X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Voce
    • Apr 2024

What a pleasure!

What a pleasure it is, from my perch across the way from the Gonzaga bench, to watch this young team gel and come together. I don't know if you could tell on TV, but this game (like the Baylor game before it) was played at a very high intensity level.

Sure, it was sloppy at times, and there are still too many turnovers, but our Zags are showing up for the whole 40 minutes. Last week, Carter and KO came through off the bench, and tonight Keita came out of nowhere to provide a huge lift.

This team truly plays with an one-for-all mentality. No one pouts on the bench; this team is there to support each other. So much for the theory espoused on this board a couple weeks ago by the so-called "realists" that Few had lost this team. What a bunch of hooey!

I am looking forward to next week. Lafayette should provide a nice tuneup for the New Years Eve battle against Oklahoma State. Go Zags!
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

+1

we've got a bunch of very interesting role players seemingly settling into their roles. And it is fun to watch.

I am particularly thrilled to watch RS take on the role of leader apparent. And showing confidence, positioning and soft hands --none of which seemed possible or probable at times.

EH & SG should get some deserved healing time and the nine who played v. Xavier got some p.t. and continued to learn.

All in all, a fine show before everyone takes a welcome Christmas break.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• TheBunnieRancher
      Kennel Club Material
      • Oct 2007

I was reading up on Xavier before this game and found out they were 8-5 last year before they went on a run and almost ended up in the elite 8. This team is beginning to look like they may not lose more than 1 or 2 more games before the tournament. I think the team is too young to pull it off but what if they real off a run like Davidson a few years ago and win 24 in a row leading into the NCAA tourney (28-5). All of a sudden their record mirrors some of the lofty predictions we made before the season began. Not the way anyone would have expected but up there just the same. I still wouldn't be surprised by a 10+ loss season but now I'm beginning to think there is hope for a Typical GU 25+ wind season as well.

Comment

• 2wiceright
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
        we've got a bunch of very interesting role players seemingly settling into their roles. And it is fun to watch.

I am particularly thrilled to watch RS take on the role of leader apparent. And showing confidence, positioning and soft hands --none of which seemed possible or probable at times.

EH & SG should get some deserved healing time and the nine who played v. Xavier got some p.t. and continued to learn.

All in all, a fine show before everyone takes a welcome Christmas break.
        I think Elias needs more healing than most think (IMHO). You couldn't tell from watching the game but he still ended up with a Double-Double 13 points and 11 rebounds. That is good by any normal measure, but the E. Harris that I am used to would have buried this team on a good night last year and at least scored into the mid twenties, with more rebounds as well. I don't think it's "weight gain" (shape) as some suspect as much as he looks go me to be playing at about 60 percent.

Like you said Gam, Elias and Steven deserve some good down time to heal up!
        "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
        -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

spot on

Originally posted by 2wiceright View Post
          I don't think it's "weight gain" (shape) as some suspect as much as he looks go me to be playing at about 60 percent.
          the only place I've read EH has a weight problem is on this board. game shape, as you point out, is another matter. And he clearly has a couple of cylinders misfiring. and he's just as clearly not happy about it from what I saw v. X.
          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
            Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
            • Feb 2007

You're so right, it's amazing to see this team finally start to come together. I think they can be very dangerous if we can find a way to cut back on the Turnovers.
            Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Bravo

Originally posted by El Voce View Post
              What a pleasure it is, from my perch across the way from the Gonzaga bench, to watch this young team gel and come together. I don't know if you could tell on TV, but this game (like the Baylor game before it) was played at a very high intensity level.

Sure, it was sloppy at times, and there are still too many turnovers, but our Zags are showing up for the whole 40 minutes. Last week, Carter and KO came through off the bench, and tonight Keita came out of nowhere to provide a huge lift.

This team truly plays with an one-for-all mentality. No one pouts on the bench; this team is there to support each other. So much for the theory espoused on this board a couple weeks ago by the so-called "realists" that Few had lost this team. What a bunch of hooey!

I am looking forward to next week. Lafayette should provide a nice tuneup for the New Years Eve battle against Oklahoma State. Go Zags!
              Agree completely. Nicely done.
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for a great thread El Voce. You pretty much voiced my sentiments too. I do have a wonderful feeling inside me right now about everything this team has done over the last week or two.
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• cjm720
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                  the only place I've read EH has a weight problem is on this board. game shape, as you point out, is another matter. And he clearly has a couple of cylinders misfiring. and he's just as clearly not happy about it from what I saw v. X.
                  He didn't have man boobs last year. Harris can be a huge difference maker and he's not close to game shape...yet he still put up a double double and we won. I can hope for an improvement.

Overall, it's great to see the team gel a bit more and have some of the bench warmers come out and shine.
                  Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Oregon Zag
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

I about had a heart attack when E ended up on the floor holding his leg. He definitely is not 100 per cent healed yet.
                    Oregon Zag

Comment

• jim77
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

E is getting there...his endurance is much better. He also made a VERY quick spin move in the 2nd half for 2 and a foul.....he looked pretty quick on that one. I agree with the "VOICE". It is nice to see all the fellas step up and contribute...its really fun to watch.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by jim77 View Post
                        E is getting there...his endurance is much better. He also made a VERY quick spin move in the 2nd half for 2 and a foul.....he looked pretty quick on that one. I agree with the "VOICE". It is nice to see all the fellas step up and contribute...its really fun to watch.
                        +1. I am enjoying the process, too. was so happy to see the quick spin, can't remember seeing that from him yet this season, so I hope it reveals a healthier man, and E is a man on the floor

Comment

Working...
                        X