PDA

View Full Version : How is there not a thread on Manny???

cggonzaga
01-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I thought Manny played great last night! Dominated the boards and was efficient on offense. Man I hope this means he's finally going to get the minutes he should've been getting all year. He is a difference maker!

MedZag
01-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Loved his game. Absolutely loved it.

ZagAddict
01-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Zags really need his talent on the court to compete on that next level. Arop is a difference maker on this team... he has talents that MM or Keita just don't have. He has the potential to impact a game from so many aspects: rebounding, defense, running the court, three point shooting, and driving to rim.

I love this lineup:

5 - Sacre
4 - Harris
3 - Arop
2 - Gray
1 - Meech

The bench is becoming one of GU's strengths with many options (MM, Keita, Olynck, Dower, Stockton, Carter), but the above starting lineup provides GU with the best offense/defense combination to play with elite teams.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Cheers to that! I thought about starting a Manny thread earlier, but the aspirin hadn't yet kicked in and I decided to nap on the couch instead. Anywho, Manny looked more focused and intense last night than I've ever seen him. The Zags pushed around one of the better rebounding teams in the nation last night, and Manny was a huge part of that. Manny has the potential to be a huge stat stuffer. Points, rebounds, steals, blocks. Finally starting to see what we all had hoped for from Manny this year.

TacomaZAG
01-01-2011, 02:39 PM
that lineup played great last night, and got a lot of minutes together. Also, Stockton (subbing for Meech) played a lot of minutes with those other 4 guys in the first half, with the same result.

I like that lineup a lot, Manny just complements those other 4 guys so well on both offense and defense. It looks like Coach is starting to tighten his rotation for conference play, and I like it.

Best performance of the year, by far. Loved Elias' energy and explosiveness, Rob is just a MAN underneath, and Steven seemed to be healed. Meech made a 3, and took a number of jumpers from the perimeter, plus what has been said earlier on Manny. Good looking rotation last night, with Stocks and KO off the bench. Much better on turnovers also, great all around game.

Gotta beat Wake tomorrow.........

Go ZAGS

JPtheBeasta
01-01-2011, 02:52 PM
...The bench is becoming one of GU's strengths with many options (MM, Keita, Olynck, Dower, Stockton, Carter), but the above starting lineup provides GU with the best offense/defense combination to play with elite teams.

When I was starting to feel "doomed" this year it was the bench that was getting to me. I thought we had starters that could run with anybody, but had serious doubts about the rest. It's great to see production out of these guys, and it is understandable that it has taking some time for them to get acclimated enough to contribute.

LynetteG
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I thought Manny played great last night! Dominated the boards and was efficient on offense. Man I hope this means he's finally going to get the minutes he should've been getting all year. He is a difference maker!

+10000

Manny looked awesome! If he brings it like that every game, oohlala, we are in for a treat!

BobZag
01-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Really like his game. Last year and this year. He has a Rodmanesque nose for rebounds, for his size.

When he becomes consistent and learns to pass out of the trees after grabbing a rebound under the hoop, he'll just be that much better.

DixieZag
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
The thing about Manny that I have noticed is he gets rebounds by seemingly thinking about the shot before it even goes up - he seems to sense that a shot is coming and then positions himself by the angle - incredible!

And yet that is not all. Manny helps his teamates get rebounds. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Manny block out his man and another guy, maybe tip the ball or not, but have an entire area clear for someone else to get the rebound. For every rebound he gets, I believe he gets another 5 a game to other Zags by having the whole area blocked out.

I wish he could have a 5 for 7 game from 3 point land and really get his confidence, when he is on it is such a soft shot.

RockandRollJames
01-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Great point! Mangisto is sooooo money. I love the passion and energy he plays with. He created a lot of scoring opportunities. I'm very confident with his 3-point shooting. It's huge to get rebounding like he does from the wing position. He moves the ball well and doesn't turn it over often.

He can be a very special player if he puts it together.

cscz28
01-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I think the problem is that Manny, Mathis M., Mathis K, Kelly etc. are all able to provide a big time boost coming off the bench but haven't shown any consistency when starting games. It'll be interesting to see if one of these guys is able to cement that fifth starting spot at the 3 position or if coach few will be able to continue finding the hot hand on a given night regardless of whether they started the game or not.

"It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it" ~ John Wooden

WeSayZed
01-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I think the problem is that Manny, Mathis M., Mathis K, Kelly etc. are all able to provide a big time boost coming off the bench but haven't shown any consistency when starting games. It'll be interesting to see if one of these guys is able to cement that fifth starting spot at the 3 position or if coach few will be able to continue finding the hot hand on a given night regardless of whether they started the game or not.

"It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it" ~ John Wooden
Kelly kind of got squeezed out of the starting lineup when we decided to move Harris back to PF to help get him back on track. Kellys also dealing with a the huge growth spurt hes had over the last year to two years, and that has changed him and his game, and given him a lot more things to learn and work though. Statistically, however, hes still doing very well. He has our best FG% at .582 and is second in 3P% at .500. On a per minute basis hes up with our top scorerers and is our best rebounder. Manny was inconsistent early on for unknown reasons, and Im not sure hes proved his consistency yet, but hes sure proved he can play. Hoff and Keita are rookies and on the rookie learning curve, as is Dower. Dowers minutes also got squeezed as well when Harris moved back to PF.