PDA

View Full Version : Hey, you guys remember when we used to be able to do GUnit threads?

gozagswoohoo
12-13-2010, 07:49 AM
I do. That was awesome.

But in all seriousness, I just wanted to post a few random thoughts.

Random thought #1: Can you believe we don't have a winning record right now?!?!? Crazy huh? Well, don't stress, because we've got a long way to go, and the team can only go up in my opinion. Our 5 losses have come against 5 very good teams. How does a season record of 22-12 sound? I think it sounds pretty damn good, and looks like a tourney team to me. Well, our zags could lose 7 more games this season, and they'd finish about 22-12. All is not lost folks. So we've lost a few games....big deal....MOST schools in the country have these types of seasons every 4-5 years, but we have been able to enjoy great success for over a decade. We've basically been a permanent fixture in the Top 25 for that entire run as well, and been ranked as high as #2. That run is INCREDIBLE. I wish I could look up and find out how many D1 teams have been ranked in the Top 25 for as many days as our zags over the last 8-10 seasons. I garauntee we are up near the top of that list. I think we owe our team a little bit of backing through these TOUGH TIMES right now!! They've given us SO MUCH to cheer about, and now that they've had a dismal start (again, losing to 5 VERY good teams!), we've got people ready to suck a hose (I'm not sure what "sucking a hose means", it's an analogy I just now made up). C'mon peeps, I think we owe Gonzaga a LITTLE more backing after the run we've had. And it's WAAAAAAY to early to even say that the run is over.

Random thought X: How depressing would things be if our incoming recruiting class was poor? Guess what, our incoming recruiting class is AWESOME. We've got some man-boys on their way in! I mean, if TWO of these guys live up to the hype, we are gonna be looking GREAT. Plus, it's looking more and more like we might get to keep Elias next season. The future still looks bright as hell.

Random thought $: Of our 5 losses, only 2 of them were really out of reach as far as getting the W. The other 3 HAVE been winnable. And again, if these losses were to poor teams, maybe I could understand some panic, but EVERYBODY knew our OCC schedule was gonna be crazy tough. We all knew that a start like this was possible. I would be a little more nervous if we were 4-5 and played schedules like most teams do, and those 5 losses were against teams like Southern Maine University, Saint Louis Community College, Northern Louisiana Christian, Eastern Washington South City College, and Northern Rhode Island Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology. THEN, I'd be saying we need to panic. But we've lost to 5 GREAT TEAMS, and IMO, WashSt. could be a Top 25 team, they've got one loss to Kansas St, and they played em close. So, with 5 losses, to Top 25 (or near teams), we could actually be somewhere around Top 30-35 in the country. Our biggest problem right now isn't talent. We all know we've got the talent to go deep in March, you won't convince me otherwise. Our biggest issues are fixable issues.

These zags have plenty of time to get their shiz together. My x-factor right now is Arop. I don't know what our team dynamics are in the lockerroom, but hopefully guys listen to and respect Arop, because he is playing with intensity right now, and if he can drill some of that into the other guys, it's gonna work wonders. This team no longer has to play with the pressure of living up to a big ranking or anything, and hopefully they're starting to get a little pissed about this start. The Notre Dame game was a tough loss, but I saw some great things in that game. If we can continue to play like that, and iron out a few of those stupid turnovers, we could finish the season with less than 7 losses. But at this point, it's WAAAY to early for guys to be looking up "How to tie a noose" on the internet. C'mon guys, lets back our zags a little longer, we've got to sit on a kings throne of diamond encrusted jewelry for the last 10 years (I just made that analogy up too, I don't think it was near as good as my first one), they gave us that, let's not give up all hope after one month of basically .500 play.

This start reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "When your favorite college basketball team starts kinda poorly, don't turn your back on them so fast, because they could sometimes finish the season better than how they started it maybe."

FuManShoes
12-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Maybe we should give GUnits for losses, as well as wins. Rob and Manny both had great games at Notre Dame and if a shot goes down here or there or the Irish don't get to the line 36 times, one of those guys would likely be heralded as a GUnit. (What greater honor is there?) Perhaps this team is an exception in which good performances should be rewarded by us all-knowing fans, even if they come in a losing effort.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
I do. That was awesome.

But in all seriousness, I just wanted to post a few random thoughts.

Random thought #1: Can you believe we don't have a winning record right now?!?!? Crazy huh? Well, don't stress, because we've got a long way to go, and the team can only go up in my opinion. Our 5 losses have come against 5 very good teams. How does a season record of 22-12 sound? I think it sounds pretty damn good, and looks like a tourney team to me. Well, our zags could lose 7 more games this season, and they'd finish about 22-12. All is not lost folks. So we've lost a few games....big deal....MOST schools in the country have these types of seasons every 4-5 years, but we have been able to enjoy great success for over a decade. We've basically been a permanent fixture in the Top 25 for that entire run as well, and been ranked as high as #2. That run is INCREDIBLE. I wish I could look up and find out how many D1 teams have been ranked in the Top 25 for as many days as our zags over the last 8-10 seasons. I garauntee we are up near the top of that list. I think we owe our team a little bit of backing through these TOUGH TIMES right now!! They've given us SO MUCH to cheer about, and now that they've had a dismal start (again, losing to 5 VERY good teams!), we've got people ready to suck a hose (I'm not sure what "sucking a hose means", it's an analogy I just now made up). C'mon peeps, I think we owe Gonzaga a LITTLE more backing after the run we've had. And it's WAAAAAAY to early to even say that the run is over.

Random thought X: How depressing would things be if our incoming recruiting class was poor? Guess what, our incoming recruiting class is AWESOME. We've got some man-boys on their way in! I mean, if TWO of these guys live up to the hype, we are gonna be looking GREAT. Plus, it's looking more and more like we might get to keep Elias next season. The future still looks bright as hell.

Random thought $: Of our 5 losses, only 2 of them were really out of reach as far as getting the W. The other 3 HAVE been winnable. And again, if these losses were to poor teams, maybe I could understand some panic, but EVERYBODY knew our OCC schedule was gonna be crazy tough. We all knew that a start like this was possible. I would be a little more nervous if we were 4-5 and played schedules like most teams do, and those 5 losses were against teams like Southern Maine University, Saint Louis Community College, Northern Louisiana Christian, Eastern Washington South City College, and Northern Rhode Island Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology. THEN, I'd be saying we need to panic. But we've lost to 5 GREAT TEAMS, and IMO, WashSt. could be a Top 25 team, they've got one loss to Kansas St, and they played em close. So, with 5 losses, to Top 25 (or near teams), we could actually be somewhere around Top 30-35 in the country. Our biggest problem right now isn't talent. We all know we've got the talent to go deep in March, you won't convince me otherwise. Our biggest issues are fixable issues.

These zags have plenty of time to get their shiz together. My x-factor right now is Arop. I don't know what our team dynamics are in the lockerroom, but hopefully guys listen to and respect Arop, because he is playing with intensity right now, and if he can drill some of that into the other guys, it's gonna work wonders. This team no longer has to play with the pressure of living up to a big ranking or anything, and hopefully they're starting to get a little pissed about this start. The Notre Dame game was a tough loss, but I saw some great things in that game. If we can continue to play like that, and iron out a few of those stupid turnovers, we could finish the season with less than 7 losses. But at this point, it's WAAAY to early for guys to be looking up "How to tie a noose" on the internet. C'mon guys, lets back our zags a little longer, we've got to sit on a kings throne of diamond encrusted jewelry for the last 10 years (I just made that analogy up too, I don't think it was near as good as my first one), they gave us that, let's not give up all hope after one month of basically .500 play.

This start reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "When your favorite college basketball team starts kinda poorly, don't turn your back on them so fast, because they could sometimes finish the season better than how they started it maybe."

How dare you underestimate EWSCC? thats a mistake you will pay for dearly my friend.

seriously though, your right, thanks for the pep talk. Im going to call you right before my next final in march to get the same exact pep talk, or something very similar.

gamagin
12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

BobZag
12-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Everybody's talkin' at me.
I don't hear a word they're sayin'.
Only echoes in my mind.

Oregon Zag
12-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Thank you, gzww, for that great pep talk! Our team is really good this year, I love the way Manny plays, we will make it to the NCAA tourny this season, and no sucking on hoses, especially while on the throne.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Random thought $: I would be a little more nervous if we were 4-5 and played schedules like most teams do, and those 5 losses were against teams like Southern Maine University, Saint Louis Community College, Northern Louisiana Christian, Eastern Washington South City College, and Northern Rhode Island Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology. B]

Them's fightin' words. My wife and I are alumni of the grad school at Southern Maine University. We get really offended whenever anybody questions the athletic prowess of our beloved Huskies.

Once and Future Zag
12-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Some things never change

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=16640 from after the PSU loss of the 08/09 team

I seem to recall that team being decent in the end (5th most efficient offense and 18th on defense)

GrizZAG
12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Perfectly said. Let me introduce you to.....

FOY for sure!

Keep the faith and believe, it will come!