PDA

View Full Version : Is Keegan Hyland still suffering concussion?

BobZag
12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Does he still have symptoms of concussion? Anybody know?

wiszag
12-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Was he the young guy on the bench wearing the sweater and Timerland boots last night? He was certainly excited during warmups.

BobZag
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Was he the young guy on the bench wearing the sweater and Timerland boots last night? He was certainly excited during warmups.

I didn't notice, but I haven't heard an update on him in weeks. I'm just curious about his health is all.

1973Zag
12-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Hard to believe no one knows anything!

Lurknomore
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I saw him handing out water in street clothes and was wondering if they had decided to redshirt him after all.

1973Zag
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
With 3 guards returning, and 3 highly regarded g,s coming in next yr.,what are we saving him for? We could use a Sharp shooter YESTERDAY! What could it hurt at this point to give him a shot . Anyone around campus with insight?

BobZag
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm told he was not practicing last week, so that post-concussion problem must be lingering. He is way behind the curve and far from game shape. I'd be surprised if he suited up this year. Obviously if this problem doesn't go away, GU would put him on a medical scholie and a spot would open for another scholie next year.

Meehan should report more as soon as tomorrow.

ESB
12-13-2010, 07:36 PM
He may begin running and shooting this week....

Ezag
12-13-2010, 08:11 PM
I expect keegan to go by way of GJ, GG and PMac

ZagNative
12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm content to wait until Keegan's healed and able to show what he can do. Best wishes to him in the meantime for a speedy recovery.

ESB
12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Hyland has been cleared to begin working out....riding bike and shooting to get back to game shape

MDABE80
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Gosh he'd better be REALLy good. I like the kid but I wonder if it's a bit late. His redshirt must be protected unless he's SO impressive he MUST play. Nobody's shocked us with superior play yet....and I mean NOBODY.
If he's got the goods, let's hope he shows it soon.

Just SO much competition at each of the guard spots....now and in the future! I want Spring!

Cavebear33
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
He was one I especially was looking forward to watching play this season, knowing the Zags needed some long range shooters. I took a long road trip this summer and wound up staying in South Portland, Maine one night. Even drove past his high school when I was there. I hope he gets a chance to show what he can do, hopefully this year.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
It seems odd that a kid with a concussion would not be allowed to participate in non-contact conditioning drills. It also seems odd that they wouldn't let him at least shoot around. Was there more to the injury than we've been aware of?

GoZags
12-27-2010, 12:30 PM
It seems odd that a kid with a concussion would not be allowed to participate in non-contact conditioning drills. It also seems odd that they wouldn't let him at least shoot around. Was there more to the injury than we've been aware of?

I don't know any of the details. I'm just glad Keegan is healthy and will be able to start getting into shape. I'd like to see what he can do -- I've got a feeling he could help in league.

Nevtelen
12-27-2010, 12:57 PM

It depends on the severity of the concussion, but it's not odd at all for athletes with concussions to be restricted from participating in any kind of strenuous activity. Getting lots of shots up, especially for a kid who sounds like a gym-rat like Hyland, can be fairly strenuous activity, and most drills in practice, contact or not should be. It apparently can aggravate the concussion or cause the symptoms to recur, which is partly why players are taken out of a game immediately if they're suspected of having a concussion. At least that's my understanding of concussions.

americasteam
12-27-2010, 01:01 PM

My daughter had a "possibility of a concussion" and was told that she could NOT do anything that would get her heart rate up until she had no more symptoms. That included doing shoot around. Heck, she was told to take the elevator, not the stairs, whenever she could.

Pays to be careful these days.

Good luck to Keegan, as he begins his process of getting back into shape, and trying to get in part of the playing rotation! Wishing him the best!

BobZag
12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
He has a long, difficult road ahead of him. Just so far behind the curve. I hope he continues to heal up. The brain is so fragile.

Jedster
12-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Concussions manifest in a number of ways. With exertion you can get dizzy, additional headaches, or nausea. The brain is a complex and fragile organ. Having it sloshing around and banging inside your head especially after injury to it is something we're learning more and more about and how detrimental it is long-term to the person. Shutting athletes down immediately is a good idea until they clear specific tests to show that the brain has healed enough.

Echo Abe and others that there's a long curve ahead for him and wonder about the likelihood of a redshirt for him. Will see this week or two what the plan is.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the insight. I did not mean to sound indifferent to the young man's health. If there is any possibility of causing permanent injury to the brain by having him practice, don't take that risk. Let him recover. It's only basketball.

810Suited
12-27-2010, 06:40 PM
really wish this kid had stuck with his Vermont commitment, he woulda terrorized that conference. damn aau coaches got in his head, that he could go big east if he went to prep school for a year.

palmerda
12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Hmmm. We haven't even seen him play yet and we're already trying to give him back to Vermont? Seems like the same types of comments were being made about Keita before the Xavier game. Maybe we should be patient and see how it all plays out.

zag67
12-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks Palmerda, well stated. Many on the board have already written him off without even seeing him play. Lets wait and see. The board says we need shooters and then when we get one (that is injured), they want to replace him. Trust him and the coaches. Having players that are instant offense can always help. All of them cannot be super stars (there is only one basketball). Remember Freshmen need time to grow (some academically, some physically and some mentally). Therefore next year we need to let that class come in and establish themsleves.

Too many of US, want the end product results when they first get here. Maybe the top 10 or 20 players in the nation come in and are ready, but most of them need time. Our program needs to have enough mature players to allow the youth come in, mature, and learn the ropes. I feel that is what the program is trying to create (and hopefully we will see that happening).

Even looking at this year, how many years would we have been able to miss one of our top 2 players for about 5 games and been where we are. Most of our players having been learning under fire and are still young. Dower, Stockton, MK and MM are freshmen. KO and Manny are sophmores. That means with Harris and Steven being out we only had Sacre and Meech with any experience. If we can keep the core here, then we will have the experience to bring the new players on slowly and not expect them to be superstars when they arrive (hopefully we find one or 2, but it is not necessary for us to win).

SunDevilGolfZag
12-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Concussions are very serious business. If the staff has chosen not to publicize what is the point of this thread? I would say lay off until something is announced.

810Suited
12-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Hmmm. We haven't even seen him play yet and we're already trying to give him back to Vermont? Seems like the same types of comments were being made about Keita before the Xavier game. Maybe we should be patient and see how it all plays out.

nah im not writing him off. i was a fan of the kid before anyone from gonzaga had ever heard of him. he was such a huge pick up for that program, people were really excited about him coming to town. just sucked for the program that his aau coaches got into his head about playing better basketball (big east) and talking him into going to prep school, when vermont is a good program, close to home, and a place he could have shined from day one.
i was and still am excited that he came to gonzaga, just wish that he had honored his original commitment to that school, because of how great a fit the school and he were for each other.
now the big problem i see for him coming here is that monninghoff wasn't commited when hyland signed. hyland was brought in for his shooting and it seems as though monninghoff is essentially playing that role. it was great to see gonzaga come in with an offer, to let hyland play big time bball w/out having to go prep school, but the monninghoff signing really nullified his biggest asset to the team.
also while i dont doubt his talent, i do think gonzaga is bringing in an incredible class of guards next year. i see gbj as an instant impact player, who should see lots of minutes at the 2. unfortunately for hyland i think the staff has recruited over him, especially with the somewhat surprising signing of monninghoff. therefore i wish he had stayed with vermont.

JPtheBeasta
12-29-2010, 09:28 AM
now the big problem i see for him coming here is that monninghoff wasn't commited when hyland signed. hyland was brought in for his shooting and it seems as though monninghoff is essentially playing that role. it was great to see gonzaga come in with an offer, to let hyland play big time bball w/out having to go prep school, but the monninghoff signing really nullified his biggest asset to the team.
also while i dont doubt his talent, i do think gonzaga is bringing in an incredible class of guards next year. i see gbj as an instant impact player, who should see lots of minutes at the 2. unfortunately for hyland i think the staff has recruited over him, especially with the somewhat surprising signing of monninghoff. therefore i wish he had stayed with vermont.

I'm glad for the clarification, because the first post seemed like you were throwing Hyland under the bus. Next year will be interesting, to say the least (I'm told that we aren't supposed to talk about this until next year, but I don't care). Just as it has taken a PG by committee to replace Bouldin, it may be a SG by committee next year to replace Gray. If Bell and Hyland are as good at shooting as the reports, that would be a nice 1-2 punch. But is Hyland going to be a better player than Dranginis? I agree with your point about MM, but at least they don't play the same position. This year did seem like the year when we really could use Hyland's talents, and I hope he gets to contribute in the near future. If he can establish himself this year as a player that Few trusts it should give him the leg up next year on the newbies.