PDA

View Full Version : OT: Izzo Suspension

RenoZag
12-17-2010, 10:00 PM
LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5931058)

Michigan State officials said late Friday afternoon the school employed someone associated with a potential recruit during a basketball camp in June. The person was paid $475 for five days of working with middle schoolers. Izzo says he regrets what happened and called it an unintentional violation of the rules.

Michigan State told ESPN.com the case will be closed when Izzo sits out for one game. Michigan State (No. 15 ESPN/USA Today, No. 14 AP) decided to have Izzo sit for its next game, which happens to be against 2-9 Prairie View A&M on Saturday, "to get it over with and move forward,'' according to an MSU spokesperson. The Spartans play Texas (No. 25 ESPN/USA Today, No. T-22 AP) on Wednesday in East Lansing.

During a news conference Friday, MSU athletic director Mark Hollis said the only way to ensure a violation like this doesn't occur is to "not have summer camps."

Izzo is the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

How do you 'unintentionally' pay somebody nearly $500 ? I guess in Izzo's orbit, that's tip money

Once and Future Zag
12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I suspect it was just that they paid someone for helping with the camp, that they later found out was associated with a recruit.

Izzo's a pretty straight arrow.

zagfan08
12-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Seems by all accounts like it truly was an unintentional mistake. Izzo has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

bballbeachbum
12-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Seems by all accounts like it truly was an unintentional mistake. Izzo has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

me too

Bulldog
12-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Pocket change.

ExtremeJim
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
How do you 'unintentionally' pay somebody nearly $500?

I don't know that, but you can unintentionally pay somebody $360. My brother once paid somebody that sum for disposing of his worn out billfold, by leaving it in the pocket of his trousers, draped over a plastic chair on the pool deck of a Ramada Inn in Tucson, Arizona, at around midnight.

ExtremeBob had the habit of swimming laps underwater, and he was really good at it, too!

Not so much now, though.