PDA

View Full Version : The Bulletin: "‘'Stock’ starts to shine"

ZagNative
01-13-2011, 06:54 AM
From the Gonzaga Bulletin comes this story, which includes another of Jake Kelly's great photos:

Redshirt freshman David Stockton takes nothing for granted, works hard for minutes in inaugural sea (http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/stock-starts-to-shine-1.1840037)

By By Matthew Doyle
"This year is going great," Stockton said. "I am playing good minutes and I feel like I am contributing to the team. I am having a lot of fun."

What Stockton considers fun, however, is what many athletes dread every day. As a redshirt last year, Stockton was only allowed to practice with the team. Rather than simply going through the motions of practice, Stockton competed every day, knowing that it would not only make him better but also his teammates.

"I just like to have fun," Stockton said. "Just to come in and practice hard every day and piss the other guys off and get them better. That's how I make it fun for me."
"We knew coming into the season that David could contribute to the team," Lloyd said. "He worked hard. When we asked him to be a part of our program it wasn't a novelty. The only reason we brought David here was because we thought he could help us win games. This is about David, it has zero to do with his dad. He worked his tail off and put himself in this position."

His dad, of course, is former Bulldog, NBA legend and Hall of Famer John Stockton. However, Stockton is not annoyed by the constant associations with his father as they are nothing new.

"People have been doing that my whole life," Stockton said. "I can't let it bother me because if I did, I probably wouldn't be playing here."

Stockton, who describes himself as "scrappy," hopes to be a starter by the end of his career, but said he is "taking it one year at a time and trying to get better."

"He will always be somebody who helps us win games," Lloyd said. "Whether that is as a starter or reserve I don't know, that will play itself out over time. But he helps our program, there is no doubt."

gamagin
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
it's fun watching this all play out, too. no doubt.

jpwils
01-13-2011, 08:48 AM
David,

You are a credit to this team and you have many fans who appreciate your
work ethic and selfless team play- we seem to move the ball alot better when you are in the game!

Keep up the solid play!

Zagdawg
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm a Stockton fan also-- keep up the good work.

bballbeachbum
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice mid-morning read between phone calls :)

Do it David

buenaparkzag
01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
David is awesome. If he keeps on doing what he has been doing it will help us a great deal. High basketball I.Q. and great court vision. David is awesome and he is going to be better and better.

Robzagnut
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
If he could just grow 2 inches by next season... then the skies the limit.

Papa K
01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I like what David brings to the table. Once that shot starts dropping watch out! Savy and high BB IQ. It can only rub off on Meech and Carter right?

kclubfounder
01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Basketball IQ is difficult to measure, but it is SO important - especially at the collegiate level - and especially especially at the point guard position. David Stockton is AWESOME.