PDA

View Full Version : Zen + GUBoards

Stache
12-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Has anyone else realized that 7 months per year this board is virtually filled with speculation (summer time in particular). Its a guilty pleasure to read the hype and dream: "Final Four". "Best front court in the country". "Carter and Hyland hit every open three". Then, as in life, reality happens. Disappointment, anger, misplaced hostility.

What if we adopt Fr. Tony's mantra: "the best is yet to come?" We might not make big, huge predictions. We might wait and see how a talented new kid reacts to college, big time athletes and speed, and we wait until they develop? Would we be happier? Would we have appreciated the last 11 yrs more than moving from success into scheming about the "next step?"

I'm not advocating that we stagnate, but the supreme players who single handedly change the status of a program aren't coming this Spokane "school.". They are announcing their locations on tv and they play at a "program" for about a year. I don't want that. Instead, let's watch and appreciate developing teams and talents, and then the best is yet to come.

deathchina
12-12-2010, 07:45 AM
I think pundits really stoked the flames with the National Championship talk. It's become ever so obvious what a joke that was, and reality can be tough to digest.

We aren't going to impress anyone with our OOC results but if we are solid in WCC play AND beat Memphis maybe we can still get an at large. That Memphis game is very key to showing the team is improving. I'm not sure how much stock people will put in a WCC demolition, even if we can pull it off.

And if all else fails, just win the WCC tourney!

Reborn
12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Nice thread, Stache. Especially on a Sunday after a heartbreaking loss at Notre Dame. Of course "The best is yet to come" is one of my mantras, but currently I am using, JUST KEEP IMPROVING. I think that's what this team needs to do. Everyone on this team needs to improve. They need to improve as individual players and as a team. Yesterday was the first time I saw some improvement by some of the players.

Basketball is a very passionate sport. It draws out passions, feelings, that could not be expressed in any other arena of life, and I think that that's what makes all sports so important and meaningful in a society. I think we all need a break from "reality" and sports give us an opportunity to do that, especially basketball. Believe me, most of the time I'm a raving maniac during a Zag game.

Personally, for me the mantra "the best is yet to come," does not mean that I'm supposed to somehow be a dispassionate, totally realistic fan who uses logic and objectivity as tools for the enjoyment of this game. I realize that there is a percentage of fans who are this way, and they may give rational balance to the otherwise totally crazy fan base. The truth is, however, that the greatest percentage of fans are crazy....at least for 4 or 5 hours on game day. I have always been one who has been very appreciative of this license for craziness a few hours a week (well I guess for me it's often more than a few). "The Best Is Yet To Come" is a mantra that gives me balance in my passionate need to analyze everything about me, including Zag basketball. The mantra reminds me that when things are going good, they can always get better, and it keeps me humble. And when things are going badly, it reminds me that things will get better if I just keep a proper perspective of it all. Currently it is the later use of this mantra that reminds me that things will get better, and the best part of the season lies ahead. Its a double edged mantra that provides me with both humility and hope.

Anyway, I just think its okay to be crazy for a few hours (or more for some of us) a week. I know its hard on many of the wives (and I imagine for some husbands too), but hopefully they too will forgive us and try to understand that the insanity is only temporarey, and beneath the insanity we are truly good husbands (wives), fathers (mothers) and friends.

gamagin
12-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Has anyone else realized that 7 months per year this board is virtually filled with speculation (summer time in particular). Its a guilty pleasure to read the hype and dream: "Final Four". "Best front court in the country". "Carter and Hyland hit every open three". Then, as in life, reality happens. Disappointment, anger, misplaced hostility.

What if we adopt Fr. Tony's mantra: "the best is yet to come?" We might not make big, huge predictions. We might wait and see how a talented new kid reacts to college, big time athletes and speed, and we wait until they develop? Would we be happier? Would we have appreciated the last 11 yrs more than moving from success into scheming about the "next step?"

I'm not advocating that we stagnate, but the supreme players who single handedly change the status of a program aren't coming this Spokane "school.". They are announcing their locations on tv and they play at a "program" for about a year. I don't want that. Instead, let's watch and appreciate developing teams and talents, and then the best is yet to come.

Fr. Tony, to me, was most famous for his quote: "To Be Continued . . . "

Your point, too, is an excellent one, timely and well said.