PDA

View Full Version : The flagrant foul last night

Reborn
12-23-2010, 08:31 AM
by Xavier's Jackson was one of the worst flagrant fouls I've seen, and way worse than the one by Harris last year against Wake Forest when he was ejected from the game. IMO, Jackson should have been kicked out of the game. And I was so proud of Arop for making a stand for Meech. That's two games in a row that our Zags have made a statement that we are NOT GOING TO BE PUSHED AROUND.

Boy is that Meech tough or what. Meech really showed me a lot last night, and any player that can take a hit like that and finish a game as strong as he did last night is A O K with me. Meech has his liabilities, but as he showed last night he has his strengths too. He's one tough dude. And we will need his toughness as we begin our march toward March Madness.

I was really glad to see him have the chance at the end of the game to put the game away at the foul line. He has overcome his difficulty at the foul line, and I hope he uses what he has learned to overcome his poor outside shooting. I'm really pulling for Meech. He had such a strong game last night down the stretch when it really counted. I'm glad that after taking that hit, that he had the opporunity to big a big factor in pulling out a victory last night.

Hoopaholic
12-23-2010, 08:35 AM
what it showed to me was "team love" something that we have not had in last few years to be honest....and that is SOMETHING that can carry teams thru difficult periods on the court.....

cjm720
12-23-2010, 08:37 AM
It would have been tough to restrain me, that's for sure. Dude deserved an ejection.

Gotta love the team love like Hoop pointed. Carter showed some nice leadership too.

Zagsker
12-23-2010, 08:37 AM
by Xavier's Jackson was one of the worst flagrant fouls I've seen, and way worse than the one by Harris last year against Wake Forest when he was ejected from the game. IMO, Jackson should have been kicked out of the game. And I was so proud of Arop for making a stand for Meech. That's two games in a row that our Zags have made a statement that we are NOT GOING TO BE PUSHED AROUND.

Boy is that Meech tough or what. Meech really showed me a lot last night, and any player that can take a hit like that and finish a game as strong as he did last night is A O K with me. Meech has his liabilities, but as he showed last night he has his strengths too. He's one tough dude. And we will need his toughness as we begin our march toward March Madness.

I was really glad to see him have the chance at the end of the game to put the game away at the foul line. He has overcome his difficulty at the foul line, and I hope he uses what he has learned to overcome his poor outside shooting. I'm really pulling for Meech. He had such a strong game last night down the stretch when it really counted. I'm glad that after taking that hit, that he had the opporunity to big a big factor in pulling out a victory last night.

no way....Harris, turned, found the guy and delivered a arm to upper chest blow

last nights was bad...but Harris's last year was pure "I am gonna git you sucka"

GoZags
12-23-2010, 08:49 AM

last nights was bad...but Harris's last year was pure "I am gonna git you sucka"

You seemed to have forgotten the part where dude flopped, making it look far worse. At least that's what he pretty much admitted after the game.

U Zig, I Zag
12-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Best play Carter made last night was restraining Meech. I am not being flip, either.

ronh_pm
12-23-2010, 08:54 AM

As opposed to Jackson's "I got you sucka"

Zagsker
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
As opposed to Jackson's "I got you sucka"

he was just giving him a "Merry Christmas" hug around the neck:cheers:

Reborn
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM

No way was the blow that Harris gave to the flopper from Wake Forest as wicked as the one delivered by Jackson last night. From my angle, and I watched the game over last night, and reran that play over several times, and I'd say that Jackson hit Meeh with about everything he had. The blow was delivered to the neck, and I was surprised that Meech obsorbed it as well as he did. I don't mind a hard foul. It's what players are taught to do. But there is a limiit to that kind of violence in the game.

Hoopaholic
12-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I thought it was one of the most violent, intentional fouls I have seen at the collegiate level in some time(and I watch WAY too much bball according to my loving wife)......matter of fact if that had occured at my work, I would have had one of my officers arrest him for felony assault

No way anyone can convince me he was "trying" for a block....watch it again I NEVER see anyone try to block a shot with a closed fist of which this kid had, secondly they are at the apex of their jumps respectively and his arm is clearly extending toward the head, the only reason in my opinion it hit Goodson in the neck was Goodsons movement of his head

He should have been ejected for that and it should have been a flagrant foul, not simply an intentional foul

NEC26
12-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I thought it was one of the most violent, intentional fouls I have seen at the collegiate level in some time(and I watch WAY too much bball according to my loving wife)......matter of fact if that had occured at my work, I would have had one of my officers arrest him for felony assault

No way anyone can convince me he was "trying" for a block....watch it again I NEVER see anyone try to block a shot with a closed fist of which this kid had, secondly they are at the apex of their jumps respectively and his arm is clearly extending toward the head, the only reason in my opinion it hit Goodson in the neck was Goodsons movement of his head

He should have been ejected for that and it should have been a flagrant foul, not simply an intentional foul
Agreed completely that foul was vicious and totally unnecessary.

Zagsker
12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
we see what we want to see

ZagNut08
12-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I also found it comical how the refs went to the video monitor at the end of the game to watch the contact between keita and the X player to determine if elbow contact above the head occured/should warrant an ejection. I guess if its the outside of the elbow its an issue, but if you use the inside of your elbow to clothesline someone in mid air its OK.

bballbeachbum
12-23-2010, 09:18 AM
without comparing it to E's from last year.......

last night's was an ejection...or let's all start fouling like

garbage coward ball, reminded me of what happens on the blacktop because there are no officials out there, just fists to make the call. he tried to cold #### him...weak.

Meech? Tough, and he served it up at the end in their freakin' faces, when it counted.

loved the TEAM response all around. Thanks for this thread, Reborn.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I was actually happy to see that the Zags kept their composure as much as they did. Other than the ridiculously flagrant foul itself, the one thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the indignant reaction of a couple of the Xavier players. Meech just took a wicked judo chop to the skull, how'd you exact the Zags to react??

coolhandzag
12-23-2010, 09:23 AM
A deliberate cheap shot. Nothing short of it. All I need to know about X.
He was probably just made because AMMO was so mean to him.

MDABE80
12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Doesn't mean much now but if you all will recall....the Wake Forest player is and was known for provocing trouble so he could get fouls called.
He did it to Elias and Elias was suckered into his response. The WF center was laughing about it.

Last night was different. Meech is up in the air flying high...and fast. Cold have broken his next or worse with that shot. He should have been ejected. Kinda like the Tenn player who destroyed Pargo a few years ago. OUT!! GET OUT!!

23dpg
12-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Doesn't mean much now but if you all will recall....the Wake Forest player is and was known for provocing trouble so he could get fouls called.
He did it to Elias and Elias was suckered into his response. The WF center was laughing about it.

Last night was different. Meech is up in the air flying high...and fast. Cold have broken his next or worse with that shot. He should have been ejected. Kinda like the Tenn player who destroyed Pargo a few years ago. OUT!! GET OUT!!

I think that was the Georgia game.

BobZag
12-23-2010, 10:09 AM
The Georgia player who slammed Pargo on his back in the arena was the worse I can recall. Pargo couldn't play for a while after that. Anyway, it's a part of every sport--football, basketball, baseball, soccer...

MDABE80
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Fine..Gerogia........UConn.....UW..whatever....cou lda been UW when Dentmon deliberately upending Ravio when he was up in the air and ruining his back for the season.. Flagrant and intentional. OUT!! GET OUT!!

Zagnailler
12-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm with you Abe, fouls like the ones cited should lead to ejections. Elias deserved his, and Jackson should have gotten his. That said, the Zags had the best reaction, punish them with your play and you will be vindicated.

tobizag
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Grey did the exact same thing to Jordan Page in the WCC tourney final in Vegas, it was just more obvious in yesterdays game.

And before you say Grey's wasnt bad at all, Page missed the NCAA tournament, had minor knee surgery in the offseason because of his fall and will likely end up redshirting this year because his knee hasnt recovered.

Just be glad Meech wasnt hurt and move on :p

just my two cents: watching the few videos of steven gray fouling page in the wcc last year, gray was in position to block the ball and made a clean basketball swipe to block it...from the top down. yes, he smacked him. and page fell hard. but, the difference between that and last night imo is the direction of the swipe. reaching around a guys neck and swiping sideways is hardly a good way to block a shot...especially when the shooter is 4 inches shorter than you and you're behind him on the break. in that case, you just have to shadow him and swat him clean from behind. i can't find video of that reply, but i remember thinking last night that it didn't seem to be a very legit basketball play.

DZ
12-23-2010, 11:52 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous to use the results of Gray's foul as indicative of a worse intentional foul. Ok it messed his knee up, but that can happen without a foul at all, just landing on someone's foot. The intentional tackle of Meech (which is all I saw b/c I was at that end of the arena but on the other side) could EASILY - maybe more often than not - could have lead to a serious concussion or a broken arm or a torn ACL. . . . we are simply fortunate that Meech landed just right so as to not injure himself more seriously.

Loved the team's response and it is plays like that, wins like that, contributions from the bench like that - that lead to better team cohesiveness, love and respect.

MDABE80
12-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Go look...he went after Meech's head. Not the ball. I don't think a block of the ball was in Jackson's thoughts. Video always helps. Sure the ball went flyin..deliberate (as it gets with a college brain)shot to the head. I still say he would have been tossed.

DZ
12-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I hope that you are not responding to my post MDABE80 b/c I thought the flagrant tackle was horrible enough, I was just admitting that I have not seen the replay. My main point was that Meech was LUCKY to not be seriously injured.