PDA

View Full Version : What a gut check!!!

23dpg
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
That was the ugliest thing of beauty ever.

The Zags overcame so many obstacles to win that game.

Anybody want to jump back on the bandwagon?

MBZags
12-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Despite losing Gray and atrocious officiating, this team showed enormous heart. Very proud to be a Zag right now.

FuManShoes
12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Hoist me back on the wagon! That was a kick-ass win. Props to the whole team for showing major cajones, as David Stockton demonstrated so well.

Zag365
12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I can now uncover my eyes when watching the Zags this year against ranked opponents

Saxon_zag
12-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Hoist me back on the wagon! That was a kick-ass win. Props to the whole team for showing major cajones, as David Stockton demonstrated so well.

What did i miss?

ellenvega
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Good job guys.

Qhall43
12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
What did i miss?

Stockton was demonstrating Kelly's "onions" on that huge 3 pointer. It was glorious!

rijman
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
What did i miss?
Stockton gesturing large cajones from the bench. I think it followed KO's 3.

Saxon_zag
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM

Ohhh nice haha have to check it out on the DVR

CDC84
12-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I tell you, Meech almost cost Gonzaga the game with a couple of boneheaded plays near the end, BUT he hit two big clutch foul shots and most importantly, held Dunn to 4-14 shooting. Dunn had to work for everything.

That was one of the best coaching efforts I've seen from Few in some time. He had to juggle so many things in that game. He loses his most important player early on in the game and the frontline was foul trouble from beginning to end. Great decision to employ junk defenses near the end to take away the three point shot, and then the gutsy decision to set up Olynyk for that three pointer when everyone in the building knew the ball would be going into Sacre, etc.

When Marquise Carter signed with Gonzaga, one of the things that Few said about him is that he's not afraid of game pressure. He hit a lot of big shots in big games at Three Rivers JC. Those foul shots he hit were huge if you consider how little D-1 game experience he has.

cggonzaga
12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I tell you, Meech almost cost Gonzaga the game with a couple of boneheaded plays near the end, BUT he hit two big clutch foul shots and most importantly, held Dunn to 4-14 shooting. Dunn had to work for everything.

That was one of the best coaching efforts I've seen from Few in some time. He had to juggle so many things in that game. He loses his most important player early on in the game and the frontline was foul trouble from beginning to end. Great decision to employ junk defenses near the end to take away the three point shot, and then the gutsy decision to set up Olynyk for that three pointer when everyone in the building knew the ball would be going into Sacre, etc.

When Marquise Carter signed with Gonzaga, one of the things that Few said about him is that he's not afraid of game pressure. He hit a lot of big shots in big games at Three Rivers JC.

Couldn't agree more with it all CDC.

Anyone still questioning our overall depth? We don't win that game if we don't play the schedule we've played. Kelly and Carter and don't forget Sam were HUGE!!!!

Mantua
12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Hate to be in Baylor's locker room tonight. They must have bought into the negative hype we've been getting lately. They seemed surprised, although those refs did their best for 'em. I don't remember a game when we had this much adversity, let alone won when our best players were either out or in foul trouble. The team's attitude was so great considering. Everything leading up to this game on the road after finals. Best win in a long time!

MickMick
12-18-2010, 04:08 PM
If Baylor plays like that in conference, they are going to get hammered in Big 12 play.

Nice win for GU with all the adversity, but Baylor was far from impressive. Especially on the offensive end. The free throw line kept them in it or they would have lost by 10+.

LynetteG
12-18-2010, 04:18 PM

even the announcers said, 'oh, we can't show that on television'...classic!

fedwayzag
12-18-2010, 04:24 PM
NO doubt huge win under adverse conditions. Makes it even Sweeter. Has to give the team confidence not just winning, but in the way they won. Gray not being on the floor for the last 30 minutes. There was no panic and they kept sawing wood. Few did a great job mixing and matching even with the walk-ons making contributions.

Mantua
12-18-2010, 04:36 PM
If Baylor plays like that in conference, they are going to get hammered in Big 12 play.

Nice win for GU with all the adversity, but Baylor was far from impressive. Especially on the offensive end. The free throw line kept them in it or they would have lost by 10+.

How much more of a handicap would we need to make that an impressive win?

ZagsObserver
12-18-2010, 04:41 PM
We sure do empty the bench this year, which is really nice to see. I don't get nearly as stressed when we get in foul trouble, which is a change from years past.

McZag
12-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I came to Spokane in August of 1990.

Been on the bandgagon ever since.

That was one of the ugliest games we've ever played and one of the most impressive wins in my 20 years.

God Bless the Zags!!!

BobZag
12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Cassell. LOL.

bballbeachbum
12-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Ohhh nice haha have to check it out on the DVR

me too! that is awesome, man

xjzico
12-18-2010, 05:37 PM
We sure do empty the bench this year, which is really nice to see. I don't get nearly as stressed when we get in foul trouble, which is a change from years past.To see the bench guys start to gain confidence is a pleasant thing to see. The nice thing today was they got the W and no one really played over their head.

Reborn
12-18-2010, 05:40 PM
The Zags are finally looking like and playing like a tightly closed fist, five guys playing together on the court as one (no matter who is on that court). It was a game the Zags badly needed to win, and against the greatest of adversity, they pulled out off. To me it was simply incrdible what happened out there on that court today in Houston.

Carter hitting those two big threes, and shooting lights out at the foul line at the end of the game. I'm so happy for Marquis. I hope this will really help his confidence the rest of the way at GU. And Kelly hitting not only the 3, but that 2 point basket with time running out on the 30 second clock. Those were really unbelievable shots. I was in awe of how much they looked like some of the old Zag teams who were often overmatched by athletes, and played on pure guts. Thats what I saw tonight. A bunch of subs playing on pure guts and ZAG PRIDE. I loved it. ZagNation is dancing in the streets tonight. Merry Christmas!

BCZag
12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Thought based on the circumstance this a really well coached game by the zag staff. Maybe the best I've seen

DCZag
12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Showed lots of character - had a bazillion chances to fold the last couple of minutes, but hung tough. You can single out a couple of guys, but it was aTEAM win.

Nice job guys!

El Voce
12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
With Gray and Harris out, this team reminded me of some earlier "refuse to lose" Zag teams. Very gutty win!

btzag
12-18-2010, 06:05 PM
After Carter hit a three late in the game, which came right after a nice play and a couple free throws, the camera caught his expression as he went back on defense and it seriously gave me chills. Focused, confident intensity on his face and you could tell that he was going to help will this team to the win. Sure enough he played great down the stretch, wanted the ball in his hands and delivered. Fantastic performance.

Some guys make a big shot and jump all around pounding their chest and screaming but to see our PG with that look gives me great hope for our two-headed monster of Carter and Meech.

scott257
12-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I have followed the Zags quite a while and was fortunate to be at the game tonight. The Zags were playing against Baylor and the refs today and they really battled the entire game. I live down here and had never seen the Zags play live, this game was special in so many ways. I didn't make many friends with the Baylor fans around me and thought they might come after me when the horn sounded to interrupt Sacre's free throw near the end of the game - I yelled down and asked if he went to school at Baylor. Anyway - no negative report from me, the entire team played with heart and the coaching staff was amazing. I was proud of them all.

MedZag
12-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Stockton was demonstrating Kelly's "onions" on that huge 3 pointer. It was glorious!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1337.snc4/162929_592123552773_28200525_34069641_1832630_n.jp g

ZagLawGrad
12-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Good win. Ugly, but much needed. Not to take away too much from the win, but gotta wonder how Baylor got a #9 ranking?

U Zig, I Zag
12-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Good win. Ugly, but much needed. Not to take away too much from the win, but gotta wonder how Baylor got a #9 ranking?

It's so early in the season, just not losing is enough to keep moving up (or being UNC and losing is sometimes enough to be ranked).

Seriously have to wonder though - if we were undefeated at this point, where are we ranked? It would be the best record (wins vs the quality of opponent) in the nation.

DZ
12-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Common point throughout this thread (and it is wonderful) is that this was a classic "Zag" win, but not because it was ugly.

It is a Zag win b/c there was a feeling throughout the game that they would do anything to win, that they were determined not to lose. Everything was against them, Steven hurt (all prayers that he is healthy), refs embarrassing themselves, unexpected guys stepping up, AND, the whole team "feeling" like a team, you could see the way they were cheering each other on, the "cajones" (Wanna bet David gets a call from Dad tonight?), arms locked, Harris cheering on Carter - - THAT is a Zag team.

I really hope this is a coming out for this entire group as a "team." I know they will not win every game, but I hope the feeling of - "got your back" remains throughout the year.