PDA

View Full Version : K.O. getting some props as WCC 6th man of the week.

ronh_pm
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Nice atta boy for K.O. from one of the sites that likes to crunch numbers. 2nd one of the year for Kelly.

StatSheet West Coast 6th Man of the Week: Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk

Sophomore Kelly Olynyk, a 7-0 reserve forward, averaged 13 minutes of action over three games for the Bulldogs. In a lopsided 83-55 win against Lafayette, Olynyk led the scoring for the Bulldogs with 15 points on 71% shooting. During a strong 73-52 win over Oklahoma State, he racked up 5 points and 7 rebounds. Finally, in a 73-63 win over Wake Forest, Olynyk put up 4 rebounds and 2 assists.

This is the second StatSheet West Coast 6th Man of the Week honor for Kelly Olynyk. Tim Diederichs, a junior forward from Loyola Marymount, is runner up. Marc Trasolini, a junior forward from Santa Clara, receives honorable mention.

Gonzaga players have not yet been named StatSheet West Coast Player of the Week this season.

http://zagsball.com/gonzaga-basketball/conf-potw/kelly-olynyk-wins-statsheet-west-coast-sixth-man-week-january-3rd-2011

primal23
01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Hmm, good for KO but not sold on the reasoning. But guess thats why I don't work in sports :cheers:

El Voce
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Good for "Andy"! He always works hard, and it's nice to see him get some props.

Hoopaholic
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
sweet silent assassin......getting more and more comfortable and it is showing

zagzilla
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
ummmmmm........OK. Thanks StatSheet!

Didn't know this award existed let alone that Kamloops Kelly apparently owned it this year.

Is KO even the 6th man for GU anymore? Keita, Moenninghoff or Arop (minus whichever one starts) probably first off Few's bench these days.

ZZ

ronh_pm
01-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Statsheet is a pretty awesome reference site. Stats junkies can get lost there for hours and I will generally find a post more meaningful when a post has a verifiable stat posted to illustrate a point rather than voicing an opinion loudly and often to make reader think it is indeed a fact.

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess.

Zagsker
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
sweet silent assassin......getting more and more comfortable and it is showing

really?

I think the guy has loads of potential...but he looks awfully uncomfortable with the ball and looks like he is playing with two left feet

ronh_pm
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
really?

I think the guy has loads of potential...but he looks awfully uncomfortable with the ball and looks like he is playing with two left feet

I guess sometimes when you are 1st on a team in FG%, 2nd in 3pt%, 3rd in rebounding and 4th in scoring all when you are 7th in minutes can make you feel a little "uncomfortable".

If you are sort of the shy Canadian type that is. Remember, we don't dance much up here.

gamagin
01-04-2011, 08:13 AM
from the looks on their faces, they can't wait to get their legs going the way we know they should be moving. And their arms in synch with those legs. And the balance required to stand on new legs versus the process of it all becoming automatic, second nature.

And it looks like it's going to be sooner than later. And it's fun to watch these determined, relentless pursuits of the human condition in both Cyrus & KO.

They seem [this] close, too !

And the smiles, in the meantime, tell you they KNOW they are [this] close.

Zag79
01-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I guess sometimes when you are 1st on a team in FG%, 2nd in 3pt%, 3rd in rebounding and 4th in scoring all when you are 7th in minutes can make you feel a little "uncomfortable".

If you are sort of the shy Canadian type that is. Remember, we don't dance much up here.

+1! i dont quite understand the questions regarding kelly either. all he needs is more PT and he COULD be our best scorer and rebounder, all the while needing the least amount of shots to do so. he has been our leading rebounder and leading scorer in a couple of games already, shot better than anyone else from the floor, all in limited minutes. i cant wait to see more of him when few is ready. i have my money on kelly being a beast by his junior season.

Hoopaholic
01-05-2011, 05:22 AM
I am looking for great things from him as well.......as he is one of my favorite players to watch on the court

this year one of the issues has been turnovers and defense...his plus minus shows he was only in plus vs SDSU (Only team member), EWU, Illinois(again only team member) WSU and Baylor. Most other games he is in DOUBLE figure minus which hurts the team, including the last 4 games ( minus 12 vs X, Minus 10 vs LAF, minus 27 vs OSU and minus 20 vs WFU)

He has the abilities to reduce those issues and I am confident he will, even before the end of this year and be a force to be rekon with

Zagsker
01-05-2011, 09:08 AM

look man, i am not saying the guy is a slouch...he has loads of potential....just saying he would be a much better player if he could chew bubblegum and walk at the sametime:D

zaguarxj
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I watched the Wake game again. There were a couple of really nice high-low passes from KO to Sacre down low. One didn't show up on the stat sheet because Sacre missed the bunny (and putback) but I was really impressed with his passing from the high post.

ZagsBall.com
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
If anyone is interested in how StatSheet crunches the numbers and comes up with award winners like these, feel free to contact me via PM.

I recently posted a message about ZagsBall.com ... but I guess the mods thought it was too "spammy" and took it down.

We have awards like this one, and are working out on building our own StatSeed (bracketology) using some of our algorithms.

We are anti :espn: ... we are about the Stats!