PDA

View Full Version : HS Hoops.com - Gary Bell Interview

ZagNative
12-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Lots of interesting stuff here (http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-1-on-1/2010/12/hsh-1-on-1-gary-bell-is-a-bulldog-on-the-court/#more-3002).
HSH 1-on-1: Gary Bell is a Bulldog on the court
On Tuesday, when Kentridge faced Kentwood, Bell was the hero against the team that knocked his out of the playoffs last season, hitting the game-winning layup with 10 seconds left to cap and 18-point, 8-board performance.

“I didn’t draw anything up,” Kentridge coach Dave Jamison told the Seattle Times. “We had four shooters on the floor and the best guy with the ball in the state, so there’s not a lot of drawing. I told the other four guys to spot up and he was going to go, and that’s what happened.”

High School Hoop: What was behind your decision to sign with Gonzaga?
Gary Bell: I like the playing style and the coaching staff. Mark Few told me he would put the ball in my hands when I get there, and no other coach recruiting me said that. That’s what kind of put them number one at first. When I went out there for my official visit, for their Midnight Madness, I walked into the gym and all the fans knew who I was. They don’t have a football team, so everybody waits for basketball season.
HSH: When you watch Gonzaga this season, are you already putting yourself on the court and thinking about where you’d fit in?
GB: Yeah, definitely. I see myself being one of the scoring guards. I think they’re kind of lacking that right now. Next year I want to go in there and put my time in the gym and hopefully it pays off with a lot of playing time.
HSH: What goals do you have for your senior year?
GB: I wanna be MVP of the league (South Puget Sound League). My number one goal is to take my team to state and win state. I have big goals, but I think I can fulfill them. We went to districts last year but got put out by Kentwood, so we have a chip on our shoulder.

HSH: How would you describe your style of play?
GB: Well, my coach says I’m very aggressive on defense and on the offensive end. I can shoot it pretty good. My AAU coach used to call me Vinnie Johnson, “The Microwave.”

HSH: Do you have a go-to move?
GB: I’d say my step-back shot. I got that from watching Dwyane Wade.

Zag4Hire
12-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Great work, ZN. This made my day. In a way, Bell's expected arrival might similar, at least for me, as my Ohio State's friend's anticipation for Terrelle Pryor a few years back. I think this kid is absolutely top notch!

U Zig, I Zag
12-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Is it too early (or late?) to be man-crushing GBJ?

Give him the ball next fall and let him do his thing.

gozagswoohoo
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
love it

ZagNative
12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
BTW, Kentridge hosts Kentlake tonight, which is west side fans' last chance to see Gary before Kentridge heads to the Orange County Classic that runs from December 26 to 31.

ZagKing09
12-17-2010, 01:55 PM
BTW, Kentridge hosts Kentlake tonight, which is west side fans' last chance to see Gary before Kentridge heads to the Orange County Classic that runs from December 26 to 31.

Man, that sucks for me... I won't be over there until tomorrow night. Enjoy the game to all who go!

CDC84
12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
My AAU coach used to call me Vinnie Johnson, “The Microwave.”

Interesting........

BobZag
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
A very nice read. Thanks,

Also, Kyle Dranginis plays his final game of 2010 tonight; I believe it's at Skyview HS in Nampa.

ZagNative
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
A very nice read. Thanks,

Also, Kyle Dranginis plays his final game of 2010 tonight; I believe it's at Skyview HS in Nampa.

Yes, Skyview plays Emmett at home at 7:30.

Spangler's Bridge Creek plays Lexington at Lexington (OK) at 6:30

Sarbaugh's G-Prep plays North Central at 5:30 at G-Prep

No clue, as usual, on Pangos, HS basketball being the deep, dark secret it is in Canada.

Check game times to make sure of my numbers if you're inclined to attend any of the games.

ZagMan in Philly
12-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks ZN, great read on GBell.
I have never seen him play, but i can feel that he is a real deal on the court, one of those kids that is going to be a star at GU. Can't wait.

ZagNative
12-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Live Stats (http://www.cybersportsusa.com/webgames/webgame.aspx?xmlfile=SkyEmm121720101832.xml&uid=0&ssid=) for tonight's Dranginis Skyview - Emmett game should be available here at game time, 7:30 pm tonight.

Thanks to StretchLimo.

LMUZAG
12-17-2010, 06:33 PM
I was hooked on his on-court demeanor after the Nike tourney in Portland.

23dpg
12-17-2010, 09:58 PM

Bell scored 22. Kentridge lost to Kentlake but beat Kentwood earlier this week. I find it all a little Kentfusing.