PDA

View Full Version : Foreign players leaving teams mid-season

Radbooks
12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
A Memphis player from Spain just left to play professionally back home. It's the second time in 2 years this has happened in the middle of the year. With the number of recruits we're getting from Europe, I wonder if this is something that will ever become an issue for us.

Andy Katz has a column (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5918395/game-suffers-players-bolting-season) about it on ESPN today.

Memphis junior center Angel Garcia told coach Josh Pastner that the contractual offer to play professionally in Spain was too good to turn down.

So he's gone, just like that, eight games into the season.

Iowa State junior guard Lucca Staiger said nearly the same thing after two games in the Big 12 last season. He left the Cyclones for a professional contract in Germany.

Nebraska sophomore forward Christian Standhardinger, who has missed the past four games due to an academic suspension, could be next after he meets with coach Doc Sadler later in the week.

When Florida sophomore guard Christian Drejer pulled this stunt in February 2004, it seemed like an anomaly.

Six years later, it seems like a trend.

CDC84
12-14-2010, 10:22 PM
If Garcia can get a contract to play overseas, just about anyone can. He's not that good. He was terrible in Memphis' recent loss to KU.

Mantua
12-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I am kinda laughing about this new opportunity for paranoia.

MickMick
12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
It isn't just Europians.

When the NBA came out with the rule that a kid had to play a minimum one year of college ball, Brandon Jennings opted to play professionally in Europe for one year instead. He had no inclination to pursue academics. People were worried that he might start a trend for US youngsters who have little regard for academic life. His NBA success has laid down the blueprint for others to follow. Agents have disdain for college ball (NCAA rules/beauracracy) and may begin to steer kids into "instant money" in preparation for a shot at the NBA.

A couple Kentucky kids should have gone that route last year. Although John Wall didn't "quit" school upon the conclusion of basketball season, two other players did. Just stopped attending classes altogether.

The college game is most compatable with student athletes. The precedents are being set. Those with no academic interest will begin to seek other avenues. We are just beginning to see the trend. I expect it will trend upward from the trickle of players we are seeing now.

It won't be just about foreign players either.

Drew
12-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Garcia was averaging 13 min a game as a Jr, with only 6 and 8 minutes in the last 2 games. If he can get a job playing professionally, he should take it.

jazzdelmar
12-15-2010, 07:07 AM
gu should be so lucky to have this "problem"

CDC84
12-15-2010, 09:04 AM
It should be pointed out that Garcia didn't come to Memphis from overseas. He was born in Puerto Rico and moved to Chicago as a teenager. He isn't a Harris/Monninghoff type.

I'd like to see how much the guy is actually going to get paid and if he will ever see the money. I mean, he did next to nothing at Memphis. His contract terms can't be all that great.

I'm not a real believer in the idea that Brandon Jennings is a trailblazer. The only major US basketball prospect who has followed his path since 2008 has been Jeremy Tyler. Tyler has been a major failure. As long as the NBA age limit is in place, most one and done type kids are going to continue to choose the route of US college basketball because it's much better than Europe for developing their games, and most of all, for enhancing their marketing profile for the NBA.

1973Zag
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
AND they get a good college education!

810Suited
12-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Just cause his name is Garcia doesn't make him a Spaniard. Kid was living in the states when he committed to Memphis. Never from Spain originally Puerto Rican, he had a promising future but injury problems and adversity to contact really hurt him. He wasn't getting much PT because Memphis needed his size inside but he wont move off the perimeter and never really bought into the system