PDA

View Full Version : Green: I'm NOT outa here?

NJZag
06-03-2007, 06:50 AM
This is to contrast with the "I'm outa here" header on Casto.

Surprising development in the NBA draft:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2889584

Reasons not mentioned in the article about why it's not over til its over?

Julian Wright is ahead of him in some draft polls
Unfinished business -- Final Four was not enough
Amazing coverage -- Green & Hibbert could hog the headlines and increase their draft stock
Patrick Ewing, Jr. -- his best friend
NCAA -- raised the insurance cap to $20 million

Add to that, he's his own worst critic and can't be happy about not being his usual clutch self in that last losing game.

First clue: Even after the press conference about one staying and the other starting the process to find an NBA agent, Green avoided running afoul of the contact rules as agents were directed to deal with his coach and not him. So there's a smart coach and other adults advising a smart kid -- keeping options open even as the 5/25/07 projections at one source had him at #6 and Wright at #10.

http://www.nbadraft.net/

It will be interesting to see if he joins Hibbert to become symbols for the Stay in School Movement, just as the core of Florida's team did by passing up the draft in '06.

How might the re-juggling affect the pre-season rankings from #1 on down? Will it just be movement at the top, probably making them hands-down the #1, displacing Memphis at #1 as Katz saw things after the initial round of early entry announcements? Do the Zags stay undisturbed at #11, or are there other kids who are staying away from direct agent contact until the last minute?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2853904

RebornZag
06-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Thank you for the wonderful, and informative post, NJZag. One good thing about Georgetown is that their mascot is a Bulldog. Just like us. And they are a Catholic school just like ours. Please keep us updated on all their players. Maybe you could also find out what's going on at the other Catholic (and especially Jesuit) universities and keep us posted. Oh, and while you're at it, maybe you could do some research on teams that are Bulldogs. Afterall, this is a Bulldog site.

NJZag
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Actually, I was more interested in finding out what other so-called "declared" players might be up to, and how many might decide to bail out on the NBA Draft and also decide to return to school.

CDC had noted his surprise a few weeks ago that even one of the two NBA prospects was staying in school, and speculated about the pre-season ranking "impact" of that.

That's where I left my own question dangling.

That's what would affect Gonzaga's pre-season ranking as it moves into the early season.

About four years ago, I actually did a run-down on the 28 Jesuit universities for the board, taking a look at where they were aligned (D-1, D-II etc.) and for those in D-I, their prior five years' SOS and RPIs. The topic arose in connection with a proposed "Jesuit Tournament" which various fans and sports commentators have touted. Creighton tried to get one going about three years ago. Then there were rumors of Georgetown picking it up with Gonzaga being an invitee and supposedly bumping the return game of the home-and-home series with St. Joe's until later than the initially planned date in order to either play St. Joe's at that tournament, or as part of an East Coast swing.

The agendas change in the course of a year or two, and with them the scheduling decisions. If the idea ever comes to pass, maybe it would be a Majerus type who could pull it off. "Meet me in St. Louis."

Anyway, open questions invite responses. It was surprising that someone who might go as high as #6 could have decided to back away from going pro. It makes me curious if there are others, and what their return to their teams does for their teams.

RebornZag
06-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I totally agree with you NJZag about the worthiness of your thread. It was a very good topic. I just had difficulties seeing where it pertained to GU (that's Gonzaga University) basketball. I am aware that we have a general basketball forum here on this board, and thought maybe it'd fit in better there. But I do see now how it pertains to GU (Gonzaga University) basketball. I will say one thing about the two GU's were talking about. I would love to play Georgetown University in a home and home series for 4 straight years as we are doing with Memphis currently.

If Green and Hibbert return Georgetown U will be a powerhouse for sure. I'd love to have a chance to play them. But I suspect that our match-ups with Memphis, WSU, Oklahoma State and possibly Texas Tech and or Butler might be enough for next year.

CDC84
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I know this goes without saying, but IF Green returns to Georgetown, they will probably be the preseason #1 team. Nearly every other team that looked great on paper going into next season has a key component(s) on the sidelines or in the 2007 draft.

Even if Green leaves, G'Town is back in a major way. Thompson has an absolute strangehold over D.C./Maryland recruiting right now. Gary Williams, Joe Boeheim and others who have raided the area in the past aren't finding it so easy nowadays......