PDA

View Full Version : To big rob

izzjess
12-18-2010, 08:44 PM
for the many improvements i saw tonight..
--his good i mean great D....
--i was pleasantly surprised to see rob head faking and going into the basket and not always just fading out with some hook shoot...
--also did you guys notice him passing it out when the double team came ...he did this over and over again, and because of that, we didnt have any of the ty ups or jump balls that usually come from him not kicking it out.....he looked more like a true center tonight...

i say amen big ROB

Reborn
12-18-2010, 08:54 PM
In another thread i called Rob a point center. His passing tonight was some of the best passing from a center since the guy form Oregon who played at UCLA. I think we are really beginning to see coach Daniels imprint on the Zags. He works with the Bigs. Rob really played a heady game, and his leadership was really evident tonight. Rob is really improving week to week. It's good to see from him. Now if Harris can do the same we'll be rockin and rollin.

WallaWallaZag
12-18-2010, 08:56 PM
i agree...props to sacre today, especially on the kick-outs...but i do have to point out that baylor didn't put a lot of pressure on him compared to some of the other teams. on several occassions rob had time to look around and decide what to do without a double team. i think baylor and any team that decides to play sacre straight up will find they are asking for trouble. rob is improving but still struggles when he is really harassed by guards doubling down hard and fast.

baylor's zone for some reason also seemed easier for our guards to post feed compared to some other defensive schemes faced this year...i hope it's because our offensive execution is getting better, but i'm not sure that was the case today.

roxdoc
12-18-2010, 09:18 PM
If Carter's shot continues maybe we won't see many guards doubling down on Rob. I agree with Reborn - I see coach Daniels guidence in this marked improvement for Big Rob. Great to see Rob being a tough guy down low.

RockandRollJames
12-18-2010, 09:27 PM
He's our best player right now. I never understood the bashing he got earlier this year.

He hasn't been turning it over like earlier. He can knock down FTs and is our most consistent scoring option.

Nevtelen
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Pure. Cash. Money.

Rob is our best player right now. Remember how Baylor manhandled SMC in the NCAAs last season? Especially Samhan, who'd been amazing up to then. The Bears still have that length and athleticism that they had then. The whole team stepped up, but Rob carried this game for us. Baylor didn't have nearly as good a collapsing D as some other teams have had on him (like WSU), but Rob dealt very well with what they threw at him and led this team to the W, despite foul trouble (BTW, on that topic I'd like to go on the record saying that the reffing was pretty good, actually. Whatever you think about the fouls called, it was fairly consistent for both sides).

Horned Frog
12-18-2010, 11:23 PM
The most noticeable improvement this year (from anyone) is Rob's free throw shooting!

MedZag
12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
He's finally keeping the ball up high!

Catch up high, pivot, shot or quick-step to the hoop. It was classic low post game and I loved seeing it from Rob tonight. He absolutely owned the paint for stretches. Still needs to work on positioning for rebounding, but he was all hustle and heart tonight.

MDABE80
12-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Elias needs to get his nose in the key to help out. Sacre did quite a lot of his work by himself. He just wouldn't get beat/. Amazing showing today. Now he spreads with wings...not narrow at the elbows, he's getting a much beeter feel for where the ball should be and he goes straight up. FT's are amazingly improved. He'll be strong the rest of the season. Seems to be the new leader.

Go Straight up Big Fella!!!

MickMick
12-19-2010, 01:14 AM
The most noticeable improvement this year (from anyone) is Rob's free throw shooting!

This is huge. It makes the post feeds worth the risk.

It was absolutely the best I have seen him play. The light bulb came on for Rob.
It did for a lot of players, but Rob especially.

All of the things we were clamoring for him to do, he did exceedingly well.

He played great defense.
He stayed in the game down the stretch with four fouls.
He passed out of the post for assists.
He put the Baylor bigs in foul trouble.
He was money from the free throw line.
He called for the ball and immediately made good decisions once he received it.
He, alone, changed how Baylor played defense which opened things up for other players.

Outstanding game against a highly regarded team. Rob may have finally turned the corner and if he has, we can point back to this game as to when it really began. It always takes big men time to develop, but once they do, you have a very valuable commodity. I see it a couple more times and I will declare that Rob has officially arrived.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-19-2010, 03:25 AM
There was no question that this was a huge game for Sacre. He played very well on offense - shouldering much of the burden for losing Gray, but I really believe that his biggest contributions were from his leadership.

I was really impressed with just how vocal he was, especially on defense, and how hard he worked to make sure those bench players were in the right positions. The defense looked a lot better with far fewer missed assignments in this game than in the earlier games I've seen. He looked like he knew exactly what the whole defense was supposed to do at every moment and made sure that Dower and Arop, especially, were following the correct assignments. He hasn't shown that kind of leadership, before. Perhaps he felt the need to take on more of that leaderhip burden in Gray's absence. In any event, it is a very positive development.

jazzdelmar
12-19-2010, 05:52 AM
sacre's been the zags ' mvp. steadiest player. more and more playing within himself and to his strengths. never be a kevin love but a very nice college pivot. good win but baylor was awful. thank god we done have a lace dunn in our program. hoodlum. classy move by baylor coach to not foul w few seconds left. but hes got some work to do. few's hands were tied w losing so many key players and maybe that helped. sometimes thinking is counterproductive. i wont say anything about meechs 7 plus turnovers, its a win.....:)

ZagHouse
12-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Then why did you??? I've been waiting for a head fake from Rob and an up an under move and finally got one. Rob has been a stud since Notre Dame. Maybe the pundits will be proved right (by the end of the season anyway) that we have one of the best front courts in the country. Add Dower to the mix--he missed quite a few that rimmed out, and Kelly hitting from the outside, and I'm feeling a lot better than I was two weeks ago.

gu03alum
12-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Great thread. Rob has improved greatly this season. Keep up the good work.

Reborn
12-19-2010, 08:20 AM
And maybe the team had to fail the way they did so they could become humble enough to listen to Few. Few did seem to let them go down. It has become obvious that the team is getting the ball into the post now, even Harris is making passes to Rob, and some good ones. The passing into the low post has definitely improved, and one thing about Carter is that he has always been a good passer and has not had many turnovers. Meech has also really improved with his ability to get the ball to Rob from the top of the key. He's got lots of improvement, but he's also heading in the right direction.

Birddog
12-19-2010, 10:38 AM
That was probably Rob's best all around game ever. He was studly out there, and was a vocal leader.

Dower was unlucky on several really good shots. If a couple of those had fallen, the score would not have been nearly as close

Kelly played well too. I've been trying to assign a word to describe it, and the best thing I can come up with is "abandon". He just looked a little looser and more comfortable, except for his dribbling of course.

DADoZAG
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, what a surprise.

Go ZAGS!

GUDan07
12-19-2010, 12:12 PM
He's finally keeping the ball up high!

Catch up high, pivot, shot or quick-step to the hoop. It was classic low post game and I loved seeing it from Rob tonight. He absolutely owned the paint for stretches. Still needs to work on positioning for rebounding, but he was all hustle and heart tonight.

Biggest improvement in my opinion. In the past he's had an infuriating habit of catching the ball and bringing it down where guards can get their hands on it. He did a great job of keeping the ball high and going straight to the hole.

gamagin
12-19-2010, 12:35 PM
afterall.

They Can play. They CAN show more than one predictable move per player and CAN form a winning mindset. Our bench CAN rise to an occasion. They CAN pick up the pace and they CAN play TOGETHER. The University CAN stay in business. We CAN put away the hemlock. Life as we know it, Can continue. We CAN celebrate the reprieve from certain doom. We CAN savor it.

UNTIL.

Until 8 p.m. Dec. 22 when these no-talent stooges damn well better kick the hind ends off Xavier, or ELSE ! !

Or else what ?

See first paragraph above and substitute CAN'T for CAN.