PDA

View Full Version : So far, your favorite . . .

tyra
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
What is your most pleasant surprise about the Zags' performance thus far this year? A particular player? A particular aspect to our game? Anything.

maynard g krebs
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
What is your most pleasant surprise about the Zags' performance thus far this year? A particular player? A particular aspect to our game? Anything.

Sacre's ft shooting is huge. He gets to the line a lot, and when other guys see a 7' center making 80%, it makes shooting them easier psychologically for the others imo. The team percentage this year is because Rob is leading them there.

Also, his improved passing out of the post.

Close second for David Stockton's surprising contributions.

DixieZag
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
The inexplicable, unforeseen but hugely appreciated transition from a team that was a bad free throw shooting team to one that takes pride in beating teams from the line.

Our defensive resergence.

Our depth.

The weird way that, since ND, a different guy has stepped up each game and given something unexpected to help us win.

ZagFan98
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I would definately have to say our young players. Arop has stepped up big this year playing a vital role in many games this season. Dower is our most productive player on the team in terms of minutes played. Hopefully he gets some more pt to show his size and skill to produce more good minutes. Morninghoff is just a stud. He has the purest shot I have ever seen, and as a freshman he is way ahead of his time. This is a good thing for the Zags because he will be a four year player and can only improve.

I am also very impressed with the poise of this team. When we had our little skid early in the season I was questioning how good this team was and if we had any leadership in our veteran players. Now I know we are that team I thought we were and when tourny time comes around all I can say is watch out. As far as our leadership goes, Gray and Sacre have stepped up and got the rest of our young team playing hard and smart. Can't wait to see what this team can do if they keep up this style of play.

MickMick
01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I have to admit that I thought Goodson was the weakest link of the team. All the way through the Xavier game I believed that. In fact, the Xavier game reinforced that.

But starting with Lafayette, the light bulb came on. He started creating shots and visiting the foul line. I needed to see more against better competition to become a believer. He went a long way towards that by absolutely shining against Oklahoma State. He has since followed that up with very solid performances against Wake Forest and Portland.

I'm only talking about a four game stretch, but I'm starting to believe he has turned the corner on the offensive end. For the first time, I actually want to see him on the court at critical junctures.

What I once believed to be an area that would hold the entire team back, I have to say that I no longer believe that.

Without question, Sacre and Goodson have improved the most through the OOC schedule albeit Meech was much more of a late bloomer. Five games ago I wanted him to ride the pine. It wasn't that long ago. Now I believe he has to be in the game down the stretch.

For me, Goodson is the most pleasant surprise and the most needed as well.

Section 116
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
This thread actually touches upon a discussion Elvoce and I had today. We both expressed pleasure and surprise at the depth and quality of the bench. Elvoce is particularly high on Olynyk and I am more enamored with the play of Stockton.

CDC84
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Without a doubt Sacre's improved foul shooting. He's an 81.3% foul shooter this year. Last season: 62.9%.

Jedster
01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Looking at the big picture of the season, I'm most pleasantly surprised at how well we've handled the early adversity and overcame some huge obstacles (my most UNpleasant surprise was how poorly we played some of those games).

I felt, especially early on, we'd be a much different (and better) team come March, but I didn't expect to see us improve so quickly from the bottom we hit. Figured we'd need some time in the WCC schedule for that to happen, and was cringing a bit thinking of the rest of our OOC schedule. Shows the heart, toughness, and desire of the team and coaching staff. We still need to get a lot better with our half court offense as we stagnate too often, but I like the progress.

zag67
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I think that it is fun to see that every game another person on the team steps up. Meech is playing so much better on the offensive end. When he is playing bad, then Stockton comes in gives some very solid minutes and allows Meech to watch, then he comes back in and makes it happen. Sacre has played a solid center position. Kieta, Manny, and MM have each come in at different times and played fantastically. Manny is showing that he knows what is expected of him and is working at doing it. Lastly Dower and KO have each shown that they deserve time on the court and each has played big in certain games.

Lastly, I think that my favorite is the coaching staff. They have done a super job of mixing and matching to make things happen. Thanks for a super year to watch.

MDABE80
01-11-2011, 09:27 PM
1. Meech is hard to ignore. Way improved.
2.Rob's all around performance...including FT's.

Disappointment?..Elias. It's so striking! This was a kid who was slotted as a 2nd team AA by many. He's been injured but he should be getting much better by now. He's not doing a "Zack" just yet but he does need to get his business going.

RenoZag
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Bench Strength

windycityzag
01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Mathis squared.

MATT IS' confidence in being a regular contributor and a solid 3 pt gunner.

MAH TISS" high energy and ability to cause havoc on the defensive end.

Got to love the foreign imports...

kitzbuel
01-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Rob's play. He has improved his post play which is giving him the FT chances.

gamagin
01-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Inside-out. Filling in the weak spots, which vary, with ready, eager-even, bench players and continuing, in some cases improving for valuable minutes, the flow of our game and progress.

Whether one or more of our top four starters is having a bad run, or a bad game, "someone" has stepped up and filled the gap.

AS a result, the open man is starting to shoot because RS et al are usually ready for a rebound, a putback and even a free throw, if not a dish back to an open shooter.

It's the circle of basketball.

It works more often than not these days and it needs to continue as the team spirit and confidence all this inspires keeps on growing, too, from the starting lineup on through the entire rotation that is evolving.

Perhaps most importantly, we seem to be having fun in the process. Players are smiling more, supporting each other more, and loving the competition that the game of basketball inspires.

Birddog
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
It's a tie between Sacre's improved play (all around) and Keita.

Zag4Hire
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't how to put this eloquently but something to the nature of a complete underestimation of how this was a team in transition with coaching changes, new players, injuries, etc. and how Few and the players have definitely got the team on track. Think about the loss of Bouldin and Rice, the incoming of Daniels and many new faces, injuries to Harris, Gray, and Hoff. It is not difficult to see how this team has quickly evolved since November by just going back and comparing earlier threads to now.

U Zig, I Zag
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Keita's energy. He is a good combination of height/speed/hops. With Elias either being injured or just having a bad year (though better the last 5 games, so maybe it was just the injuries) we need a guy like him for aggresive plays.

mgadfly
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Sam Dower's efficiency. Statistically there hasn't been a let down during the 28.3% of minutes that he has been in the game instead of Rob, er I mean Bobby.

cjm720
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Two things:

David Stockton - Good player, great story that has just begun.

Coaching and Depth - the team went from a deer in headlights during the tough skid to a cohesive unit that emphasize quick passing, decision making, post play, and defense. The stretch of losses IMO has unified the group that hopefully will never let up against an opponent.

Go Zags!!!

Mantua
01-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Growth!

The returning players and the new players are working hard and improving.

Few has been criticized recently for not motivating this team. How do you account for their progress?

tyra
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I read this board religiously because I learn from others. I certainly did with your answers. For my part, I have been quite surprised at playing time allocation. I never thought I would see Coach distribute as many minutes as he has thus far. But then again, it is working. :-)

ronh_pm
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Easily my favorite part of the Zags this year is how they have become a force in the paint.

College basketball has become a 3 point shooting contest with the big man sort of just there to gather up rebounds or defend the other teams big man that is just there to gather up rebounds.

Rob, to me, has improved his game to such a degree that the Zags can run an offense that few teams can, and that is play in the paint.

I love it!

zagabond
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
The addition of Donny Daniels. Timely addition to coaching staff that will make a real difference in attacting and developing 4's and 5's.