• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Not to play Devil's Advocate but...

Firstly, I am happy for Matt that he'll have a chance to represent his country and experience some culture in Serbia. Good for him. He earned it. I'm glad yet another Zag has the chance to do so.

But...

It is my opinion that these things hinder more than help a kid's game. A "team" is hastily put together by strange coaches and, as a result, players are asked to do different things than they ever did before. In short, it can mess a kid up. My proof?

Matt Santangelo did the World Games thing, returned to GU and had a lesser year than the year before.

Dan Dickau did the World Games thing, returned to GU and his shot was so screwed up he barely got it back in time for the season.

When Ronny Turiaf really wanted to improve he skipped the Euro National Championships (for France) for the first summer in years and stayed at GU where he could be coached and further familiarize himself with teammates old and new. I believe Few was quoted as being glad he stayed for a change.

Adam did the World Games or Pan-American thing (I forget) and returned with a pulled hamstring that hampered him for weeks.

PMAC went and represented Canada and, well, you saw what good it did him.

So while this is generally thought of as a great opportunity for Matt (and others before Matt), is it really?

Might it actually benefit Matt and Gonzaga if Matt stayed, started playing with Gray, Daye, Sacre, Ira and all the returnees in early July to perfect chemistry, instead of in September, just 6 weeks before real practice begins?

Food for thought. Your thoughts?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Matt has a rare opportunity-- I think this can go both ways-- positive and not as positive--

If he is going to do this-- I would prefer that he take advantage of this opportunity now-- rather than next year (for some reason I feel this coming year is going to be a melding year for our team and next year will be the one that they have their best year in a long time-- maybe I am underestimating the team for this year)--

Comment

I agree with you 100%, Bob. I've had those same concerns for Matt. However, there's a young talented wing coming into town named Daye, and I'm sure he's more than willing to take up the slack that Matt is creating. Matt going away to play with others will give Few a rationale to open the door for Daye. I think it was a HUGE mistake for Matt, and especially because he's only a Sophomore. You could see he needed a lot of work, and a lot of playing with his teammates in order to get tighter, in order to build chemistry.

I've been trying to figure out how Daye will earn his Playing Time next year. My guess is that coming to GU this summer and playing with the guys will help him a lot. SACRIFICE is certainly one of the three S's needed to make it to the elite 8 next year. I'm glad the incoming Zags are doing that. I think Ira Brown showing up in May will help him even more. I know one thing. If I were a Zag I would be doing everything I could to make a good impression on Coach Few....because in the end, it is Few who will influence what happens to these guys more than anyone else. For afterall, he decides who plays and how much.

Matt is very talented. I know that. But it takes a lot more than talent to accomplish what we're after. I'm really anxious to see the new guys coming in. And like you say Bob, Daye is going to be something else.

Comment

• madness
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Here's a thought

Is Matt going to be playing PG exclusively on the team? If so, it will give him a chance to work with different players, gauging speed and agility, allowing him to fine tune his passing. I see this as a positive thing, because he will be asked to play much more point this year with DRav gone.

If someone has the roster, could you please post it here?

Also, I could be wrong, but didn't Deron Williams play in this same tourney and take the leap above Dee Brown because of the experience?

I actually see a lot of Matt in Deron, his body type, athleticism, leadership, and shot. I think Matt is a better passer at this stage in his career, but nevertheless, good thread BZ!
        You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
        http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Matt will be fine. This is a different era. Kids play hundreds of organized games before they even get to college nowadays. He is conditioned to it.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by madness View Post
            If someone has the roster, could you please post it here?

Comment

Madness Posted, "Is Matt going to be playing PG exclusively on the team? If so, it will give him a chance to work with different players, gauging speed and agility, allowing him to fine tune his passing. I see this as a positive thing, because he will be asked to play much more point this year with DRav gone."

Drav played little PG last year. Pargo played point most of the year, and then Few began working Matt in more toward the end of the year. I believe that Matt, being a point guard, could see the passing lanes better from there. He is more natural there. I don't think he'll play point any more this year than last. As you know, Mark Few prefers what he calls combo guards, and he and Pargo are the combo guards. IMO that Matt will not get as many minutes as Pargo handling the offense. I think that next year, Pargo will be running this team.

Comment

• Zag 77
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Any playing experience at that level is worth it.

Leaving aside the honor of playing for your country, I would think that playing with and against some top-level athletes in international competition is worth it.

It is either that or play pickup games at GU with the same guys your are always with. I don't know if Sanatangelo, Dickau or Morrison really would look back and say that their experience was a mistake. Maybe they are the best judges of that. Plus, players can have a bad few weeks with their shot or other aspects of their play whether they play internationally or not.

Plus, it is an honor for the GU program to keep having guys play for the US team on a regular basis.

The only bad thing is playing in Serbia- Yuck !! Nasty folks there, and it is hardly one of those places where people dream of going for a vacation.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Actually, aside from the, uh, quasi-recent unpleasantness, Serbia is a nice place. Beautiful countryside. I lived about 50 miles from the border in Hungary for a couple of years.

I gotta agree with Zag 77 - aside from the chance of injury (which is real, but there's a similar chance playing pick-up games), I think the experience should help Bouldin. He'll get a chance to play with and against some great players. I'm not sure how such an experience would hurt his play. He'll still have the second part of the summer and the fall before practice starts to play with the rest of the team and work with the new guys.

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post

Might it actually benefit Matt and Gonzaga if Matt stayed, started playing with Gray, Daye, Sacre, Ira and all the returnees in early July to perfect chemistry, instead of in September, just 6 weeks before real practice begins?

Food for thought. Your thoughts?
                    (Emphasis added by RZ)

Given the international scope of hoops and GU's track record of finding off-shore talent, having a Zag participate in these international events should benefit the school from a recruiting exposure standpoint. There are multiple roads that can lead a player to Spokane; it seems to me GU has been pretty successful at finding players via diverse methods.

Recognition of Gonzaga's program due to the participation of players on select "all star" teams is a good thing.

JMO
                    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• ZagDaddy
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

There's more to life than what is good for Gonzaga and its basketball program. If playing on a national team this Summer somehow diminishes his game come Fall so be it. Being part of a team that represents your country is something most people will never be a part of. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity and experience to me that he would regret passing. He may not grow as a basketball player but he will grow as a person. Which is more important?

Comment

• GonzagaGurl08
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2007

I hope that Matt is aware of the experience of past Zags in a similar situation. If he isn't, I'm sure that someone will make sure he knows before he leaves. Ultimately it's Matt's decision. What we can do is support him whether he decides to go or stay. Selfishly, I kind of hope he goes just so that he can have a good experience. Hopefully he will stay injury free and grow as a player. I hope that all will happen. That's not asking too much is it??
                        " 'Damn! I made a lot of stupid – and you can quote me on this – stupid-ass plays. Man, that's gross. But at least we got the win.' " -Jeremy Pargo

Comment

• gamagin
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

to the devil's advocate . . .

what the devil do the top teams do in these cases ?

Him being the likes of coach K, billy D, and others, etc.

are there rules at those schools that determine what a kid does on his time off re: bkb ?

My guess is some need more playing time, others may need more weights, perhaps library time, calisthenics. whatever.

But I asked somewhere else on this site and never heard back. So I'll try again.

What are the rules ? Or are there any ?

these athletes these days could be playing in Europe in the fourth grade the way this game is taking off.

I may even be way behind in asking. I don't know.

All I can say is several years ago I ran into a young hotel clerk in Venice who asked me all about John Stockton and the Jazz when I checked in and wrote where I was from.
                          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Great responses by everyone. Well thought-out. That's what I was hoping for. Since Matt was invited (an honor in and of itself), I hope he excells in every way, makes the cut and shows the world how good he can be.

Nice going, guys. Thanks.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

No roster yet

Please note that they haven't chosen a roster yet. They have only invited a bunch of players to the trials. There will be cuts. Matt is not officially on the team yet, although, as I have been saying, I would be shocked if he doesn't make the team if he wishes to participate.

Comment

Working...
                              X