• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

No cupcakes here: 46-4

While I would have liked to seen a win, or two, or more from the opponents who have beaten the Zags to date it is worth noting the combined records of those teams is sitting at 46-4:

San Diego State: 10-0
    Kansas State: 9-1
    WSU: 7-1
    Illinois: 9-1
    Notre Dame: 9-1

The current records of the the "name" teams on the schedule through Jan 2, 2011:

Baylor: 6-0
    Xavier: 6-2
    Oklahoma St: 9-1
    Wake Forest: 5-3

Add those numbers to the above 46-4 won/loss opponent record and you get an astounding 72-10. I doubt there is another team in America with an opponents record even approaching those numbers!
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
    While I would have liked to seen a win, or two, or more from the opponents who have beaten the Zags to date it is worth noting the combined records of those teams is sitting at 46-4:

San Diego State: 10-0
    Kansas State: 9-1
    WSU: 7-1
    Illinois: 9-1
    Notre Dame: 9-1

The current records of the the "name" teams on the schedule through Jan 2, 2011:

Baylor: 6-0
    Xavier: 6-2
    Oklahoma St: 9-1
    Wake Forest: 5-3

Add those numbers to the above 46-4 won/loss opponent record and you get an astounding 72-10. I doubt there is another team in America with an opponents record even approaching those numbers!
    thanks for the perspective. But keep in mind the plane has already departed for Jonestown in many cases, having shifted from final four talk to doom . . . .
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

As disappointing as this season has been so far, I don't feel it's outrageous to propose the idea that many of the so-called great Gonzaga teams of the past would have had just as many losses as this year's group if they had been exposed to this kind of schedule. The 1999 elite 8 team by December 12 had three losses (Detroit and two blowout losses to Kansas and Purdue) against a sked that just wasn't as nasty as this year's sked has been.

Comment

• VinnyZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
        That record was fattened up by playing Gonzaga, which is clearly a program that's jumped the shark and has the worst team in D-I and probably couldn't beat Gonzaga Prep right now. If you subtract the games against GU, they're only a pedestrian 41-4.

Comment

• HOOTER
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
          As disappointing as this season has been so far, I don't feel it's outrageous to propose the idea that many of the so-called great Gonzaga teams of the past would have had just as many losses as this year's group if they had been exposed to this kind of schedule. The 1999 elite 8 team by December 12 had three losses (Detroit and two blowout losses to Kansas and Purdue) against a sked that just wasn't as nasty as this year's sked has been.
          Which begs the question; Would it be wise to play this difficult of a schedule ever again? Was stacking the schedule with one great team after another a wise decision? (Of course, that somewhat depends on if anyone actually thought the schedule would be this difficult before the season began) Is this an issue of scheduling or personnel?

Comment

• cbbfanatic
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Aug 2007

losing to good teams is nice, i suppose, but to ignore the numbers of the teams GU has beaten is disingenuous.

southern : 1-8 (not sure the "1" is even a D1 team either)
            iupui : 5-6 (2 of those 5 not D1)
            marquette : 7-3 (aint nothin wrong with that)
            ewu : 2-5 (looks like both the wins arent against D1)

so it looks like the wins here are sporting a 15-22 record, but only 10-22 if you only are considering D1 opponents, which falls in line with RPI calculations.

just saying, there are 2 sides to this coin

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

Alright, I guess losing is okay. Perfect excuses.
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• HOOTER
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
                Alright, I guess losing is okay.
                I'm surprised you didn't know that.

The truth is, anyone can lose to good teams. SOS is practically meaningless without some quality wins. The fact that Gonzaga's opponents are 46-4 is very little consolation.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by HOOTER View Post
                  I'm surprised you didn't know that.
                  I'm beginning to come around with my continuing adjusted expectations.
                  "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• gamagin
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

if you insist on a bad analogy, here's mine

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                    Gonzaga, which is clearly a program that's jumped the shark and has the worst team in D-I
                    We're growing the beard.
                    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• kclubfounder
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2007

WSU's only loss was to Kansas State, so the best case scenario would be 46-1. Also, I watched IUPUI take #2 Ohio State to the finish line at Ohio State. The final was 75-64, but with about 3 minutes left Ohio State fans would have been thrilled with a 1 point win.

Just sayin...

Comment

• cbbfanatic
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by kclubfounder View Post
                        WSU's only loss was to Kansas State, so the best case scenario would be 46-1. Also, I watched IUPUI take #2 Ohio State to the finish line at Ohio State. The final was 75-64, but with about 3 minutes left Ohio State fans would have been thrilled with a 1 point win.

Just sayin...
                        Sorry, go ahead and add one to the w/l figures from before, to account for IUPUI's moral victory against ohio state

Comment

• kclubfounder
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2007

The original post made a legitimate point about the teams we have lost to. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, had tried to claim that our victories are anything to dance about.

Nevertheless a commenter takes the time to point out that the teams we have played are not impressive. I think that if one is to note that IUPUI has "2 of 5 wins against non-D1 competition" it is worth noting that one of the losses was pretty dang impressive.

Comment

• cbbfanatic
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by kclubfounder View Post
                            The original post made a legitimate point about the teams we have lost to. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, had tried to claim that our victories are anything to dance about.

Nevertheless a commenter takes the time to point out that the teams we have played are not impressive. I think that if one is to note that IUPUI has "2 of 5 wins against non-D1 competition" it is worth noting that one of the losses was pretty dang impressive.

Sorry, "impressive losses" just don't so it for me. Maybe if a team ends up something like 25-4 with 5+ top 50 wins, a couple top 25s, and all 4 losses to top 25 teams, I would be impressed by that.

But absent those conditions, who really cares? Like someone said earlier, anyone can lose to good teams, but to only speak about the teams you've lost to (as a positive) with no mention of any teams beaten just strikes me as loser talk

Comment

• HOOTER
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cbbfanatic View Post
                              Sorry, "impressive losses" just don't so it for me. Maybe if a team ends up something like 25-4 with 5+ top 50 wins, a couple top 25s, and all 4 losses to top 25 teams, I would be impressed by that.

But absent those conditions, who really cares? Like someone said earlier, anyone can lose to good teams, but to only speak about the teams you've lost to (as a positive) with no mention of any teams beaten just strikes me as loser talk
                              Absolutely. Who here thinks the selection committee is gonna give a damn about the fact that Gonzaga lost to a bunch of good teams? This whole conversation is silly. It's sad that we're even in the position to try to find the positive in losing. There really is nothing good about losing. Sorry.

Now there's still time to get a few good non-conference wins. If that happens, along with a solid performance in conference, then we can talk positives. As of right now there is very little to be excited about.

Comment

Working...
                              X