PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Legs Carter!

RockandRollJames
12-18-2010, 03:44 PM
It was Marquise "Crazy Legs" Carter's coming out game. He can be our best PG by making open shots, not turning it over, playing smart basketball, and most importantly being money from the stripe. I saw some ability to drive and he can make some really nice passes. He's earned a spot in the starting lineup for next game. He's really getting comfortable out there. He deserves a lot of credit for this win.

RenoZag
12-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Huge monkey off the back of a young team in need of a confidence boosting win.

GUZag08
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Crazy Legs is the man!

EricTheClown
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
hopefully this is the confidence he needs going forward. sacre really stepped up as well. huge win!!!

Mantua
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
He didn't try any risky dribbling on those inbound catches. Very smart. Great breakthrough game!

cjm720
12-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Clutch and brought a calm to the offense...great game!!!

wazZag
12-18-2010, 04:09 PM
He looked great. Huge confidence builder. The threes and fts were great, but him driving a bit got me excited about his future. I also liked that few wanted him to be "the man" on the foul-ft situations.

fedwayzag
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Definitely a break out game for Carter. He looked extremely good. Seems like he has progressed every game and it was LLoyd who said it takes about 10 games. If we get similar contributions from Carter the rest of the season, we will be very tough to beat. Congrats Marquise

BobZag
12-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm very happy for Marquise. Without Steven, the team needed him and he responded. Just very happy for him.

Zagsker
12-18-2010, 05:34 PM
it is a good thing to see....Carter is slowly finding his groove and it is going to help us immensely the more "seasoned" he gets as we go on. The 3 he hit was the first time you could actually see he was shooting with confidence...up to that point you could always see the hesitation/indecision when he would take an outside shot

TheBunnieRancher
12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
I would expect that we will still see inconsistent production from him yet this month, but this game makes me believe that he will put it together this year and probably have a good WCC season.

CDC84
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I felt he made tremendous strides in the Notre Dame game. He's carried that momentum forward. 3 straight solid games from Marquise.

U Zig, I Zag
12-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I think Few keeping him in at the end, letting him take the FT's was a huge confidence boost.

I want to see better assists plus more of them and a little more rotation on that jump shot. One of his little runners will fall sooner than later and that will help too.

He most def looking better.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Funny on how things change. Where are the posters with all the negative superlatives about Marquise's abilities now?

U Zig, I Zag
12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Funny on how things change. Where are the posters with all the negative superlatives about Marquise's abilities now?

I am sorry, but your question makes no sense.

He has played poor (as has the team) but today seems to have (hopefully) turned the corner. That's what people are talking about.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I am sorry, but your question makes no sense.

He has played poor (as has the team) but today seems to have (hopefully) turned the corner. That's what people are talking about.

I am sorry, but your comment makes no sense. To clarify my original comment, I was calling out posters who, earlier this season, went beyond mere critiques and made exagerated or overstated assertions about MC's game. Sure, he had a rough start, but that doesn't mean he can't play.

U Zig, I Zag
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I am sorry, but your comment makes no sense. To clarify my original comment, I was calling out posters who, earlier this season, went beyond mere critiques and made exagerated or overstated assertions about MC's game. Sure, he had a rough start, but that doesn't mean he can't play.

You missed my point - the people talking negatively about Carter (and the team as a whole) are just looking for better playing and wins. We got both. That's what they are talking about.

What do you want from your question?

HOOTER
12-18-2010, 06:27 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of comments like this. I have no problem with people who call it as they see it. If a player is performing poorly, it's perfectly acceptable to point it out and discuss it. When a player is doing well, it's also alright to give him props. As long as it doesn't cross the line and become rude or disrespectful, it's okay to discuss how a player is performing, positive or negative.

BTW, I'm very happy for Carter. Well done Young man!

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-18-2010, 06:30 PM
It was rhetorical.

U Zig, I Zag
12-18-2010, 06:33 PM
It was rhetorical.

I gathered that, but the answer is a real one.

ZagLawGrad
12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of comments like this. I have no problem with people who call it as they see it. If a player is performing poorly, it's perfectly acceptable to point it out and discuss it. When a player is doing well, it's also alright to give him props. As long as it doesn't cross the line and become rude or disrespectful, it's okay to discuss how a player is performing, positive or negative.

BTW, I'm very happy for Carter. Well done Young man!

Carter showed some signs. Good for him. Let's hope this game marks a turning point for him. No doubt it could be a confidence builder.

U Zig, I Zag
12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Carter showed some signs. Good for him. Let's hope this game marks a turning point for him. No doubt it could be a confidence builder.
It should be huge for Carter, this game. (fingers crossed).

Zagnificent
12-18-2010, 08:19 PM
I was screaming at my TV, "PUT IN AROP, DUMP CARTER." Until this game, Carter's shown me nothing but the ability to be consistently rejected in soft drives to the rim. It was apparent that Few had faith in him, and that faith was not misplaced. I'm glad that Carter gave me the opportunity to eat my words. Regardless, he is still on thin ice with me, as I'll need more than 20 minutes of good play to start calling for him to supplant Meech as the starter (although Meech was turnover central). Good job Carter, get your groove back!

Reborn
12-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I think this performance by Carter is closer to what fans thought we would see. He will continue to get better I think. This could be the beginning of something good. What I like the most about Carter is his ability to pass and direct the offense. He seldom turns the ball over. And obviously we saw tonight that he shoots FT good as well.

Congrats to Meech too for some good FT shooting, and the Team as a whole.

JohnOGU
12-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, Marquise did great tonight, especially those 3's. But defensively he is just terrible.

roxdoc
12-18-2010, 09:22 PM
You must mean the time when the 6-11 P. Jones was posting up on him:o

RockandRollJames
12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Now there is no reason to play David Stockton! It's greater news than I originally thought!

Apparently my opinion about not playing Stockton gets me negative rep. Some people like to give negative rep for having a differing opinion than others.

Unfortunately for him, his size is too big a factor to play him against big time competition. We've seen it three games in a row against big conference schools. I'm fine during WCC play, but against bigger competition, we should stick to Marquise and Meech.

webspinnre
12-19-2010, 12:16 AM
As a walk-on freshman, Stockton is really remarkable. As a regular point guard, he's just not strong enough/big enough at this point. If he can gain strength and perhaps a step of quickness, he could be a useful contributor as an upperclassman.

Saxon_zag
12-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Apparently my opinion about not playing Stockton gets me negative rep. Some people like to give negative rep for having a differing opinion than others.

Unfortunately for him, his size is too big a factor to play him against big time competition. We've seen it three games in a row against big conference schools. I'm fine during WCC play, but against bigger competition, we should stick to Marquise and Meech.

Also many GU diehards that remember the old days have a RAGING hard-on for David mainly because of his last name.

JohnOGU where along the line did you come to the conclusion he plays terrible D? Looked fine to me.

CDC84
12-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Marquise Carter is more likely to make Gonzaga better 2 months from now than David Stockton. End of story. He just has greater immediate upside at this time. As soon as David went in the game yesterday, Baylor - just like Illinois, etc. - started to attack him on both ends of the floor, and Few had to get him out of there. I know he had some nice moments against Kansas State when Gonzaga was a mess and when the opposing coach thought David would never see the floor, but by and large, he's going to have major problems against BCS competition and teams like Memphis who know that he can be physically exploited. David could have the best defensive footwork on the team, as well as the best handle on the team, and it won't make a difference. It's physically impossible for him to battle through heavy ball pressure. It's physically impossible for him to avoid getting exploited by guards who have 50 pounds on him and who are 4-5 inches taller than him. Being scrappy and generating a few steals isn't enough.

Things could change 2-3 years from now as he builds muscle and such. I still wish he were redshirting this season. He probably would be if GU had all of their scholarships used up. They don't have the depth right now to redshirt anyone.

David is going to continue look fantastic against teams like Lewis & Clark, Lafayette, Pepperdine and San Diego. Those teams don't have players who can physically take advantage of him. Therefore, his passing skills and his ability to run the offense are going to make him appear to be the ideal point guard for Gonzaga during those games. But it's fools gold. Marquise needs minutes if he's going to continue to improve. He can't just be brought out of the closet when the Zags are playing teams who can physically exploit Stockton. He needs to be running the ream as GU's point guard against the Lafayette's of the world.

Birddog
12-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I still wish he were redshirting this season. He probably would be if GU had all of their scholarships used up.
He redshirted last year, no?