PDA

View Full Version : Keating loses another

jaydee77
01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Starting guard Robert Smith, All WCC freshman team last year has left the Broncos. I know the Zags lose a player or two once in a while but Keating has lost a few starters. James Rahon is another

77Zag
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm assuming we'll see Mr. Keating packing his bag at the end of the year.

Many Broncos are not happy with the state of the program. Oh where, oh where did Dick go?

Angelo Roncalli
01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Robert Smith's high school coach says the point guard left Santa Clara three weeks ago after his grandmother became ill. But Perris High coach Elzie Landers said that was only the final factor in his decision to leave the Broncos midway through his sophomore season.
Landers said Smith had issues with coach Kerry Keating over the Broncos' system and his role in it. Smith set an SCU freshman record for minutes played last season while averaging 12.1 points and earning a spot on the WCC all-freshman squad.
He recently was sharing the point guard spot with freshman Evan Roquemore, and his scoring average dipped to 5.5 points.

Article: http://www.mercurynews.com/college-sports/ci_17013149?nclick_check=1

Seems like there's an epidemic in the Bay Area. Cal is losing one of its guards--freshman Gary Franklin--as well:

California freshman guard Gary Franklin, a former Santa Ana Mater Dei star and a onetime USC commit, has reportedly decided to leave the Bears and will transfer.

Franklin started 11 games for Cal, averaging 8.2 points in that stretch, but the 6-foot-2 guard has come off the bench recently. His highest-scoring game was against New Mexico, when he had 16 points.

Franklin was one of the most highly touted point-guard recruits in the nation in the class of 2010 and had verbally committed to USC as a junior out of Mater Dei, but he backed off when then-coach Tim Floyd left the Trojans in 2009 following allegations of scandal surrounding former guard O.J. Mayo.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/01/usc-basketball-former-trojans-commit-gary-franklin-reportedly-leaving-cal.html

BobZag
01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Franklin is a stud. I wonder if LMU has a chance at him.

ronh_pm
01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Franklin had been in the dog house a couple of games but sure did not affect his play coming in off the bench as he still put up big points.

With Cal only having (I believe) one schollie for next year this really opens up a log jam they have at the guard position and though as with most people I wish Franklin the best my man Emerson Murray will be one of the immediate benefactors of the move both this year and even more so next.