PDA

View Full Version : another PG in the mix

BBskorer
06-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Lewis Jackson. Among '08 pg's, Rivals (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1619) rates him 25th (Clarke 11, Gibbs 13, Theodore 14). Stock apparently rising: link (http://www.news-gazette.com/blogs/basketblog/2007/06/02/illinois_shootout_notes_volume).

tyra
06-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Any interest in Lewis indicated by GU staff? Any interest in GU by Lewis?

BobZag
06-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Just a hunch, and I could be totally wrong, but I'd be surprised if an offer was made. I think this kid is behind Clarke, Gibbs, Theodore... But time will tell. The staff will try to get the one they feel is best, in talent and as a fit at GU. I believe it is Clarke, as of now.

RebornZag
06-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Why would a reporter say an offer was made twice in his article, if one wasn't offered? That confuses me, Bob. As you've said, BZ, maybe some of these guys are having a great year, and have made huge improvements in their games. After all, improving one's game is what it's all about I'd think...ie one should strive to "get better" every day. I think getting invited to the NBA camp sounds good to me. Is it? And I don't think Theodore got invited to that camp, and was kind of complaining about it.

One important consideration I think in recruiting, would be how badly does a recruit want to come to Gonzaga. I understand that GU has pursued other ballplayers in the past very intensely (as they are doing with some right now) and lost the battle of the recruiting wars. Therefore, I would think, that GU is always looking for other great players, some new to the scene, and would keep an open mind about their ability to help GU because it is very possible that none of the 3 guards who are always talked about here (Clarke, Theodore and now Gibbs) are interested in coming to Gonzaga. Of course Gonzaga will take the most gifted athlete and the one that will fit our situatiion the most. That's common sense. The question that remains foremost in my inexperienced mind when it comes to recruiting, is how does one "get" an athlete who's obviously "better" when their interest may be lower than others who are less talented. I guess that's what makes one person a better recruiter than others. The great coaches certainly seem to be great recruiters. This recruiting stuff really fascinates me...I think partially because I know so little about it, but there really must be an art behind it all.

RebornZag
06-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I just reviewed Jackson's bio on Scout. Kind of interesting because I reviewed it before...and liked what I saw back when I did (about a week ago). I was interested because my son's played for a school named Ike. He's only 5'9" which is pretty short, but then I thought of Porter (playing for Oregon) and QHall (a member of the '99 GU team). However, I noted that he did NOT list Gonzaga as a school of interest. Maybe his bio needs updating.

Angelo Roncalli
06-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Why would a reporter say an offer was made twice in his article, if one wasn't offered?

I'm not saying this what occurred here, but it is not an unknown phenomenon in the recruiting game for a PSA to say he's been offered by school when he hasn't. Resume padding, if you will.

BBskorer
06-11-2007, 11:25 PM
What? Resurrecting a thread from page 4? BOO!!! And by the same poster, no less? HISS!!!

The link at the top of the thread seems to suggest our interest in him. This one (http://www.wandtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6626830) (video report incl.) seems to suggest his interest in us. Not saying any of it means anything. They're just links. Chew on 'em only if you want to. :)

Zagdawg
06-12-2007, 06:31 AM
I'm with Angelo on the padding of potential sutors-- it looks better if you have more schools interested-- one recruits idea of an offer may be a coach coming to watch him play in a tourney-- and that may not always be accurate--

As far as a reporter mentioning it multiple times -- if you believed everything you read--- Big foot just married Sandra Bullock and the martians just landed in Salem Oregon-- according to what I was reading last night when standing in line to check out at Safeway--- You can't believe everything you read--

CDC84
06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1322558

NJZag
06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Letters expressing preliminary interest -- of which the coaching staff probably sends out dozens and dozens -- can also become fodder for a coach or PSA or others to claim there's been an offer. It's whatever the interviewee says to a reporter. Coaches need an LOI to talk about a PSA. Until then, there are only clues from what the PSA or his circle of coaches might say or random sightings of a coach at an event where a PSA is playing.

With the idea of doing something comparable to the scholarship chart, and for ease-of-reference in tracking players who might be getting watched (or who want Gonzaga to watch them ;) ) I started working up a list of PSA's for '08 using the criteria that there only needed to be ONE published source from among the three major outfits which now track prospects (Rivals, Scout, ESPN) showing that Gonzaga had the player on its radar -- or vice versa. There's nothing to stop a PSA from saying that he is interested in GU.

An "Other" category would cite other services or random local media from around the NW or elsewhere, as other players might mention GU interest (two-way street).

The list has dozens and dozens of names.

And then there's Gonzaga's actual recent history of outcomes. Someone like Ronny Turiaf appears out of nowhere. So does JP Batista. Years later, we find out that someone who went direct to the NBA out of Europe had had recruiting contact from GU. P-MAC is hardly a blip on our radars before he's actually signed.

Recruiting is a crazy game.

MickMick
06-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I work with the father of a promising high school sophmore in the state of Washington. After playing in the Boo Williams tournament in Louisville, the kid was getting letters from what seemed like the entire eastern seaboard. It was if the kid got on some kind of mailing list. Almost like the mailing lists that marketers buy from credit card companys. Once you play in an elite tournament, you get on somebody's database. At least that is the speculation of the kid's father.

BobZag
06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I work with the father of a promising high school sophmore in the state of Washington. After playing in the Boo Williams tournament in Louisville, the kid was getting letters from what seemed like the entire eastern seaboard. It was if the kid got on some kind of mailing list. Almost like the mailing lists that marketers buy from credit card companys. Once you play in an elite tournament, you get on somebody's database. At least that is the speculation of the kid's father.

I will be watching that kid who's father you know this Saturday in the Warehouse. A very good player from Ellensberg will also be on her team. :)