PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of the WCC

BobZag
01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm of the belief that BYU won't be a longterm member of the WCC unless no other conference wants them. But while they're members, every current WCC member will benefit.

Consider basketball:

Portland, St. Mary's and Gonzaga are currently Top-50 RPI teams (Top-40, to be specific). Anyone notice where BYU rates today on the RPI scale? 3rd.

The old "Now our RPI will sink into oblivion" argument when playing WCC competition does a 180 U-turn. Instead, the RPIs of any team having success in the WCC goes up. Those weaker teams with lousy RPIs don't do any dragging on the stronger teams, canceled out by the (currently speaking) four Top-50 RPI teams.

Plus, if you manage to win against BYU, GU, SMC, UP, it goes on your resume' as a "quality win" that figures positively into the Selection Committee's seeding decisions in March, not to mention things like poll rankings.

I guess what I'm thinking is, beginning next season...

http://www.lwwdc.org/Spicoli3.jpg
"Whaa dude, let's party!"

bballbeachbum
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
that was my skull!

GO ZAGS!!!

Johnzaga
01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I would hope that BYU decides to stick around. The WCC has certainly become stronger in the past 5 years alone! I would love to see it grow to 10 or 12 teams! More likely to have at least 4 solid teams! Like Pac-10, they aren't usually tough top to bottom...but almost always have 4 to 6 top 40 teams!

Angelo Roncalli
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I would hope that BYU decides to stick around. The WCC has certainly become stronger in the past 5 years alone! I would love to see it grow to 10 or 12 teams! More likely to have at least 4 solid teams! Like Pac-10, they aren't usually tough top to bottom...but almost always have 4 to 6 top 40 teams!

BYU will only be around until it gets an invite from a BCS conference (my guess: Big 12). I peg the over/under at 3 years.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I suspect that the BYU move to the WCC is nothing more than a placeholder for them. They want to get to the PAC 10 or Big 12. I'm surprised that neither of those leagues offered a place to BYU with all of the changes that were made over the past season. I will enjoy them while they are in the WCC, but I'm not expecting to see them for long.

Even without BYU, the league is getting better. Teams are starting to build competitive programs that can sustain success from year to year. St. Mary's is doing something that nobody in the league has been able to do during the past twenty years, besides Gonzaga. They are re-loading between seasons and staying competitive even after losing quite a few good players to graduation and to the NBA. In all the time that I've watched the WCC, I've never seen a team besides Gonzaga lose an NBA caliber player (Patty Mills) and come back with a stronger team in the following season. That is exactly what they did with that great Sweet-16 run from last year. If they can continue to re-load following the loss of the likes of Diamon, Patty, and Samhan, they are going to be a force for a long time.

Portland has really surprised me, this season. They lost so much to graduation, but still rolled out a Top-50 team, this season. It will be great for the league if both of those teams can begin to sustain that type of competitive play from season to season.

ridgebackzag
01-10-2011, 08:21 PM
The WCC doesn't have football, no chance they stay. The just have too big of a school.

MDABE80
01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
It's a business deal. BYU will stay unless FB suffers because of BB affliliations. We'll see.

VinnyZag
01-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I doubt Reveno stays at Portland after this year, so the progress made there could slip away quickly. I keep expecting Bennett to leave SMC, too, but I haven't really heard much about him pursuing bigger jobs, so maybe not.

Also, I still don't think the Pilots are worthy of their RPI this year. KenPom has them in the 80s.

zagitup
01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I think the assumption that BYU is a WCC short-timer is faulty. Their "line in the sand" to not play collegiate sports on Sunday's might as well be etched in granite... it simply will never change. I believe this fact alone will prevent the other major BCS conferences from ever extending invitations to them.

They are taking a somewhat risky chance by going independent with their football program, but with their long-standing relationship with ESPN and their new state-of-the-art broadcasting facility in Provo, their chances of succeeding in this venture are way better than most folks predict.

All of these elements combined make the WCC a perfect fit for the BYU basketball program. By the way... don't bet that BYU will ever return to the MWC. Too many bridges were obliterated there. The WAC? :p Not a chance...BYU is smarter than that.

Bottom line is this... expect BYU to be with us for a looonnnggg time.

Zag4Hire
01-11-2011, 09:05 AM
I am surprised that TCU & BYU didn't work out a deal with the Big 12 but I don't know all the facts. I guess it would depend on how lucrative the Independent status in football lasts. For people thinking 3-5 years only in WCC, BYU just signed an 8 year deal with ESPN. I would think they would ride that out and then see their options afterwards.

MJGoGaels
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
We just got an automatic home and home series every year - everything else is just wavy gravy.

SteelCityZag
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I actually think the WCC might be the best fit for BYU, of the options available. Sure, they want a football conference like the Big 10(12) or the PAC 10(12), but I'm here to tell you that ain't gonna happen.

BYU, like Gonzaga, is a private, religiously-affiliated school. Those two conference are looking to add teams that make sense for them, which are large, public, state schools that are A1 research institutions. BYU will never be considered in that category because of their religious affiliation.

It doesn't make much sense looking at it, but these bigger sports conferences are looking to add schools they can hobnob with who not only bring their conference into new TV markets (which represents millions of dollars) but also, and perhaps more importantly, who receive billions of dollars in federal research grants. BYU, like Gonzaga and Notre Dame, don't run in those circles. They simply aren't major research institutions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

These guys want to compete with the Ivy's for this money, and because of religious beliefs, they simply will not be taken seriously for the big federal funding.

And the PAC 10 adding Utah all but eliminates any benefit of TV market share they might get if they were even considering adding BYU, which they aren't, because they've already got a horse in that race. Utah gives them as much of the market as they're likely to get.

Would BYU jump if the PAC 12 offered a spot. Sure. But they won't. They'll go after Texas, A&M, Okie and Okie St, as will the Big 10 (12). As for TV markets and research dollars, Texas is the biggest prize on the board.

Now, given this environment, BYU decides to go independent in football (they don't have alot of options outside of the Mountain West) and the WCC benefits by adding them in all other sports. And if you look at it, with football out of the equation, it makes sense for BYU to be in the WCC as well.
The conference is comprised of religiously-affiliated schools who compete in the same sports.

It's a good fit, and where else is BYU going to go? This tells me, that unless the landscape changes drastically, which it might, BYU will be with us for a while. And I think it's a good fit for both.

surfmonkey89
01-11-2011, 07:40 PM
All I know is that next year's WCC tourney is going to be one for the ages.

Everyone had better start saving their money now, and be ready to bring their A Game, because it will be a showdown to determine whether Gonzaga is legitimately the class of the WCC or the beneficiary of a weak conference for the last decade. Of course, that's not my opinion, but you can put all your money on that being the storyline for the tourney next year.

It might get old some day, but right now I'm really excited to have new blood in the conference.

BobZag
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM
No Jimmer, no problem.

Zag4Hire
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
No Jimmer, no problem.

Or Jackson Emery for that matter.

titopoet
01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
First, I don't think BYU is going anywhere anytime soon. Their ESPN deal makes it easier for them to schedule football. (Much like it has work for GU in basketball) Second, there is no other league that works for them right now. The Pac-12 will not add them. (Too many of the College Presidents have nix the idea, making it as far fetch as GU joining the Pac-12) The Big-12 is still reeling from the the various raids, and may look to target Arkansas, while SEC maybe looking at Tex A&M. Add to Texas getting everything they wanted and the other schools living through them. The WAC has been too weakened, and MWC will not be option. C-USA, Big East, neither are a good a option as the WCC. BYU will be in WCC for a while baring anything other craziness that they have no control of, like Texas creating a super league with a mixture of SEC and Big 12, leaving the old B-12 north (like Kansas and KSU in a lurch.)

BYU
01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Most fans I talk to look forward to joining the WCC. I loved the MWC on the field, but the TV deal and the level of hate from the other schools will not be missed.

I am not an insider, but I don't get the impression our admins are looking at this as a short term stop. If everything works out okay with independence, I think the admins now have the setup they would like for the sports programs.

I would not be surprised to see a football only affiliation for our football program with the Big 12 conference if the realignments don't kill the Big 12. However, I would rather see independence work.

Das Zagger
01-14-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm of the belief that BYU won't be a longterm member of the WCC

BYU is in the WCC two years and then they're heading to the Big 12 conference, don't get too comfy with them.

zag67
01-14-2011, 07:48 AM
If it works well for BYU, why not then look at Boise State doing the same. That way they are great independents for football and yet have a solid conference for the rest of their sports. There are then a set of independent teams like Notre Dame, BYU and BSU scheduling each other for football each year. This gives all of them a solid start for a schedule.