PDA

View Full Version : Tough Scheduling a Handicap, but...

BobZag
12-13-2010, 05:23 PM
So says Tom Izzo, but you know, he'll keep doing it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2010-12-13/tom-izzo-takes-blame-for-spartans-tough-schedule

“Who we played, I still think it’s going to make us better in the long run. We’ve always had more losses than anybody in the Final Four. I can promise you this, as long as I’m here, I’m going to be too stubborn to change.”

Of course, Tom and his Spartans will be in K2 next season. Next year:

Michigan State
Notre Dame
WSU
Baylor
Arizona (Seattle)
at Xavier
at Illinois
at Memphis

Kinda hoping Few doesn't add to the ooc list.

pbriz
12-13-2010, 05:40 PM
In years past we have won our biggest games at the beginning of the year. This year may be different.

Let's consider the positives.

1. Elias will be rested from summer ball due to his injury and won't peak too early.

2. Few has been running a huge rotation to see which players should get more time, which keeps players well rested.

Teams that come together later in the year can do some tremendous damage in the tourney and I hope that is the direction this team is taking.

kclubfounder
12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
How many years have I wished we were playing as well in March as we played in December? Answer - many.

Perhaps this will be a year when I wish we were playing as well in December as we play in March.

OK, that doesn't really make sense because March matters so much more than December. I can't think of a way to word it properly. I think you get my point.

BobZag
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Weeks ago I posted this team will take longer to get up to speed than teams of the past. Now, I didn't anticipate a discombobulated mess, but I told fans to have patience, which of course is useless to do on message boards. I think we hit some buzzsaws and weren't ready yet. We'll see how this team is in conference, but the general thinking is it should be trending uwards. We'll see. I'm content to wait.

madness
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
If the Zags dig down and find a way to beat Xavier next week and SMC at home in January they just might start believing they can beat someone. This could lead to an interesting showdown against Memphis and hopefully a heart pounding game @SMC. The WCC tourney will be extra awesome this year and I'm pumped to be going.

Aside, does anyone know what the team hotel is this year (MGM, Palms last two years)

Reborn
12-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Bob? Will the Baylor game next year be in K2 or in the Spokane arena?
If it's in K2, who do think we will schedule for a game in the arena?

kitzbuel
12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Weeks ago I posted this team will take longer to get up to speed than teams of the past. Now, I didn't anticipate a discombobulated mess, but I told fans to have patience, which of course is useless to do on message boards. I think we hit some buzzsaws and weren't ready yet. We'll see how this team is in conference, but the general thinking is it should be trending uwards. We'll see. I'm content to wait.

This team is gonna be one bad mama jama once they get combobulated.

ZagNative
12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
This team is gonna be one bad mama jama once they get combobulated.First laugh of the day! Had to see if, by chance, there were actually such a word. At least one online dictionary says "yes"!

(Verb) To put together in a somewhat mysterious manner. To bring something out of a state of confusion or disarray. To manufacture by some unusual or novel means. Antonym: discombobulate.

Usage: We must think out-of-the-box in order to combobulate a solution to overcome all these seemingly impossible challenges.

Kiddwell
12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Kiddwell's been preaching "we're young, we're young, we...are...young." Next year we oughta be much better in this segment of the season. For instance, some have seemingly given up on Carter for this season, but IMO he's learning the system, getting acclimated to the speed of the game, and being thrown to the lions against some very "top drawer" competition. Carter's going to be all right before this season's finished. (Just wish he'd shoot more.)

Also, looking forward to next year's rematch with ND (one of the college programs Kiddwell sorely dislikes). This year they threw an entirely senior starting five at us. Next year those guys will be gone, and Kiddwell's champing at the bit for a "pound down" of those guys.

In any case, yes, here's also hoping that we fill next year's remaining OOC openings with teams more on the order of Cal-State Northridge, Nevada, Akron, and similar.

:]

GeorgiaZagFan
12-14-2010, 04:28 AM
The Zags have the same problems the Tarheels had last year.....all the talent in the world...except at the most critical position....point guard!!!

Gonzaga will not be able to compete at a higher level when they have a point guard who consistently goes almost no points and a just a few assists while playing 25 minutes a game!!

WSU completely jammed up the offense by playing way off Goodson...and he never even shot the ball!! If he can't knock down a wide open three with no one guarding him at least 35% of the time...he's a liability...or he needs to be really running the offense and getting 8 assists a game and making plays that are leading to others getting assists....

BobZag
12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Bob? Will the Baylor game next year be in K2 or in the Spokane arena?
If it's in K2, who do think we will schedule for a game in the arena?

Baylor will be in K2. I'm not sure which team will be in the Spokane Arena next year; perhaps a team yet to be scheduled, in which case a beatable but decent team like an A-10 or MWC or mid-tier BCS member.

BobZag
12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
If the Zags dig down and find a way to beat Xavier next week and SMC at home in January they just might start believing they can beat someone. This could lead to an interesting showdown against Memphis and hopefully a heart pounding game @SMC. The WCC tourney will be extra awesome this year and I'm pumped to be going.

Aside, does anyone know what the team hotel is this year (MGM, Palms last two years)

Don't forget OK State. That'd be a decent enough win IF we win.

Mandalay Bay was where the Zags stayed last season. Might wish to switch to change their fortunes.

Zag4Hire
12-14-2010, 11:39 AM
The Zags have the same problems the Tarheels had last year

And this year too!

Zag4Hire
12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
So says Tom Izzo, but you know, he'll keep doing it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2010-12-13/tom-izzo-takes-blame-for-spartans-tough-schedule

Of course, Tom and his Spartans will be in K2 next season. Next year:

Michigan State
Notre Dame
WSU
Baylor
Arizona (Seattle)
at Xavier
at Illinois
at Memphis

Kinda hoping Few doesn't add to the ooc list.

Also add two games vs BYU!

ZagKing09
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Baylor will be in K2. I'm not sure which team will be in the Spokane Arena next year; perhaps a team yet to be scheduled, in which case a beatable but decent team like an A-10 or MWC or mid-tier BCS member.

Maybe they will throw in a Jesuit battle vs GG and Creighton ;) or a battle against Leon and BSU...

But the good news for next year is a lot of those games are here in Spokane, a part of the problem this year is these guys get off of a plane, go to class for a day and then hop on a plane again to head to the next city where we play. With a little more rest, and another year of experience for many of these guys, that schedule looks tough but winable. :)