X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Contemplations on TOs

I went into this thinking that TOs were the complete and total problem for this team... but found it interesting as I looked at it. Games won in Bold, Lost in red.

SOU 14
    IUPUI 14
    SDSU 14
    KSU 17
    MRQ 16
    EWU 16

ILL 11
    WSU 25
    ND 9

LEW 11
    BAY 16
    XAV 23
    LAF 15
    OKS 10
    WAKE 19

That is 230 TOs in 15 games which translates to 15.33 per game. TOs for losses is 15.2... now, let's throw out the WSU as being a game that they just didn't show up for. Now with the remaining four losses you average only 12.75 (which would be in the top 100 in NCAA rankings). Odder still is that they played sloppier ball in many of the wins as compared to the losses.

Just some food for thought and certainly not what I expected going out.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Win or lose...we turn the ball over too much. If we get back to being a top 10 team, we need to limit to 10 or less.
    Nice work LIZ.

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Nice work LIZF. Maybe we are getting better shots and better offensive flow so that when we DON"T turn it over we are scoring at a higher percentage. I know that we still make dumb dumb turnovers, but there are fewer passes flying into the sixth row. At WF some of the TOs were questionable traveling or offensive fouls, and I think those are counted as turnovers.

I don't know. We are playing better, the teams we are playing are not quite as good as K-State, ND, SDSU - probably all part of a bigger picture.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
        I went into this thinking that TOs were the complete and total problem for this team... but found it interesting as I looked at it.

That is 230 TOs in 15 games which translates to 15.33 per game. TOs for losses is 15.2... now, let's throw out the WSU as being a game that they just didn't show up for. Now with the remaining four losses you average only 12.75 (which would be in the top 100 in NCAA rankings). Odder still is that they played sloppier ball in many of the wins as compared to the losses.

Good point. And when the numbers are put in context, it looks different. GU is 248th in to's per the NCAA stat page, but committing 3 less to's a game would put them at 53rd.

Also, this stat is going to be higher for uptempo teams. GU is 42nd in scoring at 77.2 ppg. The more relevant stat is assist/to ratio, which is 1.04 (112th) not great but decent considering that most teams ahead of GU have probably played a lesser sched to this point. In raw assist #s, 16.1 is 37th, outstanding considering the schedule and the issues at pg (and painting a better picture of play at that position than many, myself included, have given credit for)).

Also directly related is fg%, 32nd at 48%. This stat is always related to ease/difficulty of shots attempted, i.e., if you try more thread-the-needle passes that lead to dunks and layups, by definition you're gonna turn the ball over a few more times.

Not a huge issue for this team when you look at all the factors which mitigate the raw numbers.

Comment

• allnet59
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Dec 2009

a turn over is a turn over regardless its just one less chance of attempting a shot or using the clock if you have a lead in a tight game down the stretch. keep them to an average of twelve a game and you should be good to go. i think with all the new faces and the tough early schedule we got hurt quite a bit. but i see a light at the end of the tunnel and the zags should be good during the upcoming conference run. I've been a meech basher for quite awhile but he's making me rethink my feelings of his point guard play. go zags

Comment

• djdallaszag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Dec 2010

Seems like a lot of the turnovers are the result of forcing it into the post even when the defense is packed in. Conversely, we could have our guards shoot more instead of forcing it in, but that doesn't win you games in the long run.

Comment

• gamagin
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

+1

I went into this thinking that TOs were the complete and total problem for this team... but found it interesting as I looked at it. Games won in Bold, Lost in red.

SOU 14
              IUPUI 14
              SDSU 14
              KSU 17
              MRQ 16
              EWU 16

ILL 11
              WSU 25
              ND 9

LEW 11
              BAY 16
              XAV 23
              LAF 15
              OKS 10
              WAKE 19

interesting stuff. thanks. I tend to look for the rebounding @ both ends as the "thing" that keeps us in the game, or winning, for that mater. Our t.o.'s seem to come in streaks and seem to only occasionally be deal breakers vs. frustration makers.

As long as we keep plugging like we have: inside-out.
              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

+1

SOU 14
                IUPUI 14
                SDSU 14
                KSU 17
                MRQ 16
                EWU 16

ILL 11
                WSU 25
                ND 9

LEW 11
                BAY 16
                XAV 23
                LAF 15
                OKS 10
                WAKE 19

interesting stuff. thanks. I tend to look for the rebounding @ both ends as the "thing" that keeps us in the game, or winning, for that matter. Our t.o.'s seem to come in streaks and seem to only occasionally be potential deal/game breakers vs. frustration makers.

As long as we keep plugging like we have: inside-out.
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

interesting research...but i still can't help but feel that turnovers are where this team needs to improve the most.

someone above mentioned rob as a primary culprit and i tend to agree...for as much as rob has improved, in every game there still seems to be one or two times where he loses the ball in a situation where he has a sure dunk or layup.

another thing on sacre...considering how good he is at getting good post position, rob should really be shooting over 50% like any good big...he's missing way too many bunnies.

Comment

• gamagin
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

RS is going to lose his share of handles

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                    interesting research...but i still can't help but feel that turnovers are where this team needs to improve the most.

someone above mentioned rob as a primary culprit and i tend to agree...for as much as rob has improved, in every game there still seems to be one or two times where he loses the ball in a situation where he has a sure dunk or layup.
                    The death knell will be when/if he is shut out, as he was many times last year.

That cannot happen. So we take the good (his points and leadership and energy and dominance) over his getting hacked and even showing occasional hands of stone. Because the good is really good, and sometimes great.

The counter to this is trying to become a perimeter team, underutilizing one of the biggest and strongest and recently savvy high percentage f.t. shooting and shooting players in the WCC and beyond.

That is exactly what our opponents want.

Take the t.o.'s. Discount them for what they are: the cost of beating our opponents. Maybe weigh the f.t.'s he takes and makes against the misfires and we're still ahead.
                    Go TEAM Zags !

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post

another thing on sacre...considering how good he is at getting good post position, rob should really be shooting over 50% like any good big...he's missing way too many bunnies.
                      since i kinda took a shot at big rob in my last post, i feel i need to come back and make a positive statement...recently he's been showing incredible and quite accurate range on his jump shot that i didn't think i would ever see. he looks really confident taking the jumper and i actually think i would be comfortable with him taking more if he's wide open.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Wisconsin is the only team averaging single digit turnovers, and also leads in a/to ratio at 1.8+. And their bigs shoot a lot of jumpers, and are proficient at it. So their offense makes low risk passes.

Seems like the two things with the highest t.o. risk are running the fast break and going inside in the halfcourt offense, two things the Zags focus on doing. High risk=high reward; to some extent you gotta take the bad with the good.

Comment

Working...
                        X