PDA

View Full Version : Will Gonzaga be better next year

RebornZag
06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Summer is almost here, and it might be a good time for early predictions. I think in general most of the rosters are set for next at the Div I level.

I definately think that GU will be better next year. We lose three Seniors from this years team: Drav, Mallon and PMaC. We lose ABOUT 29 pts per game and 63 minutes per game. The year before (Morrison, JP and Errol) we lost around 60 pts per game. About twice as many as this year.

We have six new players to pick up those 30 pts per game and I really don't think it will be hard. We also have Downs and Pendo who will average more next year than they did this year. I think the same could be said of Matt and Josh (maybe).

We had many players this year who were taking on new roles as Zags. Last years team was so dominated by Morrison and JP that even though we had a lot of guys back they were a different team without JP and Adam and Errol too really. Next year a lot of these guys will be back and will have a year under their belt, and one would assume they'd be a lot better.

Gonzaga was also put out in the NCAA tournament in the first round. I think we can top that this year.

BobZag
06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Better this year than last year, and better the year after next year than next year. That's how it should play out.

RebornZag
06-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Do you think we'll make it to the Sweet 16 next year, Bob? Do you think Daye will start in the latter part of the Season like Matt did last year? Or will he be like most Freshman who play for GU? Do you see any of the others contributing much as Freshman?

BobZag
06-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Do you think we'll make it to the Sweet 16 next year, Bob? Do you think Daye will start in the latter part of the Season like Matt did last year? Or will he be like most Freshman who play for GU? Do you see any of the others contributing much as Freshman?

Imo, yes we should be SS this coming year. "Should" is the operative word. The points lost from last year are minimal. The mere improvement of our returning guys should make up for that. DR averaged 18 but near the end the others barely registered. Micah, Josh, Matt, and for reasons you point out with others, the numbers will jump, or should jump.

I plan to get in and observe the frosh playing pick up games with the team after July 1. I'll know in a short amount of time just what to expect from Daye and the others. Adam blew me away as the best player on the floor as a frosh in summer pick up games, and that was when Stepp, Cory, Ronny and others were out there. My feeling is, as of now, Daye will be just as good as Adam, Bouldin and Stepp as frosh. 10ppg is not unrealistic. Few is pumped, and that's rare.