PDA

View Full Version : GU Radio Roundtable notes from 1510 kga 1/12/11

hooter73
01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
caught some of an hour long segment on 1510 (am radio in Spokane) this afternoon while running around town. didnt catch it all by a long shot and hopefully someone else can fill in where I missed. Most of what i heard mirrored what has been said or guessed at on this forum.

Elho (who was surprisingly cognizant), Meehan, and Santangilo (sp?) sat in on it with Toby interviewing/posing the questions.

Quick tidbits from them - not my interpretation and all from a bad memory so dont quote me quoting them:

Hyland - Not a huge loss considering how much he's missed and who we have coming in. just an unknown.

Kelly - basically role playing as a big guard due to limited minutes available with Rob and Harris (when hes 'on') successes.

Dower - playing well as a freshman. Would get more minutes if rebounding and defense improved but playing time is suffering from Robs success.

Carter - just plain suffering. Confidence is shot. Not much else to say.

Stockton playing time is more judged by the competition. The offensive sets flow well/better and quicker with his passing if we are not playing against physical guards. Combine Stock + Meech and you get one good point guard.

Keita is a spark. Had trouble adjusting footwork early on and while he doesnt put numbers the team has energy with him playing. Always trying at 100% successes and mistakes.

Daniels is a great coach, has presence and experience. Came in to work with bigs and recruiting.

Perimeter D has really really picked up. was know to be a detriment early on with people overloading the off side help and walking back when they would have been sprinting. Actually did well shutting down Portland's threes. only 12 attempts allowed is really good for us. Practices have to be run at game speed or it doesnt set in.

I missed all the really good stuff on offensive and defensive sets, non conference scheduling, conference competition and the things that we probably hadnt heard much of or at least much about from the people that do this for a living. Hope someone else can fill in the rest.

BobZag
01-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I hope Carter can get back into some PT. David is good vs WCC type teams but he'll be abused vs bigger BCS types. I agree with the folks on KGA.

realtydog
01-13-2011, 10:46 AM
good WCC guard---Illinois is the perfect example

ZagNative
01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I really enjoyed Toby's Round Table shows last year, when he often had the shows available as podcasts for download, and I could check his twitters to see what he had coming up. He's not doing the podcasts or maintaining his twitter account this year, so I don't know when I'll be able to catch the round tables. Too bad, because he really does a good job on interviews and in moderating the round table discussions.