PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Zags on 1st Conference win

Reborn
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Way to go Zags. Way to take care of home court advantage. You had me scared there for a few minutes. Knock it OFF!!! A huge win. An important win. We're now off to a good start in conference play. A huge shout out to the old farts who really brought the energy into the game when it was needed tonight. I can hardly wait for the Kennel Club to get back.

Also congrats to Portland for a good game. They kind of a took it to the Zags for awhile. I knew Portland would be tough. They have a tough coach. They have 3 pretty good big guys and their point guard, Waterford played really well. Mitrovic is a very good player. The Zags got tough when they needed to though. Way to bend but not break guys. Sometimes I really wonder what the Zags do at halftime?

I think the difference in this one was Steven Gray's and Manny Arop's defense. Gray completely shut down Jared Stohl who is very good. I think Stohl got just 4 pts.

The Zags just had 9 turnovers (yippie, yippie, yippie). Its about time too. Portland had 20. Thats one big statistical difference. The other is we shot 19-24 at the foul line while Portland 6-8. The last huge statistic was steals. Gonzaga had 10 and Portland 2, and the Zags scored on many of those steals.

I was extremely disappointed in the play of Elias Harris. He's a HUGE disappointment. He played without any fire at all. I wish Few had kept him on bench the whole game. Olynyk was playing really well, and I felt he really uplifted the Zags when Portland got within 3. Kelly scored five points in probably a minute, one a 3 point shot that got the lead back up to ten points.

Gonzaga's bench gets a lot of credit for this win. They outscored the Pilots bench 32-12. They logged in 75 minutes with Arop and Olynyk leading the way with 20 minutes each. Monninghoff, although only logging in 14 minutes, scored the most points with 9 followed by Arop with 8 and Kelly 7. Kelly led the team in rebounding with 8. Arop had 3 offensive boards.

fedwayzag
01-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I think the refs really took Elias out of the game. The second foul called on him was terrible. You could see his frustration at the time. Never really got back into the game. I would not want to be guarding him the next couple of games.

2wiceright
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Kelly is becoming quite the clutch player as Reborn alluded to. Big scores at key times in our winning efforts. I really liked how Arop got alot of minutes tonight- and he showed why he deserved them. Don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I think we'd be a better team with him starting, IMHO.
Great Win!

DCZag
01-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Team win and our D was good. I was more than pleased that we kept the turnovers under 10 and that Meech had 4 assists and 0 TO's. Got good minutes from the bench and Manny was really a spark plug.

And it even helped our RPI!

Nice win and great way to kick off the conference.

PilotNut
01-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Congrats on the W... looking forward to the rematch @ Chiles next month!