PDA

View Full Version : Good article about Carter

RRZagFan
12-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Good story by Blanchette in Spokesman today about Carter.How against Baylor,we saw a glimpse of why we recruited him.A couple good parts of the article is how he watched the Decade of Excellence on the plane ride to Dallas.Also that he had stood up at team meeting and told everybody he would do better in future.

FuManShoes
12-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/dec/22/gonzaga-fans-catch-glimpse-of-carters-capability/

No one seems more determined to avoid it as Carter, who among the Zags’ 2010 recruits was expected to make the most immediate impact but until Saturday had looked more like a lost soul. He was playing just 11 minutes and scoring less than 3 points a game, much of it in the wipeout stages against overmatched opponents. Then he got up at a team meeting and spoke about his damaged confidence, promised better – and turned in a steady, 13-point effort in relief of Gray.

U Zig, I Zag
12-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Then he got up at a team meeting and spoke about his damaged confidence, promised better – and turned in a steady, 13-point effort in relief of Gray.

Atta boy. Keep talking, kids.

malmer7
12-22-2010, 07:31 AM
unfortunately, carter really hasn't shown us anything to get excited about this year except the second half of that baylor game (this, we all know). but confidence is a funny thing - let's hope he gets rolling just in time for conference play, sure would be nice to have an additional outside threat...

primal23
12-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Good going Carter! He stepped up when this team needed him the most, and was brilliant in the 2nd half against Baylor! Keep going Cater!!

GoZags
12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
unfortunately, carter really hasn't shown us anything to get excited about this year except the second half of that baylor game (this, we all know). but confidence is a funny thing - let's hope he gets rolling just in time for conference play, sure would be nice to have an additional outside threat...

Actually after Steven stubbed his toe against Lewis and Clark State -- Carter saw significant minutes and the confidence started to grow from there.

There's something to be said about the timing of that LC State game -- I believe it was fortuitous on multiple levels.

TacomaZAG
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
He's been a gem in Spokane for decades.

With respect to Carter, he needs more minutes, a lot more minutes. It is impossible to judge him on his body of work this year, because the sample size is way too small. Regarding his confidence, it really is a funny thing, and is an extension of the coaches confidence in you. What I mean there is, if he is kept on a short leash (like all year except for the Baylor game) his confidence is going to take a long time to get there, if it ever does (his brother and his relationship with Kelvin Sampson is a good example). Give him the minutes, and a long leash, and let's see what he can do. Starting tonight...........

Go ZAGS

gamagin
12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Blanchette is a treasure.

tyra
12-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Seems like forever that the more knowledgable posters have been saying it takes a half a year for a Juco to adjust to D1. Because we have high expectations (which we mostly talk ourselves into), and because there are exceptions to this "rule", and because we just WANT transfers to be immediate impact players, we tend to forget this. Carter could very well be on schedule. We just don't know yet. Until then, cut him some slack. In the meantime, great contribution v. Baylor!

FuManShoes
12-22-2010, 09:03 AM
unfortunately, carter really hasn't shown us anything to get excited about this year except the second half of that baylor game (this, we all know).

Pretty sure that's the point: Carter hadn't delivered yet. He knew it, the coaches knew it, fans knew it. Apparently the only ones who didn't know it were pals back home telling him he should be playing more regardless of his struggles. Nice to see maturity and self awareness on Carter's part and I hope he builds on the newfound confidence.

ZagNative
12-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Yup, We're lucky to have Blanchette in Spokane.

This thread needs a pic, from the LCSU game.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TRJBNFPH6LI/AAAAAAABOQw/yhRvoYUditc/2010-12-16%20Marquise%20Carter%20LCSU.jpg

Have a great game tonight, Marquise.

DixieZag
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Very mature self awareness on Carter's part. When I was that young, I think I might have had a hard time fighting the urge to look outward for an explanation. That the statement in the meeting came from within probably led to the team making an effort to ensure that he knew they believed in him. I think the most important component of the win in Dallas, besides the win itself was the obvious bonding of the team, having fun together, defeating a tough team together, cheering and supporting everyone playing and believing in each other.

That is why I am not that worried about a down game tonight, I suspect the team has been dying to get back on the court and continue their new found confidence and it could not come at a better time.

jim77
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Tonight will be a HUGE test for Carter. There aren't many teams that can pressure the guards like Xavier. It'll be a pretty good test for him.....I also think Marquise helps Demetri's game too because he knows Meech's game. I think this game is decided by our guards.....not by scoring but, by not coughing it up......and getting it inside to our bigs.