PDA

View Full Version : More is Revealed - EWU Firing

ZagNative
06-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Whoa. I figured there had to be something behind the untimely firing of Mike Burns from EWU.

From Today's Spokesman-Review (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=10142):

mproper payment cited
EWU gave Humphrey extra $6,000

Dave Trimmer
Staff writer
June 2, 2007
Related material

Eastern Washington University has forwarded an outside investigation into its men’s basketball program to the NCAA with proposed self-imposed sanctions that include the loss of one scholarship for two years.

The investigation was prompted when Denny Humphrey, a former volunteer coach who was paid to help in EWU summer basketball camps, was given a $6,000 increase in that pay after his son, Rhett, was taken off scholarship by recently fired coach Mike Burns last spring.

Humphrey believes the increased camp money, which he expected again this summer, was to cover the cost of his son’s lost scholarship. Burns insists Humphrey was merely compensated for past underpaid work and loyalty to the university.

The investigation by Spokane attorney Karen Harwood, obtained by The Spokesman-Review, found no “preponderance of evidence” to indicate wrongdoing by Burns. The report states that Burns “walked very close to the edge in this matter and exhibited poor judgment.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Because of that, among the six penalties Eastern Washington has proposed includes Humphrey repay $6,000, the basketball team reduce scholarships from 13 to 12 for the next two seasons and a full-time camp coordinator be hired.

But:

Westfall also reiterated that firing Burns on Wednesday with two years remaining on his $95,000-a-year contract had nothing to do with potential NCAA sanctions.

“The separation was due to the direction of the program, period,” he said.

gamagin
06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
and perhaps some bad feelings here, moreso than something criminal or even in violation of the ncaa, imo.

Humphries at first blush seems to have felt scorned by Burns because of his son. Burns' should have simply had humphries sign a contract for services rendered at camp and that would have been it.

Period.

I won't go into it here at GU, but let me say there are these similarities.

Beware who your real friends are and make damn sure you cover your arse.

One good bookkeeper or accountant keeping an eye on things could have avoided this.

but you know, when someone smells blood on you, or even thinks he sees it coming, well, all the sharks tend to turn on you and before you know it, theres a frenzy.

Zag79
06-04-2007, 02:02 AM
ive played alot of ball with rhett, and know the humphreys pretty well. good people, i hope it works out for them in the end but EWU should have known better. sounds fishy to me.

UberZagFan
06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
The investigation by Spokane attorney Karen Harwood, obtained by The Spokesman-Review, found no “preponderance of evidence” to indicate wrongdoing by Burns. The report states that Burns “walked very close to the edge in this matter and exhibited poor judgment.”

Karen Harwood, former GU Law professor.

zagmantis2001
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I had her for contracts.

UberZagFan
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I had her for contracts.

Uber too.

Zaglaw
06-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Zaglaw too. I would think she would have done a pretty meticulous investigation.

UberZagFan
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Zaglaw too. I would think she would have done a pretty meticulous investigation.

Really? Nah...I suspect there may have been one punctuation error...possibly one anyway.