PDA

View Full Version : First half fouls

GUDan07
01-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Is anyone else scratching their heads on most of these foul calls in the first half? It seems like half of the fouls have had little or no contact whatsoever.

El Voce
01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
It really, really hurts us when we go from a game where almost nothing is called (OK State) to one where everything is called. Reffing inconsistentcy is a serious problem.

Therunner
01-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I thought the possession where Elias was whistled for a complete phantom foul followed by Keita getting hammered on a break-away dunk and NO call was a microcosm of this game.

Gray, Elias, Sacre, Meech = all w/ 2 fouls each :mad:

Of course our TO's aren't helping the cause, but these officials are just bad -- for the game of basketball.

Therunner
01-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Something doesn't quite add up---

Gonzaga shooting 54%

Wake shooting 32%

We're up only 1pt?!

I guess our 10 turnovers and 15 first-half fouls are the primary reasons.

ZagMania
01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
We have a bunch more points in the paint, while they've attempted almost double the amount of threes... and yet they have the free throw advantage.

Therunner
01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
most poorly officiated contest I've ever watched.

inconsistent, senseless, and random fouls -- for both squads.

Just a terrible job by the refs today.

WallaWallaZag
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
the 2nd half has been much better...

WallaWallaZag
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
ok...i take that last post back...call on sacre trying to post up is bs...

RockandRollJames
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
You are right. There have been a lot of inconsistent, phantom fouls. Both sides can complain.

ZagMania
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Gray's 4th really hurt us, and the only contact was the WF player's off elbow smacking him in the face. With Gray out our offense stalled. I'm not a fan of Stockton and Meech in at the same time. I'd rather replace one of them with Arop, not enough scoring with both of them in.

MickMick
01-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Zags needed to encounter and overcome/adjust to a little homerism. It is what good teams do and why the whines by OSU fans carry little weight with me. They didn't adjust.

It is invaluable experience for the team to face. Zag depth really shines in such situations as well.

gamagin
01-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Zags needed to encounter and overcome/adjust to a little homerism. It is what good teams do and why the whines by OSU fans carry little weight with me. They didn't adjust.

It is invaluable experience for the team to face. Zag depth really shines in such situations as well.

whatever doesn't kill us really does make us stronger. Once we made some (scoring) distance between ourselves & WF, the refs became insignificant. as they should be.

Hoopaholic
01-02-2011, 11:49 AM
good teams adjust and overcome
average teams dont adjust or overcome
poor teams whine and cry and do the same thing next game

we are becoming a GOOD team no matter what is thrown at us at this point of the season

UberZagFan
01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I guess our 10 turnovers and 15 first-half fouls are the primary reasons.

Yes, but 3 or 4 of those turnovers could easily have been called fouls on WF such as the time EH took it to the hoop was fouled by two different players and loses the ball out of bounds for TO. There were several of those types of plays in the first half.

john montana
01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Worst officiated game this year. Ty woods grabbed ko by the shoulders and pulled him out ot the way with twelve or so left...ref was 3 ft from them on the baseline and no calls it. Next time up the floor same ref calls a touch foul. Horrible job by those officials.

JPtheBeasta
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I thought the possession where Elias was whistled for a complete phantom foul followed by Keita getting hammered on a break-away dunk and NO call was a microcosm of this game.

Gray, Elias, Sacre, Meech = all w/ 2 fouls each :mad:

Of course our TO's aren't helping the cause, but these officials are just bad -- for the game of basketball.

The fouls I hate are the questionable offensive ones that turn the ball over. Don't know about the veracity some of those travel calls either...

JPtheBeasta
01-02-2011, 12:10 PM
The heart of the reffing issue to me is that, I think it is safe to make this generalization, people want to watch the kids play and do not get excited about watching a free throw contest. They also should want to see the best players on each side battle it out. So many of the fouls were ticky tack, and it makes me wonder how Duke gets away with such physical defense year in an year out in this league. I remember seeing the line for the ND game before I saw the game and thought there must have been a lot of home cooking, but it turned out that ND earned most of their FT's. In comparison, this game wasn't even close.

roxdoc
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
In the first half the refs just wouldn't let the two teams play. Maybe they thought there might be some lingering animosity from last year's EH ejection. Whatever the case, when the refs get in the way it has the effect of leveling the playing field with the superior team having a hard time getting into a rythm and asserting itself. Our guys were of a caliber that they toughed it out. Shows we are developing some GRIT!

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Gotta love Ed Hightower. Here some of photoshop pictures from Deadspin.
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__4/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-870728883-1234207413.jpg?ym1ahxADAhozEKOK
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20091117/129562.jpg
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__4/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-252162363-1234207209.jpg?ympXhxADYXziMQaj

bballbeachbum
01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Gotta love Ed Hightower. Here some of photoshop pictures from Deadspin.
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__4/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-870728883-1234207413.jpg?ym1ahxADAhozEKOK
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20091117/129562.jpg
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__4/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-252162363-1234207209.jpg?ympXhxADYXziMQaj

those are priceless

sittingon50
01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't say that Ed was the main offender today, however.

It was Steve Oglesby that seemed to blow the whistle the most. According to StatSheet that was his 1st ever NCAA game. Can that be right?

MJ777
01-02-2011, 04:26 PM
most poorly officiated contest I've ever watched.

inconsistent, senseless, and random fouls -- for both squads.

Just a terrible job by the refs today.

I am assuming you did not watch the Tourney game a few years back against Nevada when Turiaf picked up a foul every time he came within three feet of a Nevada player. :explode:

LynetteG
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't say that Ed was the main offender today, however.

It was Steve Oglesby that seemed to blow the whistle the most. According to StatSheet that was his 1st ever NCAA game. Can that be right?

I think it was his first game! *lucky us* /sarcasm

JPtheBeasta
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
he called FORTY-FOUR fouls!!!!!! Holy crap! and yes, I think it was his first game! *lucky us* /sarcasm

Maybe he negotiated the first ever commission based, pay-per-foul officiating contract

sittingon50
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM
The 44 fouls are what the whole crew called. Steve doesn't get credit for all of them!

The other 2 officials were Ed Hightower (as mentioned) & Rick Hartzell. Those were two of the three that officiated GU's NCAA game vs Florida in '99; Casey's tip-in.

(BTW, there were 41 fouls called in that game).

Birddog
01-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Hightower is a lightning rod ala Libbey. Google him up and you'll get all sorts of criticism. I think he's on Gottlieb's list of officials that suck. I know Doug used to really hate Libbey and called him "the worst", and IIRC, Hightower isn't far behind.

hondo
01-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I thought Libbey saw and called the games very well. He was widely disliked for maybe 2 reasons. He refused to be a homer and he seemed to have rabbit ears--got involved with a lot of stuff that he should have simply ignored. If my team was playing on the road I'd be happy to have him as a ref. I would however advise my players to limit their court talk and never make eye contact with him.

rijman
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I thought Sacre got hosed on a couple of calls and I didn't like the travel call against him first half in the lane when he was getting hacked and pushed. I hate when the ball handler gets mauled going to the bucket and is called for travelling, just a pet peeve of mine.

Was it Meech who got called for a hand check in the 2nd half then near the end of the game Gray is bringing the ball up court and collides with a defender who goes down and the ball rolls OB off Gray with no foul.

In the end the Zags were called for 6 more fouls and shot 5 fewer FT's than Wake, so not too bad.

Zag4Hire
01-03-2011, 09:20 AM
The inconsistency of the fouls being called was very poor but what bothered me were the insane amount of traveling/palming calls against GU while Wake's went unpunished. The best part was after the game was just about decided was the hard foul by the Wake player on Steven and both of them looked at the ref as he choked on his whistle. All I have to say is thankfully they weren't doing the Xavier game.

hondo
01-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Yes Gray had assaulted the defenders elbow with his chin. I had to replay that one several times--horrible call. Modern large screen HD TV with instant replay and slow motion lets us see things that the refs are sometimes guessing at in real time. I like what Dick Cartmell said last night. Words to the effect that if you don't see it don't call it. Pretty simple.

LynetteG
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
The 44 fouls are what the whole crew called. Steve doesn't get credit for all of them!

Yes, I know. I corrected it but apparently it got copy/pasted before I was able to do that!

JPtheBeasta
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
The inconsistency of the fouls being called was very poor but what bothered me were the insane amount of traveling/palming calls against GU while Wake's went unpunished.

It is a lot like holding in the NFL- it could be called on nearly every play. I don't know what the Zags did that was that much more egregious than Wake on those...

Birddog
01-04-2011, 03:46 AM
I don't know what the Zags did that was that much more egregious than Wake on those...
Just an example taken from my listening to the WF radio team. Stockton got called for shirt grabbing twice in 2 seconds. Since I didn't see the game, what do I know. I had to laugh when I heard the calls though. His old man has to teach him how to polish up that move before he puts it in play.

WallaWallaZag
01-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Just an example taken from my listening to the WF radio team. Stockton got called for shirt grabbing twice in 2 seconds. Since I didn't see the game, what do I know. I had to laugh when I heard the calls though. His old man has to teach him how to polish up that move before he puts it in play.

that was actually pretty funny on tv...it was on an inbounds play and wake was trying to take advantage of stockton by having their guy manhandle him under the basket...stockton tried to throw all his weight at the guy and the wake player just ran over him. i'm not even sure david was technically fouling the wake guy, but they probably could have called a third foul in that sequence if they wanted to...the refs decided to just ignore the action after two whistles in a row.

johno
01-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Funny that statsheet shows him as having reffed no games before or since the Wake Forest GU game. I think he was the guy who called so many questionable fouls. Seems suspicious....