PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought

El Voce
12-19-2010, 02:28 PM
My seat for Zag home games is across the court from the Gonzaga bench. As I watched last week's dismantling of LC State, watching the smiles and laughs from these previously stressed out players, the thought struck me that Zags had embarked on a "new" season.

What a great stroke of scheduling that game turned out to be! Finals over, finally an easy opponent: you could just feel the stress leaving this team. And then, of course, the Zags overcame great odds on the road to beat the number 9 team in the country.

The road ahead is still formidable, and nothing is guaranteed. But watching this team yesterday, no one can doubt that this group (players and coaches both) has come together and bonded like past great Zag teams. This team may still lose some games, but there will be no more effort or hustle questions concerning this team.

HRZag
12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
A terrific and succinct observation. Thank you for the comforting words.

The smiles on their faces at the end of the game were really fun to watch.

DixieZag
12-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I felt the same way yesterday. It was how I described it as a Zag win. You could see the look in Harris' eyes when he was cheering for Carter, arms locked with Manny. Stockton "manning up" after Kelly hit the big three, it was palpable that this team instantly loved each other, no need to question or point fingers, only share the joy of overcoming adversity together.

Really really hope that it travels home, I know the bond will, I hope that the shooting, passing and driving confidence will also.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Saw it too. I've said what I've needed to say about the team this year. So, like the team, I've taken a step forward, and am ready to enjoy the rest of the season win or lose.

rijman
12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I agree that an easy win can spark confidence. Winning can create confidence no matter who you play. As a collegiate golfer in the 1980's I remember reading about the Houston golf coach, who had the top team in the nation including Freddie Couples, who would take players in a slump and have them play from the ladies tees in practice to build their confidence. The theory is you remember the good results, which builds confidence, even if the course was shortened. The Zags played from the "ladies tees" against Lewis-Clark then broke a 9 game losing streak to ranked teams the next game, so maybe there is something to this theory of building confidence.

gamagin
12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Saw it too. I've sad what I've needed to say about the team this year. So, like the team, I've taken a step forward, and am ready to enjoy the rest of the season win or lose.

good post and good point. thanks.

Zag79
12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
My seat for Zag home games is across the court from the Gonzaga bench. As I watched last week's dismantling of LC State, watching the smiles and laughs from these previously stressed out players, the thought struck me that Zags had embarked on a "new" season.

What a great stroke of scheduling that game turned out to be! Finals over, finally an easy opponent: you could just feel the stress leaving this team. And then, of course, the Zags overcame great odds on the road to beat the number 9 team in the country.

The road ahead is still formidable, and nothing is guaranteed. But watching this team yesterday, no one can doubt that this group (players and coaches both) has come together and bonded like past great Zag teams. This team may still lose some games, but there will be no more effort or hustle questions concerning this team.

fantastic post, you hit the nail on the head. i think that was my favorite part about the lc-s game was how much fun the players had. this team has shown me much more than some would gather from a team with 5 losses. its going to be a great season and yes, sitting across from the teams bench all season has its perks! :D

cjm720
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Sweet post, thanks for sharing...nothing like a W or two to make things easier.

Go Zags!!!