PDA

View Full Version : Transition from JC to D1

BigTymeONIONS
12-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I hope Marquise Carter improves and becomes the great player we hoped he was but I've always thought the jump from JC to D1 is an incredible leap in competition which makes it extremely tough. He's already a junior and has a long way to go IMO.

I happened to read about Kansas guard Mario Little on ESPN.com today. He was 2007-2008 JC player of the year and a highly regarded recruit to Kansas. Ended up playing in only 23 games his first year and redshirted last year just because he wasn't ever going to see the floor. Limited contributions this year so far.

Just thought it was an interesting comparison to the struggles we are seeing out of Carter on the court this year. Anyway here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5926025

CDC84
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
The transition is especially difficult for juco point guards. Juco bigs make the adjustment more quickly.

It should be noted that one of the teams that offered Marquise is the team the Zags will be playing on Saturday.

RenoZag
12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Giacoletti said ( on the Mark Few show ) that it takes a Juco about 10 games to make the adjustment to D-1.

Hope he's right. Zags need Carter to be a significant contributor if they are to fare well the rest of the way

TheBunnieRancher
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
It sure hasn't taken WSU's juco Aiden long to contribute...neither did Portland's JUCO point guard a couple of years ago. I think the amount of playing time Carter sees to gain confidence and a feel for the D1 game plays a part in it as well. If the schedule wasn't near as tough and Few was willing to give him a longer leash, he may have been contributing sooner.

JohnOGU
12-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Granted it was against NAIA, but I like what I saw from Quise last night.

Along with adjusting to the speed of the game, i think confidence has been a huge issue for him. Showed some last night. Has pretty good vision too.

rijman
12-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Giacoletti said ( on the Mark Few show ) that it takes a Juco about 10 games to make the adjustment to D-1.

Hope he's right. Zags need Carter to be a significant contributor if they are to fare well the rest of the way
I saw that too. He thought Carter would be more up to speed after Christmas. Maybe he'll find his game in conference play and become the significant contributor we hoped for.

CDC84
12-17-2010, 08:15 AM
If Carter ends up being a disappointment, you can't say that Gonzaga was the only school that misevaluated him. Scott Drew, Mark Turgeon and the other coaches who were after this kid have pretty good track records when it comes to evaluating players.

TacomaZAG
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
if Carter is going to be able to contribute is to give him major minutes, and here's the important part, WITH THE FIRST UNIT. Garbage time and time when he and Meech/Stockton are on the floor at the same time are not helping his adjustment. He needs to be on the floor with the first unit as much as possible for the rest of the season, and that didn't happen last night, nor has it happened yet this year. We can't judge him yet as there is no body of work on which to judge him.

I agree with the previous post about Carter seemingly being on a "short leash". I see his timidity and tentativeness as a result of "not wanting to make a mistake", with the resulting immediate benching if he does. That kind of reminds me of PMAC and Larry G. from previous years, along with GJ and GG more recently.

Let him play.............a lot.

Good post BTO, see you tomorrow.

Go ZAGS

ZagMania
12-17-2010, 09:51 AM
There was one play against Notre Dame or WSU last week where the other team got a steal and run out for a fast break. When Carter was sprinting back to try to catch up I was surprised at how slow he was at full speed. Granted, top speed isn't all that important compared to how fast you can move with the ball but that was just an observation I wanted to add.

Zag 77
12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
GU historically does not bring in many JC guys: JP, Skinner, Hernandez. Is Carter our first JC point guard?

I expected more from an All-American, even at the JC level. Some people seem to think junior college or community college is "advanced high school." (to use a term we used to use in the olden days.)

hondo
12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
PG is a tough place for a JC transfer but Gonzaga over the years has had a few. Winston Brooks, Kyle Dixon, Quentin Hall, Dwan Hurt, Darryl May, Lennie Parham, Marlon Wadlington, all played at the PG spot in the past 20 years or so.

fedwayzag
12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
i liked what i saw last night from carter. when mm got hot, carter was looking for him. that is what a pt guard should do