PDA

View Full Version : Marquise Carter

Zerogame
12-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I talked with a friend of mine today who scrimmaged against Marquise and other Zags this past summer, and he feels Marquise must have some kind of injury the way he is playing so far. He felt Marquise was the real deal back then.
It has to be that, the complex playbook, or total lack of confidence. Let's hope he gets it together soon.

gozagswoohoo
12-14-2010, 11:51 AM
My grandfather always used to say "Sonny, if you put a bear near honey, is he going to scratch his back on the tree, or will he work to get some honey, and share it with everyone else?"

MDABE80
12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
He's looked lost Zero..just lost. It's hard to evaluate his talent when he looks lost.
I also hope somehow he begins accurate shooting. When a kid is new and having a bad season, it seems that all parts of his game deteriorates.

One good game can change everything. He was better last week but he needs a solid performance. Let's hope he gets a few under his belt.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I talked with a friend of mine today who scrimmaged against Marquise and other Zags this past summer, and he feels Marquise must have some kind of injury the way he is playing so far. He felt Marquise was the real deal back then.
It has to be that, the complex playbook, or total lack of confidence. Let's hope he gets it together soon.

is ur friend bz? recall our leader alerted us in early fall that indeed we have a winner in marquise.....just so hard to predict such stuff....

jazzdelmar
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
what u see is what u get w the current edition of zags. what makes anyone think theres more there, there? most are trying as hard as they can, surely rob and meech are. theres just a yawning talent and skill gap and no "what ifs" are likely to change that in any significant way.

MDABE80
12-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Manny looked great this past game lots of points(16) and lots of rebounds(7) with good defense. I suspect he's solved his "lostness". The other two...? Kelley's a good talent but he looks so out of positiion..kinda off-balance all the time. I wonder how he solved this last summer in the euro tournament. I wish he'd solve it now.

Let's hope Carter figures it out. We sure need him like he was in the JC ranks. It can'[t be that one 36 Pt game in the JC finals earned him a spot at GU. He looked very good to everyone.

hooter73
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I heard before the season and again last week that Carter is MUCH better than we've seen... and that is really hard for me to believe. Was told that the set back is coaching related and not injury. Here's hoping he can break out a bit against Lewis and Clark to at least be somewhat helpful during WCC play.

ZagMan in Philly
12-14-2010, 01:36 PM
is ur friend bz? recall our leader alerted us in early fall that indeed we have a winner in marquise.....just so hard to predict such stuff....

hey jazz, how good would we be if we have a guard like Kemba Walker? He is sure matured fast on the court.

CDC84
12-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I felt Marquise looked the best that he has looked as a Zag on Saturday, but he still has a ways to go.

Reborn
12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I really think that sometimes we really try to complicate things. It Carter's case, to me, it's quite simple. Just begin to put the ball in the basket. Afterall, isn't that what basketball is all about? Carter has had good shots. Very good shots really, and he simply just misses. He drives to the basket and I'm sure he's going to score or get fouled, but he bails out the defense at just throws a shot up at the basket.

Carter was more sought after then the JUCCO from WSU, and look how the WSU kid is tearing it up. What's up with Carter? Confidence. That's it. He seems to have lost his.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
hey jazz, how good would we be if we have a guard like Kemba Walker? He is sure matured fast on the court.

kemba was a great player at Rice HS in nyc...still, he sure has come on....maybe Bell's the real deal.....or Pangos.....

U Zig, I Zag
12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Manny looked great this past game lots of points(16) and lots of rebounds(7) with good defense. I suspect he's solved his "lostness". The other two...? Kelley's a good talent but he looks so out of positiion..kinda off-balance all the time. I wonder how he solved this last summer in the euro tournament. I wish he'd solve it now.

Let's hope Carter figures it out. We sure need him like he was in the JC ranks. It can'[t be that one 36 Pt game in the JC finals earned him a spot at GU. He looked very good to everyone.

Manny gets boards and the hustle plays because of his innate ability to sniff out the ball. The dude just finds the action on the court somehow. Watch him off ball though, he sort of does what MC and KO do (though less with KO, though) - seems to be looking for instruction on what's next.

What has me befuddled is the wacky handles some of our players have. We have to have some of the oddest ducks in D1 in that regards. The last few weeks I have been purposely watching other games on TV with the intent of dissecting ball movement and handling. We are on the shallow end of the pool in both categories, unfortunately.

Though he picks up the ball way too often, Meech is most def. our best ball handler.

U Zig, I Zag
12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I really think that sometimes we really try to complicate things. It Carter's case, to me, it's quite simple. Just begin to put the ball in the basket. Afterall, isn't that what basketball is all about? Carter has had good shots. Very good shots really, and he simply just misses. He drives to the basket and I'm sure he's going to score or get fouled, but he bails out the defense at just throws a shot up at the basket.

Carter was more sought after then the JUCCO from WSU, and look how the WSU kid is tearing it up. What's up with Carter? Confidence. That's it. He seems to have lost his.

When he had the ball in the corner and decided to go baseline and put up that one runner - that needed to fall for him. He has had that shot from several areas multiple times this year. It needs a confidence booster, certainly.

thickman1
12-14-2010, 02:22 PM
kemba was a great player at Rice HS in nyc...still, he sure has come on....maybe Bell's the real deal.....or Pangos.....

Or Carter...i think that was the point of that post re: Kemba. He's a junior now and finally showing the promise that he was so hyped for coming out of high school.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Or Carter...i think that was the point of that post re: Kemba. He's a junior now and finally showing the promise that he was so hyped for coming out of high school.

kemba played very well as a frosh....now hes a pro...carter's gotta long way to go

Reborn
12-14-2010, 03:00 PM
If Carter wants to be recognized along with guys like Walker then he had better begin to makes some baskets. It's not about what you could do. It's all about what you do. On the court during a game, not in practice.

GrizZAG
12-14-2010, 05:23 PM
What has me befuddled is the wacky handles some of our players have. We have to have some of the oddest ducks in D1 in that regards. The last few weeks I have been purposely watching other games on TV with the intent of dissecting ball movement and handling. We are on the shallow end of the pool in both categories, unfortunately.

Though he picks up the ball way too often, Meech is most def. our best ball handler.

THIS! Spot on!
Meech protects the ball. Who else can do it with reliability? ?? ?? Right

Ezag
12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
THIS! Spot on!
Meech protects the ball. Who else can do it with reliability? ?? ?? Right

Unfortunately we also need someone who can run an offense, distribute the ball and shoot.

ZagsObserver
12-14-2010, 06:10 PM
The statement that Meech protects the ball is a bit of a misnomer because the defender usually plays well off Meech knowing that his shot is poor. He doesn't get as much on-the-ball pressure, which actually hurts the rest of the offensive flow, but does allow him to have a lower turnover rate.

ZagHouse
12-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I would love to watch the game where the defender sags off Meech at the top of the arc (as is usually the case) and have Meech pull up and drain a 3. And then keep doing it when he sees his defender drop down to help with a potential entry pass. It probably won't happen but one can dream.

hondo
12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Actually saw that happen at USF 2 years ago. Not from the top of the key but he drained two 3s I think in a row from the right side when they were sagging off. So he can do it sometimes.

Zag79
12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
The statement that Meech protects the ball is a bit of a misnomer because the defender usually plays well off Meech knowing that his shot is poor. He doesn't get as much on-the-ball pressure, which actually hurts the rest of the offensive flow, but does allow him to have a lower turnover rate.

is this post for real? not being a good three point shooter (or shooting enough) means you will have less TO's being the primary ball handler? i see other teams try and body meech with on ball defense, pressure him as he brings the ball up, and stay in his hip more often than not. being good at shooting the three has nothing to do with it, its silly to even be talking about this. so sacre turns it over so much because he is a good three point shooter? gray shoots alot of threes, and his TO's come from bad passing and dribbling. someone who brings the ball up the floor, is fast and can get to the hole, weaves in and out of traffic would have a better chance of TO's than a shooter who doesnt have the ball in his hand no? :confused:

Manny looked great this past game lots of points(16) and lots of rebounds(7) with good defense. I suspect he's solved his "lostness".

+1, he looks really good as of late. how beneficial to have a guy that can do all the things manny can, when he puts it all together he is quite the player.

Mantua
12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Distributing the ball may be a more crucial skill to develop rather than his shot. Shooting seems to be a confidence thing sometimes.

2wiceright
12-14-2010, 10:27 PM
is this post for real? not being a good three point shooter (or shooting enough) means you will have less TO's being the primary ball handler? i see other teams try and body meech with on ball defense, pressure him as he brings the ball up, and stay in his hip more often than not. being good at shooting the three has nothing to do with it, its silly to even be talking about this. so sacre turns it over so much because he is a good three point shooter? gray shoots alot of threes, and his TO's come from bad passing and dribbling. someone who brings the ball up the floor, is fast and can get to the hole, weaves in and out of traffic would have a better chance of TO's than a shooter who doesnt have the ball in his hand no? :confused:

+1, he looks really good as of late. how beneficial to have a guy that can do all the things manny can, when he puts it all together he is quite the player.

Thank you Zag79.... great point on Meech.

ZagsObserver
12-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe you should watch more basketball, 79. When you have less on-the-ball pressure, as Meech does in the half-court game, it means you are less likely to turn the ball over. It's a simple concept that plays out every game. You have been a Meech apologist, which is fine, but if he's been so fantastic at either distributing the ball, shooting, or protecting the ball, why has Few resorted to a desperate assortment of walk-ons, underachiveing JCs and the like at the pg position during important junctures of the game. In all my years of watching the Zags, I've never seen Few so desperate at a given position.

gamagin
12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I think the expectations of Carter, Manny, Kelly were all summertime fantasies that became more vivid with each passing post. Kind of like the bad analogy of the guy who marries for boobs alone and finds out they were falsies on his wedding night.

ed zachary !

gozagswoohoo
12-15-2010, 10:28 AM
IKind of like the bad analogy of the guy who marries for boobs alone and finds out they were falsies on his wedding night.

Only, in OUR case, these 'false boobies' may only be false boobies for a couple of months. As we get more games under our belts, they might turn into full sized, perky, DD's or something. Practice makes perfect.

cjm720
12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I think the expectations of Carter, Manny, Kelly were all summertime fantasies that became more vivid with each passing post. Kind of like the bad analogy of the guy who marries for boobs alone and finds out they were falsies on his wedding night.

I'm trying to figure out the problem with this? ;)

The offseason hype likely affected the players approach and mentality just as did ours...expectations are a funny thing.

We lose 4 starters a year ago and win several games that we either weren't expected to or one's where we clawed and fought our way back; this year we keep 4 starters (when Few starts the right players :) ) and there's final 4 hype. I admit the team doesn't quite pass the sniff test at this point, but that said a few bounces, a few less mistakes, a healthy Harris and we could be sitting with just a couple losses and a top 25 ranking.

As a wise poster mentioned yesterday, we don't have a bad loss yet...that's got to mean something.

Go Zags!!!

cjm720
12-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Agree without a doubt, Mal.

Saxon_zag
12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
The difference is that Matt Bouldin was the most important starter in both cases. The team that lost 4 starters wouldn't have been nearly as good if Bouldin hadn't stepped up and taken control of the offense. Last year, Bouldin made all sorts of cuts and passes to make things happen for the team. There's not a lot of that happening this year. Also, the guy was a phenomenal help defender, as evidenced by his high rate of steals.

Simply put, Gonzaga has had a tough time replacing him.

Matt Boudlin was not the teams most important player his junior year. Not to mention he didn't have the best track record of showing up for big games against athletic teams.

U Zig, I Zag
12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
The difference is that Matt Bouldin was the most important starter in both cases. The team that lost 4 starters wouldn't have been nearly as good if Bouldin hadn't stepped up and taken control of the offense. Last year, Bouldin made all sorts of cuts and passes to make things happen for the team. There's not a lot of that happening this year. Also, the guy was a phenomenal help defender, as evidenced by his high rate of steals.

Simply put, Gonzaga has had a tough time replacing him.

Watching this year's squad I get the impression that Matt had forgotten some basketball skills that these guys will never possess. The only one remotely like Matt is Stockton and he is 150lbs, wet. Matt was built like a tank and played like it if he needed too.

You can win a lot of games with one or two Matt's on your team or on the opposite end, a bunch of high flying jumping jack types (Baylor, SDSU).

The biggest problem is that other than a healthy Elias and a Manny that has his head screwed on tight we really don't have the jumping jack athletes and, like I wrote above, we don't have the heady players to make up for it.

This team's best hope is that everyone is consistent on both ends of the floor and that they learn to play together under all the circumstances which should help with our biggest deficit: confidence.