PDA

View Full Version : Radio broadcast from Wake POV

Birddog
01-03-2011, 05:19 AM
I hesitated to start a thread, but the others seemed out of place. I was going cross country yesterday and listened to the radio broadcast on satellite radio. Well, 3/4ths of the game anyway, it took nearly a 1/4th to find the right channel.

The crew of 2 was solid, but not really great. the PBP guy didn't adequately paint the picture and was late on a lot of calls. The banter between the two was good and amazingly, not over the top in Wake's favor. To their credit, they had all their pronunciations down pat except for the occasional "Gunzaga" which I don't find too offensive. It's the GunZAHGa that gets under my skin.

I picked up the broadcast after Sacre had been benched with 2 PF's. The broadcast team was going on about Keita avging just 2 pts a game as he dropped his 3rd for a 6 pt total. he caught them (and us I reckon) by surprise with his scoring.

They mentioned the mis match that our Harris kept getting with our offense.
They also mentioned that "E" was the guy ejected last year that led to their spurt and subsequent win, nothing else about the "incident".

They seemed pretty pleased that WF was as close as they were at the half and that they would have to keep the crowd in it to win.

As the Zags took control to open the 2nd, they said that WF had to find a solution for the Zags post game to win. They described Sacre's post play (moves) as "robotic" but very effective. I kinda chuckled at that comment.

Also mentioned was how fortunate WF was when Sacre missed a point blank lay-in and subsequent follow when Wake was in a mini recovery. In their words (roughly)," he left it on the iron twice, a guy that big should make that shot, WF was very fortunate".

The only foul they even mentioned controversially was late in the game when Gray (I think) picked up a charge. They said it was definitely a block. No other calls were singled out.

They were pretty high on Keita's play, maybe more so than usual because they didn't seem to know much about him other than his 2 PPG avg.

When Stockton re-entered the game in the 2nd half, they said WF would need to exploit the situation with some traps and physical play. No secrets there I guess.

They seemed to be realistic about WF's talent. they are a good free throw shooting team and they can sometimes hurt you with the three. I've kept my comments mainly on the GU perspective, but they were pretty critical of some of the WF shot selections and said Bezdelik was probably burning about some of them and their lack of focus on RB's.

It was kinda fun to hear a game from another POV, esp since the Zags won.
One thing that got my attention was an ad that they ran for a local "bar and grill" that gave something away free if you came in wearing your WF gear. I thought the Baptists discouraged frequenting such places. BTW, we've swept the major Baptist schools if you weren't paying attention.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-03-2011, 05:49 AM
I love catching the other team's home-town radio station.

Years ago, I was traveling through central New York a few days after the Casey Calvary/Matt Santangelo Zags elminated Louisville and St. Johns from the 2000 tourney. Somehow, I picked up a broadcase from an A.M. sports radio station in Kentucky. The Louisville fans were calling for the head of their long-time coach, Denny Crum. Quite a few of the fans called in to complain that their team, which was ranked in the Top-25, would have to play a team as good as Gonzaga in the opening round game. (It was a 7-10 matchup which the 10 seed Zags won handily). Several of the callers complained that the Selection Committee obviously didn't watch any basketball games or they'd know that Gonzaga was way too good to be a 10 seed. Almost none of the callers believed that Louisville should have won the game. They were just mad that they didn't get an easier opponent. Oddly enough, driving through New York State, I couldn't find any homer radio stations for St. Johns. Go figure.

NJZag
01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
I love catching the other team's home-town radio station.

Years ago, I was traveling through central New York a few days after the Casey Calvary/Matt Santangelo Zags elminated Louisville and St. Johns from the 2000 tourney. Somehow, I picked up a broadcase from an A.M. sports radio station in Kentucky. The Louisville fans were calling for the head of their long-time coach, Denny Crum. Quite a few of the fans called in to complain that their team, which was ranked in the Top-25, would have to play a team as good as Gonzaga in the opening round game. (It was a 7-10 matchup which the 10 seed Zags won handily). Several of the callers complained that the Selection Committee obviously didn't watch any basketball games or they'd know that Gonzaga was way too good to be a 10 seed. Almost none of the callers believed that Louisville should have won the game. They were just mad that they didn't get an easier opponent. Oddly enough, driving through New York State, I couldn't find any homer radio stations for St. Johns. Go figure.

Depends on how close you were to Manhattan, probably, since upstate has got Syracuse to be "biased" for. The NY CBS radio station used to carry regular season SJU games on the AM dial for a number of years, while "Mike and the Mad Dog" (WFAN) could be homeristic Johnnies (past tense) or generally homers about any team that was "more local" than its opponent ... I remember listening to a homer NY-metro radio broadcast of the '00 NCAA tourney GU-SJU matchup, while driving to get to a TV to watch the 2nd half.

rijman
01-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I wasn't thrilled with the tv broadcasters and obvious ACC tilt. One kept calling Olynyk "Andy" and after a Zag foul following a Zag freethrow the announcers went on and on about something without explaining why Wake was going to the line and who the foul was on. I think Wake was shooting a 2nd freethrow before they mentioned the Zag foul. However, it is nice to get an outside perspective of the Zag team and the announcers appeared to a lot of respect for the Zags based on their comments.