to him. It is time for SMC to show that they, too, will be loyal to their coach.

Angelo Roncalli
01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Pepperdine's gym is bigger than SMC's, but not by a huge measure. It's my understanding that even if Pepperdine had the dough to expand Firestone, it would face stiff opposition from their well-healed neighbors in Malibu.

Mantua
01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm superstitious about mentioning streaks:eek: !

LBWave
01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, I'mhoping for some of the old magic and we can give you guys a game tonight.

FYI, there is a plan in place to build a new arena (along with a number of other projects) but, as Angelo pointed out, because Pepperdine is in Malibu along the coast it has to jump through the hoops of not only the city and the county permit process but also the California Coastal Commission. I believe they'll get through it (& they're in the process now) but it'll take time, so expect to come back to the cozy confines of Firestone Fieldhouse for the next several years.

Blitzing-Zag
01-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Thats pretty impressive!

johno
01-14-2011, 08:44 AM
The Gaels have a wonderful coach in Randy Bennett. He has pulled SMC from the dregs of the league to a legit Top 25 contender. So far, like Mark Few, he has stayed loyal to his school. But the question remains: If the SMC administration does not make a major commitment to upgrading facilities, will Bennett be willing to stay there long term?

Does anyone know if St. Marys fills their current arena on non-Zag games, say like against San Diego? Don't forget that Cal and Golden State are just down the road. The Raiders, A's, 49ers, and Giants are in the bay area too. Lots of competition for the sports $. Moraga isn't exactly an easy drive to get to also. Do they have the fan base, like GU to support new facilities?

ID ZAGFAN
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Does anyone know if St. Marys fills their current arena on non-Zag games, say like against San Diego? Don't forget that Cal and Golden State are just down the road. The Raiders, A's, 49ers, and Giants are in the bay area too. Lots of competition for the sports $. Moraga isn't exactly an easy drive to get to also. Do they have the fan base, like GU to support new facilities?

I remember reading last year that the GU women's team had greater attendance than all of the WCC Men's and Women's teams, except for GU Men and Saint Mary's Men, which would seem to indicate SMU draws fairly well for more than just the GU games, since their gym is so much smaller than GU's.

I tried to find attendance records at the WCC site, but couldn't find them.

ZaGranny

U Zig, I Zag
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I think Admins tune into games like LMU and UP that are on NATIONAL TV and see a pretty empty looking building, get depressed, then give up on BBall glory.

U Zig, I Zag
01-14-2011, 10:22 AM

There were a few grumblings on the Gaelisagirlsname, I mean, godisageal.com about playing to less then stellar crowds early in the year.

johno
01-14-2011, 02:13 PM
I found a few box scores from last year. Assuming the 3500 attendance for the Gaels home game against Gonzaga is the full capacity, the home game aganst Pepperdine drew 2718 and the home game against San Diego drew 3126.